Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front Storage Intake Vs Side Cowl Intake

Anybody tested a front storage intake setup versus a side cowling in the same conditions BOTH without air filters ? I have a feeling the front compartment intake would turn more rpms but I would rather not chop up a friends ski if its just going to slow him down lmao.If anybody has done any testing without any difference in variables I would be interested in hearing the results Thanks

+1
    What model and yr ski are you modding?

I know with my 17 GP I first did direct connect to both cold air intakes and my seat would shudder or almost flap like wings by my knees. It would also whistle at idle to maybe 4500-5000 rpm

Iíve been using a homemade version of the ultimate cold air mod and all those negatives went away. I also added 2 more additional air intakes to the front compartment. I did pick up some rpm but canít tell you exactly how much

I much prefer the ultimate air intake much better
    Sorry I couldnít be of more help
    Last edited by BLASTER 1; 10-16-2020 at 09:47 PM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Running a Macsboost intake with the hull vents redirected at it. Very simple, effective and cost efficient.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6EF03379-D902-456E-AEC9-F5601835F90E.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	468217  

Quote Originally Posted by Yoffer2490 View Post
    Running a Macsboost intake with the hull vents redirected at it. Very simple, effective and cost efficient.
    Thank you for sharing.Unfortunately we use to run similar short ram intakes many years ago and its not even close in comparison.Both of the setups I previously mentioned outperform it by 200 to 250 rpms across the board.What I dont know is the exact rpm difference between those two but my educated guess is it is a very small difference maybe only 50 to 100rpms.Still waiting to see if anyone whos tested both back to back same day same conditions can confirm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    Thank you for sharing.Unfortunately we use to run similar short ram intakes many years ago and its not even close in comparison.Both of the setups I previously mentioned outperform it by 200 to 250 rpms across the board.What I dont know is the exact rpm difference between those two but my educated guess is it is a very small difference maybe only 50 to 100rpms.Still waiting to see if anyone whos tested both back to back same day same conditions can confirm
    Thatís funny, on the seadooís this style intake outperforms any other intake by a wide margin.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    Anybody tested a front storage intake setup versus a side cowling in the same conditions BOTH without air filters ? I have a feeling the front compartment intake would turn more rpms but I would rather not chop up a friends ski if its just going to slow him down lmao.If anybody has done any testing without any difference in variables I would be interested in hearing the results Thanks
    Havnt tested the front storage but have extensive testing on short ram filter wit both factory vents directed to it. Standard cold air offering (riva,worx) power filter, then with left side cowling intake direct to charger with foam blocks removed,, Spent about 3 hrs same day same temp,same air. My fzs was consistently .8mph faster with left side cowling kanaflex direct to s/c 90-100rpm average gain. The short ram direct on the charger with both hull vents redirected was the slowest sorry this wasnt exactly the comparison you were lookin for, but just figured i would share
    Last edited by Yamafzs; 10-18-2020 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Yamafzs View Post
    Havnt tested the front storage but have extensive testing on short ram filter wit both factory vents directed to it. Standard cold air offering (riva,worx) power filter, then with left side cowling intake direct to charger with foam blocks removed,, Spent about 3 hrs same day same temp,same air. My fzs was consistently .8mph faster with left side cowling kanaflex direct to s/c 90-100rpm average gain. The short ram direct on the charger with both hull vents redirected was the slowest sorry this wasnt exactly the comparison you were lookin for, but just figured i would share
    Similar testing was done years ago with and without filters, velocity stacks, air scoops, different size elbows, etc and the results where always the same.The further away you got the intake end from the nearest obstruction the more rpms the engine turned every time.The extra 2 feet of space in the front storage is why its possible for that intake to turn more rpms than one with only 4 inches of space behind a side plastic.The bigger the wheel the more rpms you pickup every time you add air.One day pull the side plastic over your cowling intake and make a run its worth +100 rpms.Then if you attach a 90 degree air scoop its worth another +75 rpms

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoffer2490 View Post
    This is a hot air intake, not even sure why he sells this junk, compare this to it sucking thru the side vent and you will notice the acceleration difference, also if your ski ever takes on too much water it will ingest water easier with this set up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    This is a hot air intake, not even sure why he sells this junk, compare this to it sucking thru the side vent and you will notice the acceleration difference, also if your ski ever takes on too much water it will ingest water easier with this set up.
    Considering Iím running the same speeds if not higher than other 19+ fx svhoís with the stock impeller Iíd say itís doing itís job. I think it has the same chance of ingesting water as the side air intake would.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    Im going to quote this from another member. Maybe you should try it and compare results before jumping the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post

* I am also now using the new Macsboost intake airfilter. I gained about 110 rpm by replacing the Riva power intake with Mac's new filter. Bolts directly on the supercharger and has a nice large internal velocity stack. A pro racer on a stock class FXSVHO said he gained 200 rpm doing the same thing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information