Thread: Msx 140 value

+1

Msx 140 value

Hey guys, I'm here in wisconsin and have a 04 msx 140. Currently have the motor out. The Plan is replacing a piston and putting in new rings. Could anyone give me an idea on what a good running ski in very good shape is worth? Or am I better to part it out instead. How much Is the hull less the motor, emm and jet pump worth much. Just trying to decide which route to take. Thanks a bunch

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Worth depends on who is valuing the thing.

If you repair it, would you keep it and ride it?

If you parted it out, how much might you spend to replace it with another good running condition PWC? Including whatever repairs/service/etc that machine may need?

For many Polaris PWC owners the price it might sell for is less than what they value it at to themselves. They like their Polaris model and expect to continue riding and enjoying it. If not, it would probably already have been sold.

A hull minus the motor, EMM and jet pump does not have much value.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Worth depends on who is valuing the thing.

If you repair it, would you keep it and ride it?

If you parted it out, how much might you spend to replace it with another good running condition PWC? Including whatever repairs/service/etc that machine may need?

For many Polaris PWC owners the price it might sell for is less than what they value it at to themselves. They like their Polaris model and expect to continue riding and enjoying it. If not, it would probably already have been sold.

A hull minus the motor, EMM and jet pump does not have much value.
    Thanks for the response. I am looking at getting something smaller and less complicated. Just wondering what its worth.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by car22car View Post
    ... wondering what its worth.
    Most of the value is in the engine (if you get it back into running condition) and the EMM+injectors.

Jet pump has some value.

If you reassemble it into a working and water ready PWC the best market value is probably next spring.

I don’t know if there is much/any demand for older PWC in your area in this pre-winter season, let alone a Polaris.

Perhaps someone looking for an’ easy’ winter project?

+1
    Why did the failure happen? I find it odd that a fuel injected ski would have an issue like this. Usually people damage things because there's a lack of oil (probably ruled out by the fact it seems to be one cylinder unless a line fell off or something) or there's a problem with the system getting enough fuel and it leans out. Did someone run it when the regulator fell off or something?

One cylinder needing repair is usually a symptom of something else. It could be something bad, it could not be. Unless you know what is causing the cylinder problems, you're going to have to part it out as from a non-running ski, losing value on the parts. At least they would be freshwater still.

I was looking for one, I noticed they were going about 1000 to 1500 not running without a trailer, 1500 to 2500 not running with a trailer, and 3000 to 5000 running with a trailer depending on shape and hours and stuff. But that's just what I noticed after searching all summer. I was mostly looking for a Virage TX, MSX is a pretty rare ski from my experience and I don't see them up for sale very often. Obviously values are down in the fall and up in the spring normally, but it all depends on Wuhan Flu, late seasons values were through the roof still just because people wanted to buy jet skis way more than normal.

It would probably be best to fix it and sell if if you want something else. If you part it out, you're going to be left with some things that sell very quickly and a lot of stuff that won't sell for a while.

+1
    What do you mean by "less complicated" ? The MSX140 is a very basic, simple. high performance ski. Anything more modern will no doubt be a 4 stroke and *much* more complicated.

+1
    msx are gold here this year

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sdlvx View Post
    Why did the failure happen? I find it odd that a fuel injected ski would have an issue like this. Usually people damage things because there's a lack of oil (probably ruled out by the fact it seems to be one cylinder unless a line fell off or something) or there's a problem with the system getting enough fuel and it leans out. Did someone run it when the regulator fell off or something?

One cylinder needing repair is usually a symptom of something else. It could be something bad, it could not be. Unless you know what is causing the cylinder problems, you're going to have to part it out as from a non-running ski, losing value on the parts. At least they would be freshwater still.

I was looking for one, I noticed they were going about 1000 to 1500 not running without a trailer, 1500 to 2500 not running with a trailer, and 3000 to 5000 running with a trailer depending on shape and hours and stuff. But that's just what I noticed after searching all summer. I was mostly looking for a Virage TX, MSX is a pretty rare ski from my experience and I don't see them up for sale very often. Obviously values are down in the fall and up in the spring normally, but it all depends on Wuhan Flu, late seasons values were through the roof still just because people wanted to buy jet skis way more than normal.

It would probably be best to fix it and sell if if you want something else. If you part it out, you're going to be left with some things that sell very quickly and a lot of stuff that won't sell for a while.
    Thanks for your response. I believe some water may have got sucked up in that cylinder from the nose getting under water while messing around. Noticed some loss of power right after that and slowly made it back to the dock. There was a fair amount of water in the hull which never had before. Found the hood wasnt sealed down tight enough. Fuel psi was fine. Pulled the spark plug and it was kind of silver so pulled the head and it had started burning the ring land and some of the top. No hole. I think I will put it back together and sell it. Thanks for your advice

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by radio-active View Post
    What do you mean by "less complicated" ? The MSX140 is a very basic, simple. high performance ski. Anything more modern will no doubt be a 4 stroke and *much* more complicated.
    Well I appreciate your opinion but I am kind of old school. I am good with carbs and some electrical. It can be real difficult to figure out the msx system along with the problems with the emms. Thinking about just a virage 700. We will see once it's back together. I love the ski it's beautiful and fast as hell but I probly dont need all that power anymore. We will see!

+1
    If it was water check your crank bearings and your crank phase.

Thread Information