Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by chamilton89 View Post
    Three different CPS sensors have been tested (Original, OEM, and aftermarket) and both the OEM and aftermarket both showed between 2 and 3 VAC during cranking, more than enough to show the RPM's to the ECM. Wiring to the ECM was also checked with no issues. During cranking, no RPM is shown the majority of the time with blips of RPM shown. During these blips, the starter motor stops cranking as over 1600 RPM, it is supposed to do. Of course the ski still does not start and the starter motor starts cranking right again.

SO, all of this being said, I feel confidant that the CPS is no longer the issue and it has become very likely this is now an ECM issue. Everything else on the ECM seems to be working without issue. No error codes and I can fire both the spark plugs and injectors manually using the candoo. All the pins are clean and the ECM itself is in perfect physical condition. Still my issue seems to be that it cannot read the CPS sensor input correctly and cannot discern the rotation of the crank correctly.

Sadly, this tells me the ECM is busted. My question is, now what? From what I can tell, I have a few options. I can go used (crap shoot) for like 6-7 hundred dollars. I can send the ECM off to have it bench tested for ~$100 bucks (Westside Powersports?) or it looks like I can still get them brand new for about a grand. Looking for any and all thoughts on next steps. Is it worth having it tested? What is the likelihood it can be fixed/reprogrammed and saved? Does anyone have a ECM for a 2006 GTX that I could borrow to verify my ECM is busted and possibly buy? I don't really trust eBay sellers. Anyway, looking for guidance before I make a $1000 decision. Thanks.
    Buy the new ECU from the dealer and have them marry it to the cluster..

Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Buy the new ECU from the dealer and have them marry it to the cluster..
    I can marry myself with the candoo. So thatís not an issue. Just not sure about spending almost a grand for a new unit from a dealer, especially without knowing for sure thatís my issue.

+1
    can you put a sc ecu in it ,just to see if it fires ?i know it wouldn't run correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by rtarford View Post
    can you put a sc ecu in it ,just to see if it fires ?i know it wouldn't correctly.
    So thatís a thought as well. I have an 06 RXT I could pull the ECU from but donít want to mess up the ECU or cause damage to the GTX using a SC ECU

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    post #10 is telling me that the ecu is damaged.

before flattening your wallet, check the wiring harness and the connector plug carefully

for the purpose of a "see if it fires test" you won't damage the engine using the sc ecu, but you are wise being concerned about damaging the ecu.

like the missiles on the red ocotober, it's not wise to take pot shots using an ecu, a careful diagnostic reduces the risk considerably

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    post #10 is telling me that the ecu is damaged.

before flattening your wallet, check the wiring harness and the connector plug carefully

for the purpose of a "see if it fires test" you won't damage the engine using the sc ecu, but you are wise being concerned about damaging the ecu.

like the missiles on the red ocotober, it's not wise to take pot shots using an ecu, a careful diagnostic reduces the risk considerably
    And...?

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    And...?
    Well thanks for checking back in! Being involved in a bunch of forums, I totally missed your original post. Still at a standstill. A number of people have said that it could damage the ECU and frankly, Iíd rather have one ski dead than possibly two. Now that it seems to be an ECU issue, the question remains used, new, repair or dealer. Such an expensive component really makes me pause on the next step.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information