Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ultra 150 Experience

So,my brother and I have (had) a 2002 ZXI1100 and 2001 900STS. We couldn't really ever get anyone else in the family to ride and we are new into skis. So I thought, im going to mod this 900. After looking at mods for weeks on the forum, every thread said the same thing. If you want to go that fast, get an Ultra 150.
    SO, I started trying to sell the 900 to buy a quick 2 seater that could hang, and ended up getting a guy with an ultra 150 that wanted to trade! He claimed it was too fast for him to ride with his daughter. It was actually a ski I had my eye on to buy, but this guy ended up purchasing it and then trading me. I cant remember all the details, but I now it has a brand new BUILT SBT motor.

Well I traded yesterday and I just want to preface this by saying the zxi1100 always kind of scared me. Im more of a wheels kind of guy. The speedo doesn't, work, but I would guess it goes in the high 50's-60mph. It blew the 900 out of the water which topped out at 47mph.

SO, yesterday I took out the ultra 150 and a buddy rode the zxi1100. I passed him like he was STANDING STILL when he was at WOT. I will be purchasing a GPS speedo, but on the dreamometer, I got 78MPH and it still had some throttle to give. I still cant wrap my head around how fast this thing is...

+1
    Welcome aboard, saxtonmi!

I love the Ultra 150! Fun and maneuverable. If you do the trim mod to get more up, it's a lot more fun!

There are some things you really need to check on/do to it:

1. Make sure the oil lines are good and secured well.

2. Do the Triple Pisser Mod so you can monitor water flow from each cylinder

3. Add an electric bilge pump--just in case something goes wrong and you have a leak.

4. Remove the display and seal the rubber plug and wires on the back with 3M 5200 fast cure. You said that the speedo didn't work, perhaps it got water in it. New ones are expensive, expect to pay $300+ for a decent used one.

5. Don't EVER let it run lean. If it ever stumbles or runs weird, STOP and check it out. The 1200 engines run on the ragged edge and won't tolerate anything that's not exactly right.

6. Some of the parts are getting a little scarce. Exhaust expansion chambers and the water pipe between the cylinders have a tendency to corrode and they are not longer available new.

7. Pump bearings have a life of about 75-100 hours, so stay on top of them.

8. Watch for leaks on the driveshaft seal. Rhaas makes a good replacement when you need to do that. Also, keep an eye on the engine mounts. Rhaas makes some replacements for them, too.

HAVE FUN!

3. +1 by:

+1
    Yes, Ultra 150's are quick. Depending on conditions, 63-66mph.

From all the research I have done the last two years since I have owned my 2002 STX-R I am going to assume you were hitting low 60s top speed. I believe the maxed out modified ultra 150s with triple pipes still didn't break 70 mph. I could be wrong but I believe low to mid 60's mph is typical and totally doable with a properly running stock Ultra 150 or STX-R. I don't think running much above 65 mph was possible without serious mods. I am sure your Ultra 150 pulled easily on the 1100 but I think your real speed was more like low real 60s from all the research I have done.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Welcome aboard, saxtonmi!

I love the Ultra 150! Fun and maneuverable. If you do the trim mod to get more up, it's a lot more fun!

There are some things you really need to check on/do to it:

1. Make sure the oil lines are good and secured well.

2. Do the Triple Pisser Mod so you can monitor water flow from each cylinder

3. Add an electric bilge pump--just in case something goes wrong and you have a leak.

4. Remove the display and seal the rubber plug and wires on the back with 3M 5200 fast cure. You said that the speedo didn't work, perhaps it got water in it. New ones are expensive, expect to pay $300+ for a decent used one.

5. Don't EVER let it run lean. If it ever stumbles or runs weird, STOP and check it out. The 1200 engines run on the ragged edge and won't tolerate anything that's not exactly right.

6. Some of the parts are getting a little scarce. Exhaust expansion chambers and the water pipe between the cylinders have a tendency to corrode and they are not longer available new.

