Looking at a used 05 stx 15f

Thereís one listed locally and guy is asked $4,500 without trailer. I can probably talk him down some more. I only have limited experience with 2 stroke yamahas but have always liked the look of the Kawis. My questions are: what do these go for during the off season? Also what should I look for. Other than the obvious. I plan to start it of course. Plan to check condition of pump area. Iím in San Diego so itís probably a majority saltwater ski. Plan to check condition of impeller. Going to ask if any cavitation. Also, how do these ride? My other ski is a GP1200r and I love how relatively light and nimble it feel. I have a feeling the STX will be somewhat similar. What kind of top speed should I expect ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGP1200R View Post
    Thereís one listed locally and guy is asked $4,500 without trailer. I can probably talk him down some more. I only have limited experience with 2 stroke yamahas but have always liked the look of the Kawis. My questions are: what do these go for during the off season? Also what should I look for. Other than the obvious. I plan to start it of course. Plan to check condition of pump area. Iím in San Diego so itís probably a majority saltwater ski. Plan to check condition of impeller. Going to ask if any cavitation. Also, how do these ride? My other ski is a GP1200r and I love how relatively light and nimble it feel. I have a feeling the STX will be somewhat similar. What kind of top speed should I expect ? Any advice will be greatly appreciated
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6141.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	468453

The price seems a little high. Should be a $2,500 to $3,000 dollar ski.

+1
    Prices are inflated right now across the board so for the market itís probably a decent price. Top speed will depend on condition of pump and engine wear but low 60ís is pretty ideal for these. Iíd check the oil for cleanness, check the flush port for signs of use (should be flushed after every salt water ride with salt-away or similar) make sure the gauge cluster is in decent shape. Also look for corrosion or leaks around the exhaust manifold to waterbox coupling. Ask if the pump has been rebuilt (even stx pumps were subject to kawiís pump bearing failures). If all those items are in tip top shape and the ski has been super well maintained, then the asking price sounds reasonable. A lot of stx tech is in our build threads Iíve noticed

+1
    I agree with dcuhpw, current pricing is rather high. I've been watching Craigslist daily for another 1500 engine and I think $4K would be right in line with what I've been seeing.

You mentioned the 2-stroke Yamahas, you do know that the -15F is a 4-stroke, right?

5. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I agree with dcuhpw, current pricing is rather high. I've been watching Craigslist daily for another 1500 engine and I think $4K would be right in line with what I've been seeing.

You mentioned the 2-stroke Yamahas, you do know that the -15F is a 4-stroke, right?
    Yes I do know itís a 4-stroke. Hence why Iím considering it. Yeah it seems the used market is kind of high in general right now. Probably a lot to do with pandemic. Iím going to remain patient. Iíd really like a green one anyway since itís be a Kawi. I always like to associated Yami blue and Kawi green. Wouldnít ever consider a sea-doo. Just not a fan of the styling. Never have been. Thanks again for replies

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The fuel system likes to corrode and take out the injectors, check for rust in the tank and plan on replacing the pump, filter, and reg. Budget for spark plugs, and fuel injector cleaning. The iac motor sticks and will kill the engine coming back to idle. Check the thread in my sig for more common issues and how to fix them.

Sean

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The fuel system likes to corrode and take out the injectors, check for rust in the tank and plan on replacing the pump, filter, and reg. Budget for spark plugs, and fuel injector cleaning. The iac motor sticks and will kill the engine coming back to idle. Check the thread in my sig for more common issues and how to fix them.

Sean
    Thank you very much. What would you say all this would run me roughly. That way I have an idea in case I want to make an offer. Thanks again

Thread Information