Unhappy 2011 Seadoo RXT-X 260 AS problems

I purchased an RXTX 260 As. Shortly after purchase I took it to the dealer for an oil change. They told me previous owners had the ski in and there were known issues. I had checked compression and it was passable at at 145PSI, but right after the oil change on the first time out, something went wrong and the motor started smoking. Shut it off and got a tow back to the dock. There is oil in the hull, and the number 3 (assuming #3 is furthest rear) cylinder now has zero compression. The spark plug ground electrode in #3 was pushed into the center electrode, and the spark plug is coated in oil. The motor runs barely on 2 cylinders and so I am assuming I am screwed and it is time to rebuild the motor. I have never done it before, but I can't run out and buy a new motor either, so I am going to try to fix the original one. I am just looking to fix it and return it to stock working performance levels. Before anyone asks, I have already purchased the service manual and read it over. I am assuming I need to get the motor out, take it apart and look it over to see what failed. Is there something else I should be doing before I go to all that trouble? Any advice on next steps is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bumpskier View Post
    I purchased ... [2011] RXTX 260 As.

Shortly after purchase I took it to the dealer for an oil change.
    They told me previous owners had the ski in and there were known issues.

... the first time out, something went wrong and the motor started smoking. ... number 3 ... cylinder now has zero compression...
    Welcome.

What were the ‘known issues’ the dealer told you about?

Did you and the dealer discuss what the known issues entailed, and what risk there might be in running the engine without first addressing the known issues?

The dealer tech said there was an engine knock, and that the ski had previously been in due to an oil leak. They told me the ski had likely been run while low on oil at that time (first owner) and was later brought in for hard starting issues (first owner again). This issue was diagnosed as lack of compression. It didn't all make sense to me because compression seemed fine when I checked it myself. When I purchased the ski, the latest owner (number 3 owner or 4) handed over repair records where the carbon seal had been replaced and the super charger had been rebuilt at around 100 hours so I was thinking that all was good. Records of an oil leak repair were not handed over. I requested all the maintenance records from the dealer, but they told me they were unable to provide them. They have them and could tell me about them verbally, but couldn't print out the hard copies. After the oil change, I was not told there were any risks from running the ski, just that from their perspective they were warning me that I was probably in for trouble as they has also notified the previous owner (number 3 or 4) of these same issues and they had likely flipped the ski onto me to get out of the problem. It isn't like they told me these things at the sale. I test rode the ski and it seemed ok. Top speed was 66 - 67 mph and there were no check engine lights. Oil seemed clean and was at the proper level on the dip stick. At the time I didn't have a way to check compression, but I had checked it before taking it in for the oil change and it was 145 in all 3 cylinders. It could have been better, but that seemed ok.

Additionally for background, the ski now has 130 hrs. I put about 5 hours on it before taking it in for the oil change. During the 5 hours, I didn't have any hard starting issues, or excessive smoke. If I didn't know better, I would assume something happened to it at the shop when the oil change was being performed. I don't want to point fingers with no evidence though.
    Last edited by bumpskier; 10-22-2020 at 09:21 PM.

+1
    The dealer tech said there was an engine knock, and that the ski had previously been in due to an oil leak. They told me the ski had likely been run while low on oil ... later brought in for hard starting issues ... was diagnosed as lack of compression.

It didn't all make sense to me because compression seemed fine when I checked it myself.

... repair records ... carbon seal ... super charger ... rebuilt ...

... maintenance records from the dealer ... tell me about them verbally ... from their perspective they were warning me that I was probably in for trouble as they has also notified the previous owner ...

... compression ... checked it before taking it in for the oil change and it was 145 in all 3 cylinders...
    How did you do your compression check?
    Did you put any oil into the spark plug holes?
    Throttle held wide open while cranking the engine?

Engine knock and low compression are mechanical conditions that do not self-repair. The dealer knew about the mechanical problems and knew they had never been addressed by their repair people, correct?

The basis upon which you continued to run the motor (after the dealer had warned you) was primarily your own compression test results and that the engine in the prior 5 hours of your riding had ‘seemed’ to be running ‘normally’

If the dealer is telling you the truth then perhaps the prior owner had an additional service invoice (which you did not see) - not a ‘repair record’ but the diagnostic report of the mechanical issues.

Exactly, knock and compression loss don't self repair, so it didn't all add up. I ran my compression test with wide open throttle and didn't add any oil to the cylinders. Also, I ran the test with the other plugs in, and also with them out and got the same result. And yes, I ran it because it seemed ok. Of course I took what the dealer said with a grain of salt. I also spoke to another seadoo repair shop near me and they didn't think it was worth the effort to pull it all apart given that it was seemingly running fine and compression was ok.

+1
    ... I also spoke to another seadoo repair shop near me and they didn't think it was worth the effort to pull it all apart given that it was seemingly running fine and compression was ok.
    The second shop did not actually inspect/diagnose the machine, correct?

Correct, 2nd shop didn't inspect.

First shop didn't do much either except tell me about previous history. The knock the guy described, I couldn't hear myself, but maybe my ear isn't as trained as his.

+1
    Nothing they did while changing the oil would have caused the cylinder failure short of running it without oil.

What's done is done. Start by pulling the head, its a lot easier to do while its still in the ski.

That should give you the reason for the failure.
    Last edited by K447; 10-23-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Thread Information