Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    220
    +1
    2

    Hairline crack on pipe

    Hi , rpms bounce at high rpm go up the. Buck Down the. Back up

    I found on my main big pipe there’s water comin from it under pressure

    Hair line crack by pto side mounting bolt
    It’s the holder bolt not the main bolts on the manifoldto pipe

    What r the symptoms of a cracked pipe ,
    And is it a serious power loss


    Any help would be great. Thanks

  2. #2
    radio-active's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    109
    +1
    4
    It almost doesn't matter what the symptoms are, you need to replace it.
    Torque it to specifications this time.

  3. #3
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,389
    +1
    146
    That bolt is retained by a slotted "L" bracket attached to the motor mount stud. The motor mount should be barely snug, so the "L" bracket can move in the slot when tightening the resonator to "L" bracket fastener. If the motor mount is tight first, it would be highly likely that undue stress would be applied to the resonator, when the attaching fastener is tightened, as the the "L" bracket cannot move. That stress would cause the resonator to crack.


  4. #4
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    220
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    That bolt is retained by a slotted "L" bracket attached to the motor mount stud. The motor mount should be barely snug, so the "L" bracket can move in the slot when tightening the resonator to "L" bracket fastener. If the motor mount is tight first, it would be highly likely that undue stress would be applied to the resonator, when the attaching fastener is tightened, as the the "L" bracket cannot move. That stress would cause the resonator to crack.
    Hi no bracket on mine?

    But if that’s losing water it will surge on rpm eh?

  5. #5
    casey67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lemont,IL
    Posts
    3,500
    +1
    81
    The pipe is double walled. Is it cracked on the inside ?

    I'm guessing , when you replace that pipe-that will determine IF it causes a surge.
    It deffinetly will subtract from the cooling water for the engine-reason enough to replace.

  6. #6
    martincom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Brainerd, MN
    Posts
    1,389
    +1
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Msxslayer View Post
    Hi no bracket on mine?

    But if that’s losing water it will surge on rpm eh?
    You are correct. I had Virage on the brain.

  7. #7
    Msxslayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    canada
    Posts
    220
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    The pipe is double walled. Is it cracked on the inside ?

    I'm guessing , when you replace that pipe-that will determine IF it causes a surge.
    It deffinetly will subtract from the cooling water for the engine-reason enough to replace.
    My worry is if it’s cracked on outside. Is it cracked inside I wonder ,
    It’s tricky to pressure test this pipe lol

  8. #8
    radio-active's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    109
    +1
    4
    What's the debate?

    You need to replace it.

  9. #9
    casey67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lemont,IL
    Posts
    3,500
    +1
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by radio-active View Post
    What's the debate?

    You need to replace it.
    Because it is the off season.

    And because "Road Kill" has glorified breakdowns and avoidable engine failure....LOL.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. some people need to put down the crack pipe, craigslist funny
    By WBoulton in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM
  2. hairline crack on fzr?
    By mikeFZR in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 01:17 PM
  3. Pro 785 Crack Pipe
    By Dazz67 in forum Polaris PWC Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-14-2007, 01:25 AM
  4. did someone leave crack in my pipe
    By benny in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-30-2006, 06:18 AM
  5. exhaust pipe crack?
    By mjet in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-16-2006, 08:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •