+1

New fuel tank venting on 2021 FX models!

No more annoying, burping, messy fuel fills!

Yamaha has redesigned the fuel tank venting system on the 2021 FX models with an auxiliary fuel filler vent hose.

Look closely in the photo and you can see a much larger hose that connects the top of the tank to the top of the filler neck. This helps move the air out of the tank more efficiently as it rapidly fills with fuel.

Initially I'm thinking this is a new tank design because it looks to have a larger nipple on the tank where the vent hose connects. Unfortunately this being said, I don't think the 21' plumbing can be retrofitted to the 19'/20' model tanks.

We have logged over 35+ hours on this 2021 FX SVHO Cruiser and the fuel filling is tremendously better. Turn the pump nozzle on full blast and it clicks off automatically with zero mess..... just like it's supposed to!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201012_205739981~2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	468108

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TJBrad04 View Post
    ...Yamaha has redesigned the fuel tank venting system on the 2021 FX models with an auxiliary fuel filler vent hose.

Look closely in the photo and you can see a much larger hose that connects the top of the tank to the top of the filler neck. This helps move the air out of the tank more efficiently as it rapidly fills with fuel.

... 2021 FX SVHO Cruiser and the fuel filling is tremendously better. ...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201012_205739981~2.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	468108
    How ‘full’ can you get the tank?

Looking at the air hose between tank and filler neck, I suspect you could completely ‘top off’ the fuel tank such that there is zero air bubble trapped inside the top of the fuel tank. Which should translate into a larger usable fuel range/capacity.

Next time you are filling it up ‘as much as it will take’, trickle the fuel in until it is coming up the filler neck, then take the seat off and use a flashlight to reveal the fuel level inside the tank.

On my GP1800 SVHO I can see a trapped air bubble bobbing around above the fuel, even after burping the fuel in as much as I can.

+1
    You can easily pack it to the brim
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    How ‘full’ can you get the tank?

Looking at the air hose between tank and filler neck, I suspect you could completely ‘top off’ the fuel tank such that there is zero air bubble trapped inside the top of the fuel tank. Which should translate into a larger usable fuel range/capacity.

Next time you are filling it up ‘as much as it will take’, trickle the fuel in until it is coming up the filler neck, then take the seat off and use a flashlight to reveal the fuel level inside the tank.

On my GP1800 SVHO I can see a trapped air bubble bobbing around above the fuel, even after burping the fuel in as much as I can.

+1
    They also added the new vent tube to the 2021 GP1800r SVHO. I never could get over 17 gallons on my 2015 FZS but the GP took 19 gallons!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1824.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	112.4 KB 
ID:	468428   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	468429  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sferone View Post
    They also added the new vent tube to the 2021 GP1800r SVHO. I never could get over 17 gallons on my 2015 FZS but the GP took 19 gallons!
    Your going to adjust the hull vent tubes, right?

+1
    First day pics. I ride mostly lakes so on my old FZS I just removed them. What do you you recommend?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoffer2490 View Post
    Your going to adjust the hull vent tubes, right?
    First day pics. I ride mostly lakes so on my old FZS I just removed them. What do you you recommend?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sferone View Post
    Cut the zip ties off and redirect them towards the engine, then zip tie in place.

manual states to never fill tank completely full. it says to leave room in the tank for fuel expansion. just sayin, thats what its says.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    manual states to never fill tank completely full. it says to leave room in the tank for fuel expansion. ...
    I would agree with that.

If the fuel tank is ever filled to 100% full, right up to the very top, then is is critical that the machine be put into use right away so the engine can consume some fuel and begin to create an air pocket above the fuel.

Without an air bubble in the tank to allow the fuel to expand with warming temperature, a super full fuel tank will force liquid fuel past the check valve and into the fuel tank air vent system. The fuel tank vent system should not have liquid fuel in it.

There is a small liquid capture bottle mounted above the fuel tank. It will capture liquid that flows into the fuel tank vent hoses from either the fuel tank or (water) from the atmospheric hull vent.

Normally there should not be liquid in that little bottle. If there is, remove the fuel tank cap (to relieve any air pressure) and then unscrew the vent bottle drain cap. Catch the liquid that drains out, do not let it dribble into the hull. You do not want gasoline drippings or fumes to accumulate in the hull.

Thread Information