+1

2016 FX SVHO Piston Failure

Good day folks. I'm returning from taking a break. I took my ski out earlier in the year after sitting over the winter season. The first time, I could tell fuel delivery wasn't as it should be. I pulled the plugs thinking I would find one that may have been less wet than the others. All appeared to be the same. Took it out again about 3 months later and I lost power during a WOT run. Oil, smoke, etc. Smoked a piston. The cylinder doesn't appear to have any rash and the piston is still complete, just deformed. Now, down to my questions. Has anyone rebuilt one of these engines? I'm mechanically inclined, just never pulled an engine out of a ski before. I found a complete gasket set and pistons for around $600. What kind of time am I looking at this taking? And, would I be in better shape letting a shop rebuild it?

SN: 3 cylinders have good compression, the 4th has none.

If I do it myself, I'll:
    Clean injectors,
    Replace plugs,
    Oil will be obviously be changed,
    Have the head/crankcase/cylinders checked for any warpage or damage,
    ETC.

I live in Savannah, GA and I don't trust many of the shops to return a reliable product. Any recommendations within a reasonable drive are welcome.

Thanks for reading. Eric

+1
    Hit me up I got some leads...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FastYam View Post
    Good day folks. I'm returning from taking a break. I took my ski out earlier in the year after sitting over the winter season. The first time, I could tell fuel delivery wasn't as it should be. I pulled the plugs thinking I would find one that may have been less wet than the others. All appeared to be the same. Took it out again about 3 months later and I lost power during a WOT run. Oil, smoke, etc. Smoked a piston. The cylinder doesn't appear to have any rash and the piston is still complete, just deformed. Now, down to my questions. Has anyone rebuilt one of these engines? I'm mechanically inclined, just never pulled an engine out of a ski before. I found a complete gasket set and pistons for around $600. What kind of time am I looking at this taking? And, would I be in better shape letting a shop rebuild it?

SN: 3 cylinders have good compression, the 4th has none.

If I do it myself, I'll:
    Clean injectors,
    Replace plugs,
    Oil will be obviously be changed,
    Have the head/crankcase/cylinders checked for any warpage or damage,
    ETC.

I live in Savannah, GA and I don't trust many of the shops to return a reliable product. Any recommendations within a reasonable drive are welcome.

Thanks for reading. Eric
    Not a easy job Eric. And by your response you donít have a clue in what you are getting into. You need to find a performance shop to rebuild your engine and then find out why it blew, or
    It will just happen again. Iím in MS, and can easily do the job. But done right itís not going to be cheap on the rebuild. You can easy spend 4 to 5k for the repair depending on the damage. Sounds like you had a melt down and itís a good chance you even cracked your head. You have about another $500 to add just for lower end studs and head bolts. They canít be reused. Will have trash all in your lower end so you will need to add new main bearings and rods bearings with new rod bolts. And you need
    To order the correct size for clearance. Another quick $500 in parts. Sometimes itís cheaper to buy a new svho block from Jerry to use than trying to repair yours do to parts and costly labor to build it. But you will need to spend probably another $500 just for special tools and a service Manuel to be able to take apart the motor and build it correctly. Add up
    All the cost and thatís the reason you see blown Yamaha skis for sale and not your everyday guy repairing them.
    Ben

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    I would let Ben do the engine work, its not about being hard its about doing it before and the little tricks and tips you must know to put some of these parts back together.

You will maybe save some money doing it yourself but maybe not, you will have to purchase tools you dont have and due to the chinese virus some parts and specialty tools are on back ordered.

You will spent countless hours looking at forums and will see different advices.

These engines have far more parts and you could miss a few steps if you lack the experience.

+1
    Do what Ben said, my kid and I went through this same scenario a month ago but it was the #2.
    He bought a short block from Jerry, bought all the special tools and he’s up and running better than ever. The cause was a partially clogged injector

+1
    Hmm.... definitely not what I wanted to hear. Sucks cause it's a really fun ski. It may be sitting a while....

Out of curiosity, how much does a short block run?

+1
    Thanks Ben, I may not have pulled an engine from a ski, but I do have experience on most other machine. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade, powersports mechanic by hobby (ground up rebuilds and such), and auto-mechanic by breakdown. I'm familiar with the cost of purchasing the right tools for the job. I was just concerned with the time involved. I read your thread about your back. Sorry to hear that. I'm a bit in the same boat. Anywho, thanks for your input.

+1
    There nothing to them, If Jerry's block is out of your price range hit me up I have plenty of new and used blocks....

+1
    https://www.4-tecperformance.com/ind...oducts_id=5172

Here you go! Another option is to look for a used motor on the GH classified section, my kid found one but he already had the short block and special tools

Thread Information