Who sells 310 reman motors

I found a very clean ski that needs a motor. I email SBT and they do not sell 250-310 motors. Called the dealer and they told me Kawi don’t sell compleat motors. So who does?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    By needs a motor, do you mean that you just have a hull or that the motor in it is blown?

Sean

Motor is blown. Oil in the bilge from a leak so the owner says and in limp mod due to low oil pressure. I have to drive over a hour to look at the ski. I’m preping for a worst case and going to try to buy it right. These 310’s are all over FB for 8-11k with 50hrs or less 4-5 years old garage kept. This ski looks to be a clean as any I’ve seen. If I can’t be riding it with 6k or less in it I’m not going to mess with it.

+1
    Then I would walk away from that deal.....
    Going to cost you near that if the motor is toast.Good luck.

My opinion,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane1000 View Post
    Then I would walk away from that deal.....
    Going to cost you near that if the motor is toast.Good luck.

My opinion,

Dave
    I agree. The owner said a reman motor was $3500, he wants $3800 for the ski. He says in the ad that it can be fixed and sold for 10K if someone could do there own work. I ask him where he priced the motor. No reply...
    I see so many with the coating coming off the supercharger rotors or pistons breaking or crank bearing wiped out due to pump failure I really need to ask myself why bother even messing with the Kawi SC skis.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    I agree. The owner said a reman motor was $3500, he wants $3800 for the ski. He says in the ad that it can be fixed and sold for 10K if someone could do there own work. I ask him where he priced the motor. No reply...
    I see so many with the coating coming off the supercharger rotors or pistons breaking or crank bearing wiped out due to pump failure I really need to ask myself why bother even messing with the Kawi SC skis.
    So I guess you're looking at a 310, correct? You mentioned that and a 250.

No jet pump problems on the 310. Superchargers are pretty good on the 310 if they're fogged after use. Pistons have been a problem for some, but not all.

It sounds like either the seller really doesn't know what's wrong with it and is just throwing a price out there; or he really does know what's wrong with it, knows it's mega-bucks to fix, and doesn't want to tell you what he knows.

It may be worth a look. It's only an hour away. I've driven 10 hours to buy 'Skis. Drove 1600 miles each way to buy a boat.

The problem could be something like the oil cooler, or it could need a new crankshaft & case. Hard to diagnose without actually seeing it. You can try cranking it and see if there is any noise from a rod banging around or something. I'd look at the crankcase and pan to see if there are any holes in them. Take a mirror and flashlight or inspection camera or cell phone camera. I'd bring a new oil filter and offer to give it to the guy if he'll let you pull the old one and cut it open to look for metal. Do a compression test if you can.

After all that, then you can make an informed decision. Keep in mind that there are a lot more hulls without engines than there are engines without hulls.

You've worked on the 2-strokes before, right? You'll definitely need a service manual if you buy it.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    seems to be a choice between:

gas station sushi
    and
    an old can of food found in last years camp rigging, no label but you know it was some kinda soup and it's intact with a three month past best/by date on it.

my take?...take the road trip to go sniff around this $3800 boat anchor possibility, good to get out for a while.

you could always throw $1500 at him once you're there if its exceptionally slick and the trailer is nice, but even at those odds the cost/benefit just isn't there ( for me)

I'd rather expand my search radius to find a keeper, as painful as that is before you even hit the road.. Gas is still pretty cheap so why not?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
    I really need to ask myself why bother even messing with the Kawi SC skis.
    You shouldn't-I've read your posts about the engines you've built and you recognize the fundamental shortcomings of this platform. It is too high strung for consumer duty.

+1
    I go in thinking of two prices: (1) In good running condition with no issues, and (2) everything else. The ski you are looking at is in the #2 category, and if the owner does not want to spend the shop cost to diagnose and fix, then price for the worst case scenario. If the hull is clean, electronics work, and a nice trailer, I would not pay more than $2k.

I bought a 300 earlier this year and after a teardown figured out the oil was several quarts overfilled and spun all mains and rod bearings. Case, crank, and rods were trash. I was able to source the parts and ended up selling the ski for a profit. If you have worked on the normally aspirated Kawasaki's, the SC skis are not hard to work on.

Thread Information