Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What caused all this?

2001 GP1200r. I was riding and I heard a bad noise from pump area and engine stalls. I pulled pump since I was going to change bearings anyway and I was able to turn engine over with no horrible noise. My question is what could have caused all this damage? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0049.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	46.3 KB 
ID:	467596
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	467597

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	467598

+1
    You see those rust spots in the ring? The aluminum corrodes and pushes the ring into the impeller. Time for a new housing.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    You see those rust spots in the ring? The aluminum corrodes and pushes the ring into the impeller. Time for a new housing.
    Thanks for response. What about damage on shaft spline? Iím assuming shaft needs to be replaced also. Just worried about what female end of midshaft looks like. Also Iím assuming once I get impeller off I can have it reconditioned? Any idea the cost of something like this vs paying over $200 for a new one? Thanks in advance

Also does actual ďwearĒ part of the ring come out? Iíve seen replacements selling online but assuming old metal ring would have to come out first

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGP1200R View Post
    Thanks for response. What about damage on shaft spline? I’m assuming shaft needs to be replaced also. Just worried about what female end of midshaft looks like. Also I’m assuming once I get impeller off I can have it reconditioned? Any idea the cost of something like this vs paying over $200 for a new one? Thanks in advance
    the impeller can certainly be reworked, but lack of grease on the thru hull driveshaft bits leads to a bit of wallet flattening and swearing

lucky you got yours apart, sometime it turns into a three ring circus when the splines twist and the shafts will not come apart.

bit the bullet and replace the damaged bits, unlike you want to be doing the job often, grease at least yearly, more often if you are riding extreme ( pulling a tube or wake jumping)

one shot of grease generally does it once the hose is full. don't overgrease, it blows out the seal. Use the good stuff on it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SDGP1200R View Post
    Also does actual “wear” part of the ring come out? I’ve seen replacements selling online but assuming old metal ring would have to come out first

as far as the wear ring goes the factory ring can be cut out and an aftermarket pressed in ( not that easy) , opinions vary on going with a plastic ring and housing ( aftermarket)

you can certainly find some extended discussion on yamaha wear ring issues by using the forum search tool.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    the impeller can certainly be reworked, but lack of grease on the thru hull driveshaft bits leads to a bit of wallet flattening and swearing

lucky you got yours apart, sometime it turns into a three ring circus when the splines twist and the shafts will not come apart.

bit the bullet and replace the damaged bits, unlike you want to be doing the job often, grease at least yearly, more often if you are riding extreme ( pulling a tube or wake jumping)

one shot of grease generally does it once the hose is full. don't overgrease, it blows out the seal. Use the good stuff on it
    Thank you very much for response. I had never re-greased this part. I guess I have no other option than to replace wear ring, stator, and shaft. I stuck a flash light down the receiving end of the shaft to see if I can see damage to spline and although really hard to see. It does look damaged. Would this be the intermediate or middle shaft that holds end of shaft. Assuming this needs to be replaced as well

Name:	IMG_0095.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	467719

+1
    Given the amount of labor involved itís best practice to replace everything

Sure itís expensive

It safe to assume that the lack of lubrication caused high enough temperatures to damage the intermediate bearings seals so if you replace the driveshaft complete refurbish the prop and figure out what to do about the wiring issues be a plastic or OEM you should be good to go for several hundred hours as long as you remember to Grease that drive shaft coupling On a regular basis

For those of you just catching on to this problem typically on a stock yamaha ski youíll find a grease fitting between the carburetors and the transom with a long hose that goes down to the intermediate bearing

Thereís actually a second grease fitting near the front of the engine that leads to the starter Bendix bearing donít forget to give that a single shot of grease at the end of every season

Both fittings have rubber caps on them so you might mistake them for something else at first

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Thereís actually a second grease fitting near the front of the engine that leads to the starter Bendix bearing donít forget to give that a single shot of grease at the end of every season

Both fittings have rubber caps on them so you might mistake them for something else at first
    Does that second grease fitting exist on any of the 4-stroke Yamaha engines?

+1
    No, thatís specifically a two stroke feature

I assume it was considered a problem area by yammer designers

I was kinda surprised when I first came across it actually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information