Thread: My First Skis

My First Skis

Good Morning All,
    Alan the Newbie here! I live in NJ right on the Delaware River so I bought my first two skis. 2000 XL1200 Ltd 2 owner (Fresh water ski) and a 2003 XLT800 2 owner(salt water ski). Both were relatively inexpensive, stock with the exception of a d-plate and decent hours (XL1200 110hrs, XLT800 70hrs). I did my fair share of research and made sure to check the important basics. Good compression, oil lines still connected, clean hulls etc.
    I'm looking to keep these as close to stock as possible but just want to do some of the basic maintenance/mods.
    After doing hours of reading on here this is what i came up with and now looking for your advice

FYI i have decent mechanical skills. I work in the auto industry on the sales side but started on the line in the shop doing basic maintenance. I guess i would classify myself as "shadetree+" ability.

2000 XL1200 LTD Condition when i got it:
    had been sitting for 2-3 years freshwater ski, no start, but good compression Mag 120psi, Ctr 125psi, PTO 125psi

Punch list:
    -Empty fuel tank, maybe oil tank
    -Carb Rebuild with new fuel and oil lines and doing the fuel return modification with all new intake gaskets.
    -Replace trim and reverse cables
    -possibly rebuild jet pump based on hours, still spins smooth and freely.

Previous owner claims the carbs were "rebuilt" which he wasn't really clear on that. So i started with pulling the carbs and they were not in as bad of shape as i expected seals and gaskets still pliable and not a ton of crap inside. I did notice when i pulled the rack written on the mounting plate was "xl1200ltd" in pink paint pen and the TE/welch plugs were still there.

Drilled out the welch plugs and started with my first carb and here is what it looked like. This is just disassembled and i have not cleaned yet.

I ordered the Mikuni rebuild kits, SBT intake gasket kit, Mikuni 95 jet for return mod.
    Here are my questions, what is the ideal pop off pressure?
    The charts that i have found on here seem to point to the 65 psi range Mikuni kit came with two springs both silver but the spring i pulled out was brass colored.
    At what point do i drill out the return oriface? Now? while i have them apart and jets out?
    Or after i assemble the carb side just before i put the fuel pump back together. I guess i am more concerned about not getting filings anywhere they shouldn't be.

I was going to replace all of the fuel lines and was going to switch to tygon lines from fuel filter and all the way though the carbs but not return line. Any thoughts on using tygon lines? I ask because I noticed they tygon seems significantly softer than the OEM lines. I wont use for pulse lines.

After i replace the oil lines how important is it to prime them? I was going to run a few gallons of premix when i first fire it up just to get everything lubricated well. Also figure i will be able to see the oil in the lines after a short time.

2003 XLT800(salt water ski) ran until it was winterized. When i bought it the wear ring had swollen just enough to touch the impeller.
    I plan to do the same carb rebuild with fuel lines and return mod. I bought a used jet pump complete with drive shaft for not much more than a new aftermarket wear ring.
    I've managed to remove the (4) 14mm and the (1) 10mm bolts holding the wear ring housing. Are there any tricks or secrets to breaking the yamabond and corrosion hold? Putty knife? i see the pry tabs I just took the ride plate off to get better access/leverage and soaked everything with some PB Blaster.
    I'm pretty nervous since two of the bolts holding the reverse gate bracket absolutely disintegrated with the slightest pressure. Part of the reason I bought the used complete jet pump assembly when i saw it.

Thanks in advance for any input. If for any reason i posted in the wrong forum please let me know ASAP so i dont add to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	468326   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0569.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	468327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0570.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	468328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0572.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	468329   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0573.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	468330   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	468331  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	468332  

Im waiting for a response in this post too lol

+1
    You’re on the right track.
    drill the returns now... it’s easier. We just drilled ours, literally minutes ago. I taped the other passages to prevent shavings from getting all over.

4. +1 by:

+1
    1200:
    Yes, prime the oil lines. No need to run premix initially unless doing a full top end rebuild and even then it's not necessary.
    Tygon works fine everywhere.
    Consider doing the Oside Bill jetting recipe, it's tried and true. Can be done with a modified air box instead of buying aftermarket FA's.

800:
    Not sure about the jet for a return mod, you're compensating for two carbs, not three - the sticky how-to was written for 1200 motors. The 95 will probably be too big?
    Good luck getting the pump /driveshaft out, esp w older salt ski. There are many threads on this and it can be quite a battle. I had to cut mine out (replaced drive and midshaft). Don't know about the 800xl but on my gpr1200 there are different length driveshafts depending on the year. Hopefully yours is correct.

Welcome to GH!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg426690 View Post
    1200:
    Yes, prime the oil lines. No need to run premix initially unless doing a full top end rebuild and even then it's not necessary.
    Tygon works fine everywhere.
    Consider doing the Oside Bill jetting recipe, it's tried and true. Can be done with a modified air box instead of buying aftermarket FA's.

800:
    Not sure about the jet for a return mod, you're compensating for two carbs, not three - the sticky how-to was written for 1200 motors. The 95 will probably be too big?
    Good luck getting the pump /driveshaft out, esp w older salt ski. There are many threads on this and it can be quite a battle. I had to cut mine out (replaced drive and midshaft). Don't know about the 800xl but on my gpr1200 there are different length driveshafts depending on the year. Hopefully yours is correct.

Welcome to GH!
    Where can I find the write up for the OSB carb rebuild ? I might as well do this since Im pulling motor. I have F/A and Im pretty sure I lost a cylinder due to lean condition.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGP1200R View Post
    Where can I find the write up for the OSB carb rebuild ? I might as well do this since I’m pulling motor. I have F/A and I’m pretty sure I lost a cylinder due to lean condition.
    Most of what you’d need to know is in the how to http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70129

Thread Information