MSX140 and Ficht repair manual question

Hello, picked up a 2004 MSX140 over the weekend. When I orginally looked at it, it did run but was really rough and backfired a few times.

Got it home and now it will turn over, but appears it is not getting power to injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump etc. The MFI will not light up when I hit the start button either. I suspect the start/stop kill switch is the issue as it looks like someone was messing with it.

I have a manual for the 2001 TXI and Genesis I and am going through the troubleshooting and wiring diagrams from it.

Is there a huge difference between the 2001 and 2004 1200 Ficht systems that my 2001 manual does not cover? Don't mind buying the 2004 manual, but if they are essentially the same, why bother?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vwztips View Post
    ... 2004 MSX140 ... backfired a few times.

Got it home and now it will turn over, but appears it is not getting power to injectors, spark plugs, fuel pump etc. The MFI will not light up when I hit the start button either. ...

... manual for the 2001 TXI and Genesis i ... troubleshooting and wiring diagrams from it.

... Don't mind buying the 2004 manual ...
    The MSX 140 has a number of differences from prior Ficht models. No Start/Stop module, for example. It does have an ESP module.

The handlebar wiring at the switches is slightly different since the Virage and Genesis do not have a separate Start button.

Backfiring in any Ficht model is sign that the EMM needs internal repair. Backfiring out the exhaust can split the plastic exhaust resonator, so check those plastic resonator seams. Minimize (or cease) further attempts to start the engine.

A backfiring EMM typically indicates internal component(s) are failing and the EMM will not fix itself. Typically the EMM would need to be sent to Lakeside Tech for proper repair.

There may (of course) be other problems elsewhere in the machine, in addition to the EMM backfire.

I always prefer to have the model and year appropriate service manual for the machine I am working on.

3. +1 by:

Thanks. Will check with Lakeside Tech. Did check compression and have 140-145 acorss all 3.

May just make it simple and put the carb'd 1200 I have in it. LOL

+1
    May just make it simple and put the carb'd 1200 I have in it. LOL
    Blasphemer!

6. +1 by:

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    ear ringing backfires are sure to split the resonators

and painful it is to deal with that issue...truly one of the most painful things in PWC service I have ever had to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    Blasphemer!
    Haha. I know but why not make it and keep it simple if you have all the parts on hand?

I work on German cars as a hobby and swapped TDI's into quite a few that were gassers. The fuel injection and wiring doesn't bother me.

Looked hard at a 110 the other week and it made me nauseous to look at that mess and having that nagging feeling of a CEL or limp mode happening on the lake where I want to get away and enjoy it. Plus, I have the software and tools to diagnose and repair the German cars. Getting that for the MSX seemed to be challenging to say the least.

I prefer simple when I am on the lake or ocean.

Well thankfully it was something simple. I purchased and downloaded the PDF manual and read through it.

Found 2 things wrong.
    1. Checked the plugs and they were the wrong ones. Put the Champion plugs in
    2. Went to remove the 2 plugs on the EMM for the stator and sensors to check ohms/continuity, and the plugs pulled out too easily. I pushed them in until they locked and the ski fired up. Runs a little rough but going to put it on the garden hose tomorrow and see if it smooths out, then to the lake.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... downloaded the PDF manual and read through it.

Found 2 things wrong.
    1. Checked the plugs and they were the wrong ones. Put the Champion plugs in

2. Went to remove the 2 plugs on the EMM for the stator and sensors to check ohms/continuity, and the plugs pulled out too easily. I pushed them in until they locked and the ski fired up.

Runs a little rough but going to put it on the garden hose tomorrow and see if it smooths out, then to the lake.
    Click here for future reference.

Which Champion spark plugs?

Inspect the 12 and 8 pin connectors. Wire harness and EMM sides. Look for signs of pin or contact burning, corrosion or wire damage. The pin retention block (green or Orange IIRC) on the wire harness portion can be wiggled out to provide full access to the pins.

Check that the rim seal for each connector is present, undamaged and in position.

Make sure both latch clips for each connector are able to fully latch the connector to the EMM. A damaged or missing latch clip can cause problems when the connector vibrates out of position.

11. +1 by:

Thread Information