Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1

    I'm tired of Yamaha...

    Guys Im at the end of the rope. I have done nothing all year long but break Yamaha superchargers and clutches. Riva supercharger shafts are just as bad and I have had all I want. I could have easily put a custom turbo kit on this boat with the money I have spent on these parts. Apparently the pre Gen 4 shafts from Riva are crap but they will upgrade my old one of course if I buy it. LOL.

    Nothing at Yamaha has been done that actually works to correct any of these issues. So Im basically tired of spending money on crap. I have broke two Riva units. Each time they break of course the entire wheel is junk then...

    We were told when the SVHO chargers came out that even with the stock wheel a Riva shaft was a good idea. I don't believe this anymore.

    Other than turbo any advice...


  2. #2
    Danetwork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    DUNEDIN, Florida
    Posts
    631
    +1
    56
    I seen this video of a guy with a hayabusa engine in his FZR maybe that's a good alternative.. But seriously Yamaha has a new update clutch I'm curious about that.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,164
    +1
    2,258
    You have broken both OEM and Yamaha supercharger shafts? Multiples of each?

    Summary of what kind of riding you are doing, in what kinds of water?

    Summary of what hardware you have installed, and what is failing?

    Stock supercharger wheels?

    What tune and RPM limit?

    Is this all using the same supercharger housing and idler gear?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    You have broken both OEM and Yamaha supercharger shafts? Multiples of each?

    Summary of what kind of riding you are doing, in what kinds of water?

    Summary of what hardware you have installed, and what is failing?

    Stock supercharger wheels?

    What tune and RPM limit?

    Is this all using the same supercharger housing and idler gear?
    I will give the OEM shaft some slack, It was an 09 stock shaft with several years of a et 15.5 wheel. Happened early this year on a 94 mph run.

    The two riva units had 17 pounds wheels on them. They are breaking at the neck down in the shaft. It is not an oiling issue. It a design flaw. The shaft should be the same size and the hole in the wheel should be larger with a larger nut. I have a 16FZR with a completely stock wheel and shaft and at this point I would not think of spending the money on the Riva shaft with stock wheel for longevity, because I have no faith it would matter.

    The rpms are normally between 8800 and 9000....

    Different engine, clutches, ildlers and entire new supercharger assembley.

  5. #5
    savageman69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    london ontario
    Posts
    398
    +1
    25
    i dunno maybe its just me...but i dont see how you can blame yamaha for you running a machine at over 90 mph and 9000rpm.....Clearly they didnt intend people to try and make it a space ship.

    this is the cost of not knowing when enough is enough, go push any oem ski to over 90 and 9000 rpm...you really think a brp 300 wouldnt spit chargers, carbon seals...crank bolts, valve train, who knows what else.


  6. #6
    OEM is handling what it's designed to do. If aftermarket can't keep up, you may need to ask what you're really trying to accomplish. Anyone running over 94MPH is not recreationally riding their ski, it's mainly short burst drags. I'd consider a turbo, sounds like that's your level now.


  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,164
    +1
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    I will give the OEM shaft some slack, It was an 2009 stock shaft with several years of a et 15.5 wheel. Happened early this year on a 94 mph run.

    The two riva [shafts] had 17 pound wheels on them. They are breaking at the neck down in the shaft...

    The rpms are normally between 8800 and 9000....

    Different engine, clutches, idlers and entire new supercharger assembly.
    The 11 year old OEM supercharger shaft with aftermarket compressor wheel failed at nearly 9000 RPM and 94 mph? That seems to be impressive more than disappointing.


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The 11 year old OEM supercharger shaft with aftermarket compressor wheel failed at nearly 9000 RPM and 94 mph? That seems to be impressive more than disappointing.
    Thats why I said what I said about it...because it appears the stock shaft is far better than the Riva setup...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by savageman69 View Post
    i dunno maybe its just me...but i dont see how you can blame yamaha for you running a machine at over 90 mph and 9000rpm.....Clearly they didnt intend people to try and make it a space ship.

    this is the cost of not knowing when enough is enough, go push any oem ski to over 90 and 9000 rpm...you really think a brp 300 wouldnt spit chargers, carbon seals...crank bolts, valve train, who knows what else.
    Is the clutch in stock form yamaha's fault? Or my fault for buying it?

  10. #10
    savageman69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    london ontario
    Posts
    398
    +1
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    Is the clutch in stock form yamaha's fault? Or my fault for buying it?
    what about it? there are plenty of people getting years...and 100s of hours on stock charger clutches...just because the people on here abuse them and cry when they fail doesnt speak to the entire volume of svhos sold....Im sorry but this is no different than anything else, its a wear item...do you bitch when you burn the tires off your car??

    Leave it stock and it last 100s of hours....i dont feel yamaha is at fault because you choose to try and go 100 mph.

    You choose to modify it beyond reliability so it is what it is.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Tired SUV
    By Suvrider in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-01-2020, 07:01 AM
  2. getting about tired...
    By liquid chicken in forum Texas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2015, 07:20 PM
  3. About tired of this problem
    By olds72 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 08-22-2010, 08:32 AM
  4. I'm Tired of Phishers!
    By Franko in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 12:19 PM
  5. Why Am I So Tired
    By RX951 in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 07:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •