Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    As someone who knows at least the southern half of Illinois jetski market fairly well I can assure you that you aren't going to find a sub $1000 jetski that is in good running shape and is also a "rocket of its era". Almost every jetski in my area for sale right now that is under $1000 has a blown motor...

Keep in mind that IF you do find one that fits your criteria then you MUST do a water test to insure it is ACTUALLY in running condition. If a seller says it runs great and avoids allowing a water test then run far away. Running a jetski on the trailer out of the water is not a replacement for a water test. Don't let anybody try to fool you otherwise.

Some 90s models that come to mind for "highest performance of that era". I'm not as familiar with various Polaris/Tigershark models so not listing any. These are all 2 seater skis. Obviously the 3up skis are heavier & slower so not included although when equipped with the same motors aren't absolute slouches.

Seadoo: SPX with 787 motor, XP with 951, GSX with 951
    Yamaha: Waveraider 1100 & GP1200
    Kawasaki: ZXI 1100 & Ultra 150

The early 2000s introduced more models as well but guaranteed to be out of your specified budget for a running ski.

+1
    For a $1000 I would forget fast, you'll be lucky to find something that isn't a total POS and actually runs reliability enough where you're not scared to go a mile away from the dock.

Save up and get yourself a clean 4 stroke ski from this side of the century.

3. +1 by:

the fastest is more rhetorical I just want to know what ones where fast for that time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Micman14 View Post
    the fastest is more rhetorical I just want to know what ones where fast for that time.
    Again, I think you need to reevaluate your goal/budget. Are you mechanically inclined? Familiar at all with 2 strokes and how they function? Are you willing/capable to spend a LOT of time and money on learning how to repair the ski?

For your budget you aren't going to get a nice ski. So your options are to buy a broke ski at your budget then spend all winter scrounging up more money to repair and hope you got it right by time spring comes. Or save up and buy something next season that is actually verifiable as water ready. In the mean time you can research all winter to make a educated purchase. Either way you have a LOT of reading and research ahead of you.

I'm not trying to scare you from making your own choice. Just trying to open your eyes on what $1000 will actually get you in this market. And frankly its not much.

The Ultra 150 was the fastest stock watercraft in 99 and 2000....The GPR was very close....

Quote Originally Posted by raiderteen View Post
    Again, I think you need to reevaluate your goal/budget. Are you mechanically inclined? Familiar at all with 2 strokes and how they function? Are you willing/capable to spend a LOT of time and money on learning how to repair the ski?
    I am mechanically inclined and looking for something new to learn and wrench on (for me at least that's part of the fun). I was already looking at 96 xps and the other 787 sea doos that aren't the x-4 hull sadly of that area that fit the bill. I was just looking for a second opinion and seeing if anyone new of something faster for a similar price. I am looking for something that needs work I'm not quiet comfortable with rebuilding a blown motor (if it happened I would be able to figure it out). I'm looking for something that needs a good cleaning, rebuild the carbs, replace the starter stuff and other various stuff like that. I know I'm gonna end up spending an additional 500+ over the year after purchasing.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Micman14 View Post
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a 90s jet ski and I don't want to start a brand war I just want to know what the fastest thing made before 2000 was?
    Fastest of the 90ís that you can pick up for 1000 bucks? You can probably find a beat up 1996 seadoo XP 787 motor that might run but needs a piston, or carbs rebuilt, they do around 52-54 if compression is good. Itís a cool hull that is really fun on the water. Lots of parts out there everywhere but pick up a service manual for it because they are set up a little different than typical 2-strokes if you are not familiar with Seadoo. Polaris made a bunch of fun skis in the 90ís that you could get for your budget. The 1995 SL750 was a 48-50mph ski great for wave jumping and easy to work on. Also a 1996 slx 780 was a fast little wave jumper. Iíve had a few. Quite a few parts around, easier than a Seadoo to work on in my opinion. They hit around 54-55 on gps if I remember. Now as far as fun and a killer ride you could find a blown up Pro785 maybe for a grand but youíll sink double that into it fixing it and finding parts. Pro 785ís are a blast to ride, you can carve right and left as hard as you can at 40 mph as long as you hold on tight but be ready for them to throw your ass off really quick. In my opinion up your budget a little bit and find a decent running ski and do some minor repairs, fuel lines, carbs, seat cover, traction mats and have something good to ride. Hope that helps you find a cool project to work on.

+1
    Your budget is good for nothing except headache.

Realistically, for that budget, try to find something complete. Maybe a pair on a double trailer. Then sink some money LEARNING how to rebuild them through the winter. I run my own shop, all I do is PWC. Anything for 1k will need plenty of work, I promise you.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Hands down, the Ultra 150 was the fastest pre-2000 ski available on the market

12. +1 by:

should i buy now or at the beginning of next season. I dont want to hear buy a month ago or some crap if thats your answer I dont want it. sorry there has been a lot of that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information