Floating ring stuck on driveshaft - ideas?

Hi everyone, working on my 2011 rxt-x and the floating ring is stuck on the drive shaft. Some have suggested cutting it off but Iíd like that to be a last resort to avoid having a mess in the hull from the grinding wheel and metal shavings. I am thinking of next trying to hold the ring with the tool I made and have a friend tap the drive shaft with a block of wood and a hammer but I was wondering if anyone else had better ideas. The back story is Iím trying to replace my PTO shaft seal because Iím getting oil leaking into the hull...presumably from this seal...hopefully itís not the oil cooler

+1
    After I used 2 1/2" rods to leverage the hat back and got the C clip out I couldn't get the shaft off the hat - or vice versa - mine was a PITA - used a block of wood under the shaft - took 2 long handles wood chisels - to wedge between the carbon seal and hat - make sure you lock the driveshaft forward (small nut in pump) - then you can push it forward kinda like a fulcrum - took a while but I got it. those rubber o rings catch in the grove. spray some rust buster in there 2. PITA - I have been lucky a few times and done it in minutes. Last time took an hour. Went back in much easier. Good luck.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mogman8 View Post
    Hi everyone, working on my 2011 rxt-x and the floating ring is stuck on the drive shaft. Some have suggested cutting it off but Iíd like that to be a last resort to avoid having a mess in the hull from the grinding wheel and metal shavings. I am thinking of next trying to hold the ring with the tool I made and have a friend tap the drive shaft with a block of wood and a hammer but I was wondering if anyone else had better ideas. The back story is Iím trying to replace my PTO shaft seal because Iím getting oil leaking into the hull...presumably from this seal...hopefully itís not the oil cooler
    I highly recommend that you do NOT pound on the end of the drive shaft with wood & hammer, as you risk damage to the thrust washers on the crank shaft! Then your problem gets real expensive!

Try heating up the floating ring with a heat gun, carefully, and fuel fumes free.

Using a Dremel tool, saws-all, or grinder is a last resort.

+1
    I've had a lot of success with a large pair of vice grips. Clamp them on the OD of the top hat. Spray some penetrating lube on the shaft an work the top hat back and forth. This will free it up so you can work it free of the clip. I deal a lot with saltwater skis so I know your pain. Afterwards just clean up the top hat on a surface plate or thick piece of glass.

5. +1 by:

+1

Floating ring stuck on driveshaft - ideas?

A PVC pipe has always worked for me on stubborn ones. I believe itís 1.5Ē, if not then 2Ē that the drive shaft will fit in and the pipe will fit through the thru-hull. A piece about 3í long is all you need. Just slide the pipe over the shaft till it butts up to the back side of the carbon ring and tap the end of the pipe with a hammer or wood till the hat pops free.

Usually doesnít take more than 2-3 light taps to free it. If itís really seized and you have to hit it any harder than that to free it then Iíd advise replacing the carbon ring on the install.

+1
    THat pipe would be easier - thanks for the tip

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    A PVC pipe has always worked for me on stubborn ones. I believe it’s 1.5”, if not then 2” that the drive shaft will fit in and the pipe will fit through the thru-hull. A piece about 3’ long is all you need. Just slide the pipe over the shaft till it butts up to the back side of the carbon ring and tap the end of the pipe with a hammer or wood till the hat pops free.

Usually doesn’t take more than 2-3 light taps to free it. If it’s really seized and you have to hit it any harder than that to free it then I’d advise replacing the carbon ring on the install.
    The top had has to go rearward first, in order to get the c clip off. I thought that's what he was referring to.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    The top had has to go rearward first, in order to get the c clip off. I thought that's what he was referring to.
    True, got to get the C-clip out first. Where they fight me the most though is after the clip is removed the o-rings get stuck in the groove if you donít pull the shaft perfectly straight rearward. I fought one like that for 90mins once and then figured out the pipe trick. Now I use that method every time and itís off in 30secs. All good though.

Thread Information