Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    +1
    I agree that using a battery tender is not a great idea. Most battery manufactures do not recommend them. My AGMs rarely need a charge in the off season and only when the drop to 12.65v. I only charge for a few hours to over night.

AGM batteries in my experience last much longer than flooded acid batteries. But the BIG advantage of an AGM is that they do not suffer from catastrophic failure like a flooded battery. I got stranded twice in one season back in 1999, and found Odyssey and AGM technology. Never having to worry about not getting back to the ramp because of a battery was the big reason I will never use a flooded battery again.

K, as far as the voltage requirements of Yuasa, I got my specs in an email from one of their tech guys two years ago when I bought my RXP. I will find it for you and post.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    ... the BIG advantage of an AGM is that they do not suffer from catastrophic failure like a flooded battery.

I got stranded twice in one season back in 1999 ...
    Similar story for me in 2013, but I had already switched mostly to Deka AGM by then. Except for one used PWC thatcame with a good battery so I didn’t replace the battery right away. Which failed suddenly during a mid-ride stop. Had to get towed back.

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=209973&p=2305465&viewfull=1#post2 305465

+1

Deltran 800mA Waterproof charger (022-0150-DL-WH) _NOT_ AGM compatible float voltage

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

The Deltran 800mA waterproof charger does charge and then maintain the battery with a float voltage mode.
    This is what I use for longer term storage.
    Upon further investigation apparently I should not be using this model charger.

It was rather cool today, air temp about 8C.

I checked the float voltage being provided by my Deltran Waterproof 800mA charger. I was disappointed to see it only delivering 13.4x volts for the float voltage despite the cool temperature. *

This is doubly unwelcome since I use Deka AGM batteries, which have a specified float voltage range requirement at this temperature (optimum 13.9 with 14.2 volts max) that is significantly higher than what the waterproof Deltran 800 is actually providing.

So this charger is providing at least 0.5 volt below the optimum for this Deka AGM battery
    Not good at all.

When I replaced the Deltran 800 Waterproof with my BatteryMinder 128CEC it held the float voltage close to 13.9, which is proper. Much better.

But I had not intended to use that expensive charger for long term connection on this particular battery as it will be sitting in a storage facility all winter.

* Note: The correct battery voltages for charging and for long term float maintenance mode vary with the temperature of the battery. As the temperature declines the required voltages increase. If the charger does not compensate for temperature the provided voltage from the charger will become out of range for the battery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	31B9702D-B66B-48A6-A26C-AD1248F1B915.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	468882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6DD2A911-3B57-452C-8B1C-5826F2F2A6E7.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	468883  

4. +1 by:

+1
    You could remove the battery and keep it on the charger at home. That's what I have done for years. I don't leave it on the charger though, only charge once it drops to 12.65v. No reason with a smart charger not to leave it in float mode, just never saw the need. CTEK US 7002 is about $115. How much is the Mender that you like cost?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Bilford View Post
    ... I don't leave it on the charger though, only charge once it drops to 12.65v.

No reason with a smart charger not to leave it in float mode, just never saw the need. ...

How much is the [BatteryMinder] that you like cost?
    https://www.batteryminders.com/

My primary smart charger is the BatteryMinder 128CEC1 model

Now that I know the Deltran 800 Waterproof is not properly AGM compatible I think I will also buy one of the AGM only 2012AGM model.

It sounds like you are recommending opposing methods for long term battery maintenance. Leaving it connected and NOT keeping it connected.

When using the desulfating BatteryMinder I prefer to keep the maintainer connected long term.

+1
    I was simply stating that you could take the battery home and use any charger you wish. I take my batteries home, but only charge if they drop to 12.65v. It takes weeks for my Odyssey to get to that level. They get down to 12.77-.78 and lose only about .01/week. I keep a log of the off season voltage readings to compare year over year to monitor the health of the battery. Its really no effort and I find it interesting. Obviously, I could not do this if the battery was on a charger.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information