Help finding a new lightweight high performance ski

I'd like a light nimble sit down ski that is fast up to 50mph, hopefully with a large diameter jet.

The only use for the ski is playing in the breaking zone of surf, so surfing waves, jumping forwards and backwards on broken and unbroken, outrunning, riding the top as it breaks. I literally don't care about anything else..... just waves

I have a Yamaha VXR and would like the same power or more but in a lighter ski.

Is there such a thing ?

TIA
    Last edited by K447; 10-23-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Have you looked at the Yamaha EXR?

+1
    You don't need the same amount of power in a smaller ski like an EXR because it weighs less and has less drag in the water. EXR weighs around 550 pounds and the VXR weighs around 740. EXR 110 hp and VXR 180hp. In theory they would be close in performance if you just look at power to weight but it's not the case, but they are probably a lot closer than you think they are in performance. 500lbs and 110+hp is a pretty good combination, it's why two strokes are still worth a good amount of money and everyone hasn't given up on them yet.

Thanks, I'm interested in it but they don't do test drives and I'm a big bloke so I'm worried my weight might kill it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
    I'd like a light nimble sit down ski that is fast up to 50mph, hopefully with a large diameter jet.

The only use for the ski is playing in the breaking zone of surf, so surfing waves, jumping forwards and backwards on broken and unbroken, outrunning, riding the top as it breaks. I literally don't care about anything else..... just waves

I have a Yamaha VXR and would like the same power or more but in a lighter ski.

Is there such a thing ? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
    ... I'm a big bloke ...
    Looking at your brief, the only engine with more power than the VXR in a Yamaha is the SVHO engine. A lot more power overall and probably a lot more low end thrust if tuned appropriately (engine tune and jet pump/impeller/intake grate configuration).

Unless you want to do an engine swap into the EX or EXR hull the GP1800R SVHO version of the ‘VXR’ hull (now named GP1800R HO) would provide the lightest weight (with more thrust) using the NanoXcel2 hull material.

That said, some people might be concerned about hull longevity in constant surf jumping conditions. How has your VXR hull been fairing in terms of damage, cracks, etc?

Does your VXR impeller cavitate or ventilate during hard acceleration from low speeds?
    Have you changed anything from factory under the hull?
    What year is your VXR?

+1
    Sorry for asking, but we really need to know your height and weight to gauge what tyoe of ski might suit you.

Had a chance recently to ride a GP1800R HO and its an absolute dream. You can definitely feel the difference in weight and handling characteristics with the new nano cell hull compared to the traditional hulls.looking forward to seeing some second hand models come available in the future.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxdecoy View Post
    ... a GP1800R HO and its an absolute dream.

You can definitely feel the difference in weight and handling characteristics with the new NanoXcel hull compared to the traditional hulls.

looking forward to seeing some second hand models come available in the future.
    What years/models of ‘traditional hulls’ are you comparing the GP1800 HO with?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxdecoy View Post
    ... a GP1800R HO and its an absolute dream.

You can definitely feel the difference in weight and handling characteristics with the new NanoXcel hull compared to the traditional hulls.

looking forward to seeing some second hand models come available in the future.
    What years/models of ‘traditional hulls’ are you comparing the GP1800 HO with?

The VXR was first sold in 2015 (what is now called GP1800R HO) so there are five year old used examples available.

Thread Information