Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fastest 90s jet ski

Hi, I'm looking to buy a 90s jet ski and I don't want to start a brand war I just want to know what the fastest thing made before 2000 was?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Factory/showroom floor stock or somewhat modified?

stock show room but also if there's one that's good for modifying than if someone could list that as well. I dont know if its possible and what the best jet ski to modify for this but id like to go 60.
    Thanks

+1
    Why is it important to you that it be a model from before the year 2000?

So here's my situation I'm trying to find the fastest jet ski for 1000 dollars I want to get one as a project to work on and have fun with. So my final question is what is the fastest stock jet ski and what is the jet ski that has the most available go fast mods still from the 90s area. My budget is in the 1000 dollar range and I just want advice on what people think I should look at.
    Thanks to anyone who responds

+1
    What area are you in?

What kinds of water will you be riding? Smooth rivers and small lakes, big lakes with boat wakes, ocean?

You want to spend $1,000 total after whatever repairs are needed plus whatever upgrades?

You will be doing your own mechanical work, correct?

Once you get it running properly, is reliability important to you?

Do you care about fuel economy or cruise range?

I am in the northern Illinois area. Big and small lakes with boat wakes.
    750ish on jet ski and then add other stuff over time.
    I will be doing any work on it myself I have some experience with working on things.
    I want it to be at somewhat reliable. I mainly just dont want any major expensive break downs that are gonna cost me more than the ski is worth.
    thanks

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Micman14 View Post
    I am in the northern Illinois area. Big and small lakes with boat wakes.
    750ish on jet ski and then add other stuff over time.
    I will be doing any work on it myself I have some experience with working on things.
    I want it to be at somewhat reliable. I mainly just dont want any major expensive break downs that are gonna cost me more than the ski is worth.
    thanks

Sounds like you are chasing a unicorn. For 750 bucks I doubt you'll find anything that's in good running condition that won't require repairs/updates. With any machine that age you could buy it and blow it up tomorrow. You'll easily exceed your 1000 dollar budget figure.

In my opinion, your probably better off buying something that's already blown up and needs an engine rebuild. You'll spend a little more overall, but it can be spread out over time as you progress through your build. I have done several skis this way and ended up with a generally reliable machine. But the key is to put the time and work in up front so you can enjoy the machine rather than constantly have to wrench on it. Buy a machine that's in nice condition that just needs work. You're probably looking at closer to 2000 bucks by the time its all said and done.

I have already been looking at jet skis that fit my description I just wanted to get other peoples opinions on what the fastest jet skis of the 90s where.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Micman14 View Post
    I have already been looking at jet skis that fit my description I just wanted to get other peoples opinions on what the fastest jet skis of the 1990s where.
    There are a bunch of pre-2000 models that would get near or just above 60 mph, factory stock.

And lots that would go more than 50 mph.

Why do you care which was the ‘fastest’ when it was factory new, over twenty years ago? When you are out on the water next summer there will often be someone else on the water with something faster. From the same era. And of course many PWC made since 2000 are faster, especially by the late 2000 timeframe.

As an example, Polaris sold the Pro785 starting in 1997. Very quick acceleration and top speed was enough to regularly win closed course races, in the stock factory configuration. More than 60mph measured by GPS.

The Yamaha GPR 1200 and 1300 2-strokes also have a fast reputation, early 2000 era.
    https://global.yamaha-motor.com/busi...unner/history/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information