Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First trailer: Karavan vs Seadoo Move vs Triton; please advise

Hi all
    Considering buying my first trailer for a yet-to-be-purchased ski.
    1) I am most likely to buy a used jetski but if i dont find anything worthwhile over next 3 months, i might buy new Ultra LX or GTX 170 (large, 3 seater, touring skis)

2) I llike the idea of aluminium trailer for low maintenance, but am finding prices for them all over the place. I have whittled down to the
    • Karavan WCA -1250 46-L (aluminium, single place) approx $1800 otd if purchased in Reno, NV. Local dealers in CA want $2000+taxes. I have to figure out registering the nevada trailer to california. hope its simple and doesnt eat up the cost savings.
    • Seadoo Move 1 1500 Extended (Galvanized) approx $1500 + taxes locally. Looks basic and adequate. Matches the price savings of the Karavan, but not sure if it is better quality.
    • Triton LTC-WCI series (Price?) - These tritons seem to be the very popular and cannot seem to find any in stock and they are usually premium priced. Should i really prepare to pay $2k + taxes on one

Which of these 3 choices are best for me? the Seadoo move seems to be the best choice overall, but it lacks the tongue jack, but easy enough to add-on. I am intrigued by the aluminum Karavan's design, but it seems overpriced locally and Reno is a long drive and am not sure what is entailed with california transfer or registration. The Triton i cannot seem to find anywhere.

Thanks in advance for the advise!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What about the Karavan trailer design appeals to you?

Fresh or salt water riding?

The Ultra LX is a big hull. Look at the various trailers for length from the frame Y point back to the rear bunk ends. The longer the better.

Definitely 50-50 between salt water and fresh water, therefore cannot consider painted steel. Galvanized at a minimum. Good tip on measuring the length. I assume the Y frame is adjustable lengthwise? The Ultra LX is the smaller end of the skis i am considering. The GTX and FX HO are even longer i believe.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What about the Karavan trailer design appeals to you?

Fresh or salt water riding?

The Ultra LX is a big hull. Look at the various trailers for length from the frame Y point back to the rear bunk ends. The longer the better.

So in doing some research on the trailer lengths, i found only this info:

Karavan: 14'3"
    Move 1 1500 Extended: 13'6"
    Triton: 15'

What should my focus be as a newbie. The trailer length doesnt affect the parking situation at home. How much does the extra foot help with loading/unloading and general handling on the ramp? I read about some trailers having the option of increasing the tongue length at the ramp to ease the loading. Is there an aftermarket option like that with any of the above choices?

+1
    I'm surprised that the prices are this high for a single trailer. The suspension design is the most important variable, IMO. A torsion axle is far more effective than a leaf spring one. It is quieter, longer lasting, rides better, etc. The bunk length should be adequate as long as it is rated for the weight of the ski that you're putting on it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by srileo View Post
    ... measuring the length. I assume the Y frame is adjustable lengthwise?

The Ultra LX is the smaller end of the skis i am considering. The GTX and FX HO are even longer i believe.
    The Y measurement I was referring to is where the welded frame tongue meets the side rails. That is the Y point. The core structure of the trailer is two side rails (which the axle attaches to) that curve and join to meet the tongue. The distance from that welded Y join to the rearmost cross frame of the trailer structure is the core determination of the ‘size’ of the trailer.

On most trailers the winch post is movable forward and back along the tongue. When the trailer ‘fits’ the hull properly the rear of the hull is roughly aligned with the rear of the bunks (above the rear frame cross member). On trailers with curve cross frame rails the hull sits low ‘between’ the side rails. At the front where the bow curves upwards it is important that the frame Y be far enough forward that the hull clears the frame, above the Y.

The winch post is positioned along the tongue to meet the bow with the hull properly positioned on the trailer. The hull is not moved rearwards to fit the winch post position.

What are the length dimensions of the three hulls you are looking at?
    Weights?

For Triton Trailers, here are the sizes
    https://www.tritontrailers.com/water...watercraft/lt/

Note: Overall lengths are based on the bunks setup in the farthest position to the rear of the trailer. Some trailers brands/models have the bunks extending WAY beyond the rear of the frame, others less so. So the posted overall length specs may not directly relate to the size of the actual frame.

In the diagram on page 2 of this parts diagram PDF you can see the overall dimensions. From there you can work out how far the Y is from the rear of the trailer.
    https://www.tritontrailers.com/wp-co...6045-T_006.pdf

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3F2597D4-71DA-4180-939C-58A64EFD4A25.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	467802

The distance between the two red arrows is the interesting dimension. Which most trailer manufacturers somehow do not bother to mention

For this model trailer the Y to rear bunk ends is about 66% of the 174 inch overall length, so 115 inches from the Y back.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    ... A torsion axle is far more effective than a leaf spring one. It is quieter, longer lasting, rides better, etc.

The bunk length should be adequate as long as it is rated for the weight of the ski that you're putting on it.
    I also prefer a torsion axle to a leak spring suspension.

I have encountered plenty of trailers that were ‘weight rated’ (barely) enough for the ski they were loaded with but were much too short in terms of frame length and often bunk length.

This recent thread talks about bunk length and positioning relative to the rear of the hull.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3099272

See the difference?

+1

When the hull is properly supported by the bunks all the way back, the gap shown by the red arrow is determined in part by the frame distance from the Trailer rear to the frame Y.

That was on a double Triton trailer (2008 Elite model) with non-curved cross rails. The large Ultra 300 hull ‘fits’ but is clearly ‘kinda big’ for that model trailer.

That older style Triton winch stand was unable to be raised high enough to get the bow roller in position above the bow eye. Newer model Triton trailers have a much more adjustable winch stand.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by srileo View Post
    So in doing some research on the trailer lengths, i found only this info:

Karavan: 14'3"
    Move 1 1500 Extended: 13'6"
    Triton: 15'

What should my focus be as a newbie. The trailer length doesnt affect the parking situation at home. How much does the extra foot help with loading/unloading and general handling on the ramp?

I read about some trailers having the option of increasing the tongue length at the ramp to ease the loading. Is there an aftermarket option like that with any of the above choices?
    On my own double Triton trailers I have added a Fulton tongue hinge and about 30-36 inches of tongue length extension. My old double trailer had a 3x3 tongue and 3x3 hinge. We towed it thousands of miles.

Currently I have a 3x5 tongue and 3x5 Fulton hinge on a modified Triton WC2-2.

For a single trailer some homework would be needed to check the tongue box dimensions and wall thickness and whether adding an extension would compromise the strength and tongue stiffness.

Remember when extending the tongue the trailer balance and tongue weight (when the trailer is loaded) are affected. The net result is the hull and the bow winch must be moved forward to maintain the correct tongue weight. For many trailers this is a good thing as it reduces the amount the hull extends beyond the rear ends of the bunks. It also shifts more load weight onto/above the tongue so the stiffness and strength of the extended tongue must be considered.

I think the Triton single trailers use a 3x3 aluminum box tongue, which should work with the Fulton 3x3 hinge.

Overall, the longer the distance from the tow ball to the rear axle the nicer the trailer will tow. Backing up is much easier to control with a longer trailer. And the tow vehicle does not need to go as far down the launch ramp to get the trailer bunks into the water.
    Last edited by K447; 10-09-2020 at 10:16 AM.

+1
    If you see a good deal on a double trailer, consider it! Two 'Skis are more fun than one and you might buy a second one someday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information