+1

Not having any luck - 2010 RXT-X 260

Hey All! I'm trying to restore a very rough 2010 RXT-X 260 and could use some advice. I'm new to Seadoo's, only worked on 2 stroke Yamaha's to date.

The gauges on this machine are just toast. I thought I could get away with a new depolarization screen but quickly discovered it was almost completely disintegrated to rust colored dust. I've tried posting in classifieds on a couple sites and searching Ebay up and down but there's not a single used gauge to be found and dropping $750+ on a new one is just crazy (and way out of my budget). Is there any kind of cross compatibility with other gauges that would work just as well? Or, is there another source anyone could recommend to find one?

The ski was DOA when I got it (and no key to boot) so there's a ton of mysteries to be solved and thought I'd start the mechanical journey with a battery, a key and gauges to see if it fires. I really didn't think it would be this difficult to find a used gauge cluster! I hope all the parts aren't this hard to find. And before you say it, I know I'm crazy. With budget constraints, the plan is to put in a lot of elbow grease to get into a quick, SC ski without spending too much money.

Thanks in advance!

+1
    The first tool you need is a Shop Manual, www.brpmanuals.com.

The 2010 RXT-X manual in pdf does NOT exist, get a 2011 RXT-X manual as they are exactly the same.

All parts can be found right here on this site by clicking on the OEM Parts tab above. All performance parts on its tab.

I have had this year model since new and have highly modified it with a Turbo. Beware of cheap after market parts like SBT or WSM, they will cost you more in the long run!

You are going to spend a lot more than $750 bringing it back to life, so accept it. This year model has OEM driveshaft problems (metallurgy with weak splines) and does not have the c-clip / floating ring that most Seadoos have, it must be changed to 2012+. The pump bolts to the ride plate vice the transom, which I guarantee is out of alignment. All driveline components must be replaced.

A CanDoo Pro for diagnostics will be very helpful.

Once dialed in it is a solid performance ski!

3. +1 by:

I agree, you will definitely be spending more than $750 in parts, not even including labor. This is a high end performance ski, so please don't cheap out and buy refurb/used parts only to have it fail again (learned the hard way).

+1
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I've already read several comments in other threads from both of you in my quest to learn as much as I can about this beast. That said, I already have the manual so I'm good there . I know I'll be into it for way more than $750... That price seems outrageous for just a gauge cluster, that's all I'm saying. I'd rather spend that money on the more important bits.

It's getting torn apart this winter either way so I'll be sure to check the driveline for the original parts.

+1
    Iím in Australia, and have bought and fixed up a number of these skis.

What I have found is, itís all about timing. Eventually, the things you need will pop up at a decent price. Someone will be wrecking a ski and youíll be able to grab a few bits fairly cheap.

If you want / need something right now, and the part(s) you want arenít available second hand, the yep.....youíre gonna have to pay more. Iíve managed to snap up a few over the years as they pop up for a couple of hundred AUD. They do crop up, but youíll need to wait.

Youíre going to need to get both a new key, and a new cluster coded to your ECU, otherwise the ski will never start (unless someone has already turned off the DESS security meaning you can start it with any key)

If you buy BUDS / Candoo (two different diagnostic pieces of software for Seadoo), then you can do the coding yourself, but thatís a fair bit of coin to fork out just for one ski. Might be worthwhile if you plan on staying in the Jetski game for a long time, and want to diagnose stuff yourself, but otherwise you might need to find a member close to you who can help out for a slab of cold ones.

Battery is clearly something you buy brand new.....no confusion about that Iím thinking.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by WhatHaveIDone View Post
    Hey All! I'm trying to restore a very rough 2010 RXT-X 260 and could use some advice. I'm new to Seadoo's, only worked on 2 stroke Yamaha's to date.

The gauges on this machine are just toast. I thought I could get away with a new depolarization screen but quickly discovered it was almost completely disintegrated to rust colored dust. I've tried posting in classifieds on a couple sites and searching Ebay up and down but there's not a single used gauge to be found and dropping $750+ on a new one is just crazy (and way out of my budget). Is there any kind of cross compatibility with other gauges that would work just as well? Or, is there another source anyone could recommend to find one?

The ski was DOA when I got it (and no key to boot) so there's a ton of mysteries to be solved and thought I'd start the mechanical journey with a battery, a key and gauges to see if it fires. I really didn't think it would be this difficult to find a used gauge cluster! I hope all the parts aren't this hard to find. And before you say it, I know I'm crazy. With budget constraints, the plan is to put in a lot of elbow grease to get into a quick, SC ski without spending too much money.

Thanks in advance!
    I have gauge for that unit for sale. It is perfect like bra d new.

+1
    Just a warning if it has issues beyond electrical and has engine issues. Very easy to drop $3k plus on a rebuild. SC probably needs rebuilt also.

Have you jumped the solenoid to do a crank test or compression test?

Thread Information