Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Broken Ride Plate Bolt

Broken Ride Plate Bolt
    I was taking my rideplate off last night and the bolt broke (picture attached). I tried heating it before I took it loose and thought the thread lock just had it tight. I tried to turn it with a pair of pliers and vise grips but that didnít budge it. I also tried a screw extractor but didnít have any drill bits that would go into the stainless bolt. If Iím unable to remove the bolt how hard is it to replace the inserts on this model. I read somewhere about doing it on an older model but I didnít know if it was similar here. This is about par for the course for me.
    2015 FX HO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37897EBC-9C33-484F-BA80-6FF08C2FDB26.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	468414  

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Te insert isn’t hard to replace. I had that happen on my gp 1800. I ended up removing the insert to get the broken bolt out. I was able to reinstall the insert to the hull after that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Te insert isnít hard to replace. I had that happen on my gp 1800. I ended up removing the insert to get the broken bolt out. I was able to reinstall the insert to the hull after that.
    what all was involved? The inserts looks like they would be hard to reach. Seems like atleast all of the exhaust system would have to be removed.

+1
    It looks like there is enough exposed for you to get vise-grips on but you said you tried that. One option would be to cut a slot in it with a cutoff wheel on a dremel and use a large screwdriver turned with a wrench but Iím not hopeful on that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DealsGapCobra View Post
    It looks like there is enough exposed for you to get vise-grips on but you said you tried that. One option would be to cut a slot in it with a cutoff wheel on a dremel and use a large screwdriver turned with a wrench but I’m not hopeful on that.
    that might work but not sure since the vice grips didn’t. I took it yesterday to my father in laws shop for winter storage and he has a lot more tools than I do so hopefully he can get it. He also welds so he might be able to weld a nut to it and use that. I’m just trying to see how bad the insert would be to replace in case we fail at getting the bolt out. I have till spring to get it fixed so not a huge rush.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Which side is it on? If it’s on the right side of the hull it’s harder to deal with because the ride motor is there. On the left it’s a piece of cake once you pull the plastic exhaust crap out

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. GP1800 View Post
    Which side is it on?

If itís on the right side of the hull itís harder to deal with because the ride motor is there.

On the left itís a piece of cake once you pull the plastic exhaust crap out
    Or maybe the other way around

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Or maybe the other way around
    yea all depends on what direction you are looking from lol....it is under the ride motor thing I guess (silver metal thing at the back) so on the right side if looking from front of the ski.

+1
    This is why it is important to learn port vs starboard.

Hopefully cutting a slit and using a a screwdriver will work.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by micccain View Post
    Broken Ride Plate Bolt
    I was taking my rideplate off last night and the bolt broke (picture attached). I tried heating it before I took it loose and thought the thread lock just had it tight. I tried to turn it with a pair of pliers and vise grips but that didn’t budge it. I also tried a screw extractor but didn’t have any drill bits that would go into the stainless bolt. If I’m unable to remove the bolt how hard is it to replace the inserts on this model. I read somewhere about doing it on an older model but I didn’t know if it was similar here. This is about par for the course for me.
    2015 FX HO
    I would try spraying it with blaster penetrating oil and tapping it with a hammer to try and break the bond of corrosion. Then try those vise grips again, if your able to remove that bolt make sure you chase all the bolt holes with a tap to clean those threads up
    GOOD LUCK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information