Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Trickle Charger - Battery still connected?

Hi All.

I have a 2006 GTX Limited.

I wanted to know if it's OK to use a trickle charger (or any charger) on the battery while the battery is still installed in the ski?

Or do I need to disconnect the battery completely, or the positive cable at least?

Thanks !

+1
    I've been doing it for years. No issues with leaving it connected here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider210 View Post
    I've been doing it for years. No issues with leaving it connected here.
    Thanks for the response.

Which Battery Maintainer do you use/have?

I've got a Deltran 800 (800 milliamps) waterproof maintainer, as well as the larger automotive charger.

I have read I should push a lot of amps to the battery (it's an AGM) and so should use the maintainer.

I wanted to buy another Deltran like the model 800 I have, but I think they discontinued it.

+1
    black and decker been using these on all my equip for years never disconnect the battery

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051D3MP6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Spider210 View Post
    black and decker been using these on all my equip for years never disconnect the battery

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0051D3MP6...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    THANKS !!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pratzert View Post
    Hi All.

I have a 2006 GTX Limited.

I wanted to know if it's OK to use a trickle charger (or any charger) on the battery while the battery is still installed in the ski?

Or do I need to disconnect the battery completely, or the positive cable at least?

Thanks !

Never had an issue charging through the winter with it still connected in the craft.
    Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V, 0.75A

7. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pratzert View Post

I've got a Deltran 800 (800 milliamps) waterproof maintainer, as well as the larger automotive charger.

I have read I should push a lot of amps to the battery (it's an AGM) and so should use the maintainer.

I wanted to buy another Deltran like the model 800 I have, but I think they discontinued it.
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about battery charging and battery maintaining. These are different things.

Battery lifespan is maximized when the battery voltage is held at the optimal float voltage for the battery with 100% charge. Not overcharged, not undercharged. This is specified by the battery manufacturer. Optimal float voltage varies with battery type and temperature. Some battery maintainers have temperature compensation which can adjust the float voltage as the temperature charges.

AGM batteries (as found in Powersports) do well with a medium fast charge rate and can accept a heavy charge rate just fine. I use a BatteryMinder 8 amp charger. If I want to push a lot of charge to pump the battery up from a low charge state I may use the 8 amp rate. Most of the time for a charge top-off I will use 4 or 2 amp rate on the charger. In all cases the BatteryMinder switches modes and tapers the charge current and voltage as the battery charge % rises.

Once the battery is fully charged, you do not want to ‘push a lot of amps’ into any battery, AGM or otherwise. A modern decent quality smart charger should automatically reduce the charge rate as the battery approaches ‘full’ and then switch to a float voltage mode.

Float voltage does not ‘push’ a strong current into the battery. Float voltage simply maintains the battery at 100% charge, or close to it. If the battery is well below 100% the float voltage can slowly increase the charge level, eventually getting to near 100%

The Deltran 800mA waterproof charger does charge and then maintains the battery with a float voltage mode.
    This is what I use for longer term storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Deltran WP800 waterproof battery charger, operating instructions
    The two-colored status indicator LED light is available to determine whether the charger is operating in one of the 4 primary charge modes:
    Qualification/Initialization mode: The Monitor Circuit verifies appropriate battery voltage levels and good electrical continuity between the battery and the charger DC output.
    The bulk mode (full charge, constant current, battery is 0% to 80% charged),
    the absorption mode (high constant voltage, battery is 80% to 100% charged),
    or the storage/float maintenance mode (low constant voltage, battery is 100% to 103% charged)...

GREEN LIGHT ON STEADY –When the green light burns steady, the charge is complete and the battery can be returned to service if necessary. It can also stay connected to maintain the battery for an indefinite period of time

Quote Originally Posted by tiderider View Post
    Never had an issue charging through the winter with it still connected in the craft.
    Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V, 0.75A

Thanks for that info tiderider.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    There seems to be a lot of confusion about battery charging and battery maintaining. These are different things.

Battery lifespan is maximized when the battery voltage is held at the optimal float voltage for the battery with 100% charge. Not overcharged, not undercharged. This is specified by the battery manufacturer. Optimal float voltage varies with battery type and temperature. Some battery maintainers have temperature compensation which can adjust the float voltage as the temperature charges.

AGM batteries (as found in Powersports) do well with a medium fast charge rate and can accept a heavy charge rate just fine. I use a BatteryMinder 8 amp charger. If I want to push a lot of charge to pump the battery up from a low charge state I may use the 8 amp rate. Most of the time for a charge top-off I will use 4 or 2 amp rate on the charger. In all cases the BatteryMinder switches modes and tapers the charge current and voltage as the battery charge % rises.

Once the battery is fully charged, you do not want to ‘push a lot of amps’ into any battery, AGM or otherwise. A modern decent quality smart charger should automatically reduce the charge rate as the battery approaches ‘full’ and then switch to a float voltage mode.

Float voltage does not ‘push’ a strong current into the battery. Float voltage simply maintains the battery at 100% charge, or close to it. If the battery is well below 100% the float voltage can slowly increase the charge level, eventually getting to near 100%

The Deltran 800mA waterproof charger does charge and then maintains the battery with a float voltage mode.
    This is what I use for longer term storage.

Thanks K447.

I like my Deltrans 800 that I have now. I like the fact that it's "waterproof" and can hang outside if need be.....
    Last edited by pratzert; 10-22-2020 at 04:55 PM.

The reason the manual says not to charge while installed is due to fuel vapor that could ignite. keep the seat or hatch open and a charger that won't spark, you're good.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information