Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advise

Need advise

I had zero compression on one cylinder. Took motor apart and that one cylinder and piston have damage. My main concern is the crank. How do I know if it sustained any damage?. Iím weighing my options at this point. Assuming at minimum Iíll need a new cylinder and position to replace damaged ones. Iím also wondering what caused this issue to begin with. I had carbs rebuilt prior to this and also noticed spark plug on bad cylinder was whiteish. Assuming it was running lean. Basically need advise on how to move forward. Thanks. Ski is a 2001 gp1200rClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0247.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	468433
    Last edited by SDGP1200R; 10-26-2020 at 10:56 AM.

+1
    Pull the motor, split the cases and remove the crank. Inspection specs are in the service manual - and you have to clean the snot out of it along with the cases. I cleaned mine by soaking it in mixture of Dawn and water in a bucket (flipping from one end to the other), rinse really well, blow it out with an air hose. Lubricate crank w 2-Stroke oil and out in a hefty bag until ready to assemble. Same with the cases, clean, clean, clean.

3. +1 by:

Exactly the type of advice Iím looking for! Thank you! This would be my first rebuild so Iím a little nervous. I figure I have the whole off season to get it done. Please keep the advice coming!

Which route should I go as far as replacement parts for bad cylinder and piston (which vendor)?

+1
    Bad cyl you have a few options, none real cheap. A: send it to millennium or similar place like us chrome and have the nikasil replated. B: post a want to buy ad on here and see if you can find one that someone is selling from a part-out (I'd go this route first in a heartbeat). C: Try to find one in eBay. D: buy a reman that will have a sleeve in it from SBT (not Nikasil, and its a huge debate of whether you can run plated and sleeved cyl in same motor. No dif performance wise but the sleeved one means you have to let the motor warm up before cranking on it)
    Buy the cyl first. Once you have it in hand, take it to a shop and have it mic'd (measuring the bore), buy the piston according to the bore size of the cyl you end up with.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg426690 View Post
    Bad cyl you have a few options, none real cheap. A: send it to millennium or similar place like us chrome and have the nikasil replated. B: post a want to buy ad on here and see if you can find one that someone is selling from a part-out (I'd go this route first in a heartbeat). C: Try to find one in eBay. D: buy a reman that will have a sleeve in it from SBT (not Nikasil, and its a huge debate of whether you can run plated and sleeved cyl in same motor. No dif performance wise but the sleeved one means you have to let the motor warm up before cranking on it)
    Buy the cyl first. Once you have it in hand, take it to a shop and have it mic'd (measuring the bore), buy the piston according to the bore size of the cyl you end up with.
    Yeah Iím keeping an eye out on eBay etc. thereís another guy that just posted a WTB for same. Wondering what route heís going. Youíre right they ainít cheap! ($400-$500). Iím probably going to update this post as I progress. Thank again for help

+1
    A year ago cylinders were going for cheap! Wow how parts prices change!

+1
    Looks like the counterweights on the rear cylinder are rusty. Has it had water in it?

Need advise

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Looks like the counterweights on the rear cylinder are rusty. Has it had water in it?
    It might have. And I did notice that rust on crank. So what does this mean? Is that crank still usable?. Iíll posted latest photos. Got the motor out and itís sitting on a table now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0378.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	468748

Name:	IMG_0379.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	468749

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	192.2 KB 
ID:	468750

Need advise

This is a big concern for me. Lots of play on connecting rod. What does this mean? Sorry for all the rookie questions. This would be my first potential rebuild. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information