2006 GTX 4-TEC Standard Inop cluster limp mode

I have a 2006 GTX non-S.C. with a cracked, wet, non functioning instrument cluster. It started running in “Limp mode” when the cracked instrument cluster got wet inside and stopped working.
    I am wondering if anyone can confirm that the limp mode/lack of full power is because of the non-operating instrument cluster.
    My logic is that the ECM is saying “I can’t communicate anything to the operator, therefore I am going into limp mode”

On a slightly separate note, any suggestions on the best place to buy a replacement cluster? I know I have to have it flashed to the correct year and then married to my ski.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Not sure if your model is similar to a 2003 that I had, but I had a faulty cluster and my ski still ran without issues. the faulty gauge was due to battery terminals accidentally touched with a long pair of tweezers trying to fish out a bolt that fell to the bottom of the hull. Not sure if your year is the same, but Id imagine it would have to communicate with the ecu as it goes through the diagnostic process and verification of the 2 beeps when putting the key on the post

Quote Originally Posted by jroptop View Post
    Not sure if your model is similar to a 2003 that I had, but I had a faulty cluster and my ski still ran without issues. the faulty gauge was due to battery terminals accidentally touched with a long pair of tweezers trying to fish out a bolt that fell to the bottom of the hull. Not sure if your year is the same, but Id imagine it would have to communicate with the ecu as it goes through the diagnostic process and verification of the 2 beeps when putting the key on the post
    Thanks for the reply! Since posting, I have learned from someone else that the ski should “Probably” run normally even if the cluster isn’t working. I was also told to check the fuse for the instrument cluster circuit and sure enough, it was blown (The TOPS-turn over protection sensor is also on the same fuse). I thought unplugging the cluster and putting a new fuse in would take it out of limp mode but it is still running the same.
    I also tried disconnecting the battery, putting in another fuse and visually inspecting all the other fuses would help but it still runs like it’s in limp mode.
    I will have the new cluster on Monday and a local dealer has quoted me $105 to flash and marry the cluster to the ECU. I have thought about purchasing candoo because I am wary of the dealer diagnosing the misfire condition. Problem with that route is that I can use Candoo to marry the cluster to the ecm but would still need to find someone to flash the cluster.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap2c View Post
    I have a 2006 GTX non-S.C. with a cracked, wet, non functioning instrument cluster. It started running in “Limp mode” when the cracked instrument cluster got wet inside and stopped working.
    I am wondering if anyone can confirm that the limp mode/lack of full power is because of the non-operating instrument cluster.
    My logic is that the ECM is saying “I can’t communicate anything to the operator, therefore I am going into limp mode”

On a slightly separate note, any suggestions on the best place to buy a replacement cluster? I know I have to have it flashed to the correct year and then married to my ski.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!
    I just fixed a 2006 with the same issue, the water corroded the data line terminals eventually in the cluster and made the ski blow the tops fuse putting it in limp mode. New cluster and fuse fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by toxicgun View Post
    I just fixed a 2006 with the same issue, the water corroded the data line terminals eventually in the cluster and made the ski blow the tops fuse putting it in limp mode. New cluster and fuse fixed it.
    Thanks Toxicgun!

So you're thinking just replacing the fuse won't be enough? Need to do both the fuse and new cluster to get it out of limp mode?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap2c View Post
    Thanks Toxicgun!

So you're thinking just replacing the fuse won't be enough? Need to do both the fuse and new cluster to get it out of limp mode?
    you have to do the cluster, the ski won't run without it for 2006 and with it plugged in it will just blow the fuse again, exactly what we went through.

Thread Information