87 Octane Fuel and octane booster ok?? for Ultra 300x

Looking at taking a trip to Lake Powell, nice big lake but a lot of the Marina's sell 87 octane and not 93. IF I don't want to carry 93 gas with me is it OK for the ski, if needed to buy 87 and throw in some octane booster and go about the lake. It's a big lake and I rather not have to worry too much about carrying gas on the ski since I like to ride fast and aggressively at times.

+1
    I wouldn't chance it. BUT.....if you must go ride then keep it out of full throttle with cheap gas.

If you have to use Octane Booster use the good ones that raise the octane by numbers like 93.0, 94.0, 95.0, etc. Not by points,93.0, 93.1, 93.2,etc. Your cheap auto part store stuff is all but useless. These are good boosters that work. I use these extensively and they work.
    https://www.summitracing.com/compare

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
    If you have to use Octane Booster use the good ones.
    --------------------------------
    Curious which manufacturers you had success with?

A few years back - there was a GH Member here - I believe a Chemical Engineer also - whom worked in a Lab and he volunteered to put the Torco Manufacturer's claims through a series of tests to compare advertised claims with actual test results.

While there was "some" improvements - in terms of increased octane - the conclusions were certainly different than those advertised claims made by the manufacturer.

Reference:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2163979

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    I wouldn't chance it. BUT.....if you must go ride then keep it out of full throttle with cheap gas.
    This is the key!

I have used Torco, VP and Race Gas brands alot. They all work well for me and quite a few others at my local tracks. I can get about 6-8more lbs/boost without having to retard the timing at all from my normal low boost pump gas tune. Changing the timing retard when the car was blow-thru carb was a major pita so being able to leave it alone for my few trips a year to the track was a big bonus. Now that the car has EFI changing the timing is no big deal anymore but I still use Torco Booster the most. I mix 16oz to 5 gallons of 93 Octane when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by turbodave View Post
    If you have to use Octane Booster use the good ones that raise the octane by numbers like 93.0, 94.0, 95.0, etc. Not by points,93.0, 93.1, 93.2,etc. Your cheap auto part store stuff is all but useless. These are good boosters that work. I use these extensively and they work.
    https://www.summitracing.com/compare
    Thanks!

I wouldn't do it. I would only put 87 octane in an Ultra 310 in an emergency situation. And even then, I would go very very slow.

This is hardly an emergency situation. Why not just rent an 87 octane Ski for the week? There are plenty of them out there. That way you can enjoy your vacation and not have to worry about it. JB

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    NO octane booster does as per the label says .............
    No crap gas can be turned into good safe premium gas ........
    One of the long time members here on GH did the lab tests ( he works with a knock engine ) they ALL failed badly............ Dont risk your engine

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    No crap gas can be turned into good safe premium gas
    ---------------------------------
    Ask him how he REALLY feels about octane boosters:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post2163990

BTW - "terd" is spelled "turd" (I think) - unless this is something unique that is a by-product of an "Aussie Roo"

13. +1 by:

Thread Information