Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Use the search engine on this site "Ultra Pump Bearings". There's lot of discussion about this topic. I believe you will even find the part numbers. It's not an expensive upgrade. JB
    Great! I will get on it! Thank you
    Last edited by gunner12; 10-07-2020 at 10:40 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    A 1/16" sounds like quite a bit to me, but I really don't know what the spec is on it. I would use a dial indicator to get a good measurement on it before I condemned it.

You might shoot a PM to sirbreaksalot or Smokeysevin, I bet they would know.
    I found this and im getting my dial indicators and will check tomorrow. But from what I read it should be in spec.
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=287904

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner12 View Post
    I found this and im getting my dial indicators and will check tomorrow. But from what I read it should be in spec.
    You can grab an upgraded bearing kit from kawi performance among others. Crank play is probably fine. Every one of my kawis has some crank play and they all run great. As for the gas in oil issue, make sure to keep the oil level at the right point on the dipstick and run the right weight. Another user (hurricane1000 I believe) kept his oil just a bit on the low side and claimed that helped alleviate the gio issue. I run prolong engine treatment along with valvoline VR1 20w-50 conventional in my ultra and have had zero issues. This works well for me in a hot environment. The three biggest issues on the 250’s I’ve noticed are: Pump bearings, supercharger failure and cracked heads. If riding in cooler waters, it’s not a bad idea to rerout the waterline going to the head through another component first in order to “pre-heat” it a bit to lessen thermal shock. The issue seems to be when you shutoff a hot ski for a few minutes and then jump back on and blast it. The water drains out of the cylinders and heat soak sets in. When the ski is restarted the water hits that hot surface and can cause a head crack. In my research it seems this was far less common when riding in warm waters (80+). All my other gripes about ultras are not unique to the 250x (seat comfort, engine paint, reverse system, supercharger belts, glove box lid, nose diving etc etc.)

+1
    In regard to your issues, does the supercharger turn over smoothly? Is the belt tight? How much boost are you getting while riding (not on the trailer)?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dcuhpw View Post
    In regard to your issues, does the supercharger turn over smoothly? Is the belt tight? How much boost are you getting while riding (not on the trailer)?
    I have not checked yet. I definitely will do that tomorrow.

+1
    You can grab an upgraded bearing kit from kawi performance among others. Crank play is probably fine. Every one of my kawis has some crank play and they all run great. As for the gas in oil issue, make sure to keep the oil level at the right point on the dipstick and run the right weight. Another user (hurricane1000 I believe) kept his oil just a bit on the low side and claimed that helped alleviate the gio issue. I run prolong engine treatment along with valvoline VR1 20w-50 conventional in my ultra and have had zero issues. This works well for me in a hot environment. The three biggest issues on the 250’s I’ve noticed are: Pump bearings, supercharger failure and cracked heads. If riding in cooler waters, it’s not a bad idea to rerout the waterline going to the head through another component first in order to “pre-heat” it a bit to lessen thermal shock. The issue seems to be when you shutoff a hot ski for a few minutes and then jump back on and blast it. The water drains out of the cylinders and heat soak sets in. When the ski is restarted the water hits that hot surface and can cause a head crack. In my research it seems this was far less common when riding in warm waters (80+). All my other gripes about ultras are not unique to the 250x (seat comfort, engine paint, reverse system, supercharger belts, glove box lid, nose diving etc etc.)
    Wow that's a lot of information to take in! But I definitely I'm going to give it a shot and fix the known issues. I really like the looks of it and I think it will be fun if I can get it figured out.

+1
    Yep, it’s not a bad ski, especially if the thrust bearing is still good (which it sounds like it is). You can add a water line fitting to your waterbox from a later model 300 and that helps to keep water in the cylinders from draining out so quickly (could possibly help with the head cracking issue). Be sure to check out the ultra mods database in the stickies section. Good info there. I’m not much of a kawi guy but anything that gets me out on the water is gold in my book.

+1
    Yep, it’s not a bad ski, especially if the thrust bearing is still good (which it sounds like it is). You can add a water line fitting to your waterbox from a later model 300 and that helps to keep water in the cylinders from draining out so quickly (could possibly help with the head cracking issue). Be sure to check out the ultra mods database in the stickies section. Good info there. I’m not much of a kawi guy but anything that gets me out on the water is gold in my book.
    Awesome that makes me feel better.
    So I took off the SC belt tensioner and the pully bearing is super dry sounding. SC spines smooth and quite. I think I can get a new high quality bearing and press this one out.
    BTW that SC belt looks fun to replace haha.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner12 View Post
    Not even close. 1/16" is .0625". Quoting dcuhpw, "Spec is between .002-.0094 with service limit at .017".

Hope it looks better with a dial indicator.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Not even close. 1/16" is .0625". Quoting dcuhpw, "Spec is between .002-.0094 with service limit at .017".

Hope it looks better with a dial indicator.
    Set up and its 0.005 so I am good. Just eye balling is a shot in the dark!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information