Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    So let’s say I’m unable to get the bolt out or it seems like it has messed up the threads what is the process for getting the inserts replaced?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by micccain View Post
    that might work but not sure since the vice grips didnít. I took it yesterday to my father in laws shop for winter storage and he has a lot more tools than I do so hopefully he can get it. He also welds so he might be able to weld a nut to it and use that. Iím just trying to see how bad the insert would be to replace in case we fail at getting the bolt out. I have till spring to get it fixed so not a huge rush.
    I started to suggest the welding technique but stopped. That is my go-to method but you want to make sure it to get the bolt too hot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by micccain View Post
    So let’s say I’m unable to get the bolt out or it seems like it has messed up the threads what is the process for getting the inserts replaced?
    Ok, so nothing works getting the bolt out
    First you have to gain access to the bracket, so remove what you have to to gain access. From the rideplate side screw-in your good bolt Then from the inside heat the bracket and the blob of glue with a heat gun until it’s good and hot. Then from the rideplate side smack the good bolt and the broken one until the bracket comes loose
    Then you must remove any glue and sealant from the inside and lightly sand to scratch the surface, clean with acetone and reinstall new bracket with 3m 4200 or 5200 and bolt rideplate back on and let sealant dry before putting back in the water
    Hope this helps

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by BLASTER 1 View Post
    Ok, so nothing works getting the bolt out
    First you have to gain access to the bracket, so remove what you have to to gain access. From the rideplate side screw-in your good bolt Then from the inside heat the bracket and the blob of glue with a heat gun until it’s good and hot. Then from the rideplate side smack the good bolt and the broken one until the bracket comes loose
    Then you must remove any glue and sealant from the inside and lightly sand to scratch the surface, clean with acetone and reinstall new bracket with 3m 4200 or 5200 and bolt rideplate back on and let sealant dry before putting back in the water
    Hope this helps

This honestly will be the easiest way to deal with it. I didn’t even need heat to pop mine out. But it does help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information