+1

Supercharging a 15f

Was just thinking about supercharging a 15f since i keep coming across these aisin amr500 superchargers frequently used in smaller Japanese cars. They’ve become very popular in the aftermarket since they are cheap, plentiful and have tons of pulley, mounting, and plenum options. They are 500cc per revolution so they should provide low-moderate boost on our little 1.5’s. Not really planning in doing this but I thought it may be an interesting idea somone could run with. Was thinking somewhere like 6-8psi on a stock 15f engine would probably be safe but some of you have extensive experience with fi on the stx platform. Here are some ideas:
    https://bahnbrenner.com/vw_audi/prod...0_Supercharger

These can be had for about $200 all day long.
    Was thinking it could be mounted under the rear bucket facing the engine. There is just dead space there (unless you need the rear bucket for storage)

Just opening the idea for discussion. As I mentioned, I have no plans to do this mod at this time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D2098274-BBFB-47B5-8F84-E7E20255442A.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	468431  

+1
    Here are some mounts and universal flanges:
    http://thedubshop.com/products/turbo...superchargers/
    Last edited by dcuhpw; 10-25-2020 at 06:45 AM.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The biggest issue you will face with doing the charger there is driveline flex hucking the belt off. I considered a system like that for a while but didn't feel confident that the play in the motor mounts or thru hull bearing would be rigid enough to keep the belt from getting tossed or chewed up.

If you figure you are going to spin between 7500-8500 rpms, the alignment and tension on the belt need to be damn near perfect.

Not saying it won't work, just that I wasn't confident enough to try it.

Sean
    Last edited by smokeysevin; 10-25-2020 at 04:25 PM.

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Yea I thought about it years ago. Was thinking of a vertical plate/bracket between the thru hull and charger with the tensioner and bearing holder incorporated into it. Seemed like would need a custom driveshaft with more bearing/seal area. Then need a spot for the intercooler

+1
    I personally really prefer the centrifugal superchargers but never looked in to provisioning one off the flywheel and machining the pto housing. Given the size and weight of the little amr500 I bet it could be setup to be mounted to the engine to flex along with it. What about the amount of boost stock pistons can take? Would 6-8lbs be acceptable? Putting out around 250 is what I was thinking. Also have to consider fuel and timing.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    I personally really prefer the centrifugal superchargers but never looked in to provisioning one off the flywheel and machining the pto housing. Given the size and weight of the little amr500 I bet it could be setup to be mounted to the engine to flex along with it. What about the amount of boost stock pistons can take? Would 6-8lbs be acceptable? Putting out around 250 is what I was thinking. Also have to consider fuel and timing.

The riva kits ran the vortech blowers off the crank coupler and were bolted to the motor. I would bet with a 1-2mm spacer you could run 5-7psi. Just a guess though and you would want to be conservative with the timing and fueling.

Sean

Thread Information