Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions for 2021 GP1800R SVHO & HO owners

I'm 99% sure the new 2021 GP1800R is going to be my next Waverunner come springtime, I'm just not sure if I should go SVHO or HO?

I currently own a FX SVHO and like most owners, I love the acceleration (top speed isn't important to me at all) but HATE the fuel consumption and the worry about "potential" supercharger issues (I know SC issues aren't typical, but owning the HO version eliminates it, so that's my thinking) I only ride on my home lake, mostly calm and light chop conditions and mostly by myself with the occasional ride with my 2 young kids, my lake does NOT have an on the water gas station so I refuel with jugs. I've always owned FX HO's due to their added stability, exclusive features, great fuel consumption, reliability and storage capacity. Now that the new GP1800R's have mostly all of the same features (Cruise, No Wake, Connext, footwell drains, ect) I like the idea of getting a slightly smaller & lighter Waverunner but really not losing the features I like from the FX series.

My main questions are:
    • How much top speed and acceleration do you lose going from the SVHO to the HO? I've heard the top speed difference is about 4-5mph and acceleration is still really good in the HO, but obviously the SVHO is untouchable here...
    • How much better is the fuel consumption in the HO vs SVHO? If you ride the HO version like most SVHO riders do (WOT and pinning the throttle most of the time) is the fuel consumption still alot better compared to the SVHO?

From the limited info I've been able to find online, it sounds like the regular GP1800R HO version is still VERY Quick & Fast and the performance drop from the SVHO isn't as noticeable as it is in the FX series? Is this a good assumption to listen to?

Any help is much appreciated!

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    The performance drop is substantial. Owning both versions, I speak from experience. The only way you'd be happy with the HO is if you really don't care about the top speed or acceleration. The Ho acceleration is good until about 35-40 Mph. after that its a lot slower than the SVHO. I don't see a big difference in fuel use. Its 1MPG different on the same ride, Ive done the math.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterzx225 View Post
    I'm 99% sure the new 2021 GP1800R is going to be my next Waverunner come springtime, I'm just not sure if I should go SVHO or HO?

I currently own a FX SVHO and like most owners, I love the acceleration (top speed isn't important to me at all) but HATE the fuel consumption and the worry about "potential" supercharger issues (I know SC issues aren't typical, but owning the HO version eliminates it, so that's my thinking) I only ride on my home lake, mostly calm and light chop conditions and mostly by myself with the occasional ride with my 2 young kids, my lake does NOT have an on the water gas station so I refuel with jugs. I've always owned FX HO's due to their added stability, exclusive features, great fuel consumption, reliability and storage capacity. Now that the new GP1800R's have mostly all of the same features (Cruise, No Wake, Connext, footwell drains, ect) I like the idea of getting a slightly smaller & lighter Waverunner but really not losing the features I like from the FX series.

My main questions are:
    • How much top speed and acceleration do you lose going from the SVHO to the HO? I've heard the top speed difference is about 4-5mph and acceleration is still really good in the HO, but obviously the SVHO is untouchable here...
    • How much better is the fuel consumption in the HO vs SVHO? If you ride the HO version like most SVHO riders do (WOT and pinning the throttle most of the time) is the fuel consumption still alot better compared to the SVHO?

From the limited info I've been able to find online, it sounds like the regular GP1800R HO version is still VERY Quick & Fast and the performance drop from the SVHO isn't as noticeable as it is in the FX series? Is this a good assumption to listen to?

Any help is much appreciated!
    If you have never experienced an svho ski. I would say the Ho is more than adequate. However,going from a boosted ski to a n/a ski, in my experience you will get bored rather quickly. 0-30 pulls are quite impressive on the yamaha n/a skis. But after that,you will clearly feel the lack of svho power. Top speed (wit the the svho limiter in place)as you mentioned is not a huge despair. But getting there is a completly different story,,, as far as fuel economy goes. My guess is you will be riding the ho pretty hard ,the svho will not need to be driven as hard for the same smiles per gallon, so fuel economy may not be as significant as you may have thought!! The s/c clutch for 2021 has been revised with wider sprag mating surface and higher tooth count,time will tell but this is expected to solve the low hour clutch failures on the svho ski's , lastly. If you plan on carrying passengers, keep in mind the gp's will offer nowhere near the stability and overall feeling of comfort/ confidence when riding 2 and 3 up. Just keep that in mind since your coming from an fx. TheGood luck with your decision

4. +1 by:

You're going to drop about 4mph and getting to that top end will not be as violent... Throttle is not as touchy on the HO's, which I kind of like when I have passengers honestly.

(based off the 18' HO and SVHO powerplants...)

I appreciate the feedback! exactly the types of info i'm looking for! Only thing I question is if any of these impressions change at all with the unknown/newer 2021 version of the GP1800R vs what's known/experienced with the 2019-2020 versions?

Questions for 2021 GP1800R SVHO & HO owners

an HO will seem boring after a SVHO. i had a ho and rode a rxp and was done with a ho. also the gas milage will b worse on a ho because youll have to dog it to go where as the svho can loaf allong without flogging it. my sc clutch had 250 hrs on it before going bad

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterzx225 View Post
    I appreciate the feedback! exactly the types of info i'm looking for! Only thing I question is if any of these impressions change at all with the unknown/newer 2021 version of the GP1800R vs what's known/experienced with the 2019-2020 versions?
    that is a good point. And not one that many of us can answer. The riding experience and overall " feel" of the 2021 ski's iam sure is going to be enhanced On both n/a and boosted ski's, but from a pure performance standpoint. The gap in power
    and seat of your pants feeling will remain the same as previous years between the two ski's

I just went from 2013 SHO, to a 2021 HO. I am still in break in with 5.5 hours, so no WOT runs but I can say I am very happy with it, as I traded for many of the same concerns you have (SC issues in future and fuel consumption). I do FEEL that I am using less fuel, possibly because of keeping rpm down while in break in.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDS64 View Post
    I just went from 2013 SHO, to a 2021 HO. I am still in break in with 5.5 hours, so no WOT runs but I can say I am very happy with it, as I traded for many of the same concerns you have (SC issues in future and fuel consumption). I do FEEL that I am using less fuel, possibly because of keeping rpm down while in break in.
    5.5 hours and you're still in the break in phase??

I don't own a 2021 but I did break in my 2019 GP1800R going by the owner's/operator's manual:

For the first 5 mins, operate with the engine speed at 2000r/min
    For the next 90 mins, operate with the engine speed below 5000r/min

That's a total of 1 hr and 35 minutes. After that, I had the throttle wide open.

+1
    I love my 2012 VXS and my 2013 VXR. I owned both of these skis for years before I purchased my first SVHO. I always thought that those normally aspirated skis were awesome performance machines. They are but the SVHO is a brutal performance machine!

People are talking about fuel usage so that means money. Let's not forget that the normally aspirated skis use 87 octane regular unleaded vs premium fuel for the SVHO. That's a 50-55 cent a gallon addition here where I live! So even if the normally aspirated skis burned the same amount of fuel per hour (which I don't think that they do. I think they burn less) you'd still save close to 25% in fuel money at today's fuel prices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information