7. Pump bearings have a life of about 75-100 hours, so stay on top of them.

8. Watch for leaks on the driveshaft seal. Rhaas makes a good replacement when you need to do that. Also, keep an eye on the engine mounts. Rhaas makes some replacements for them, too.

HAVE FUN!

Thanks everyone! The speedo on the 1100 is actually the one with the non working speedo. Couple of questions/comments:

1. What is the trim mod I keep hearing about?
    2. What exactly is the triple pisser? I keep hearing about this as well. is this the same as the water bypass kit?
    3. Do the trim gauges ever have any issues? I could tell it was definitely moving up/down, but on the digital display it really wasn't moving very much, unless there is just a huge range of adjustment?
    4. I was looking for ride plates and obviously the shredmaster came up. I was able to find a guy close that has two, but he wants $480 a piece!? is it really THAT great!? Are there any others that would be a benefit, or sponsons? Honestly, it handled very well as is. Other than thinking I was going to wheelie and fall backwards when I launched it LOL
    5. I know 78mph is incorrect for sure, but I would guess its somewhere in the high 60's. I mean it is FAST. To pass the 1100 as easily as I did, it has to be close to top 60's.
    6. At very least, I will get out my phone GPS and try to get a speed reading this weekend.
    7. I have been eyeballing a solas intake grate and dynafaly 16/20 impeller as those have been listed as the typical first upgrades. I also have my eyes on an aftermarket R&D FA, but I have read they do not pair well with stock carbs. BUT honestly, it is so fast, I'm starting to double think messing with it at all.
    8. I could potentially have upgraded carbs, etc. I will try to get some detailed pictures of the engine and maybe you guys can tell me what's been done to it?

Thanks all!

The triple pisser kit moves the center and rear cylinder water output to the front next to where the front cylinder exits. The advantage is you can see that all three are flowing while your riding and you can feel the temperature of the water coming from each cylinder. In stock form you would never know if the center or rear cylinder was not getting proper cooling. Here is a link to where you can buy the kit. http://skiworx.com/ultra150.html
    This is how I set mine up. The extra one in the front is the stock output that I plan on using for a bilge pump.

I don't know anything about the trim on these because I don't own a Ultra 150. I am sure someone else will be able to help with that.

You can download an app on your phone that will give you GPS speed. If you are really hitting low to mid 60s then I wouldn't touch anything. You could pull the pump to verify bearing are good but if you are hitting those kinds of speed the impeller should be good. Posting some pics of the engine would be helpful so we can see what mods, if any, you might have.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG2721.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	467440  

+1
    Do NOT mess with the flame arrestor! It will run uncontrollably lean and you'll burn it up.

Likewise, don't even THINK about trying to convert it to pre-mix. That is a total disaster on this engine, unless you're a professional Ultra 150 racer.

Shredmasters are no longer being made and they're highly sought after, hence expensive. I'd recommend that you learn how to ride it stock before you spend a bunch of money trying to modify it.

Same with the impeller. The stock impeller is really quite good.

The trim indicator only shows neutral - down. Originally, that's what it had. If you adjust the cable to give more up, it's a lot more fun to ride. Some people cut the end of the cable to shorten it, but I wouldn't do that. I (and a few others) made new brackets that mount the cable to the nozzle. Adding 3/4" more up is awesome!

Extremely doubtful that you're hitting the high 60s. You're just not used to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Do NOT mess with the flame arrestor! It will run uncontrollably lean and you'll burn it up.

Likewise, don't even THINK about trying to convert it to pre-mix. That is a total disaster on this engine, unless you're a professional Ultra 150 racer.

Shredmasters are no longer being made and they're highly sought after, hence expensive. I'd recommend that you learn how to ride it stock before you spend a bunch of money trying to modify it.

Same with the impeller. The stock impeller is really quite good.

The trim indicator only shows neutral - down. Originally, that's what it had. If you adjust the cable to give more up, it's a lot more fun to ride. Some people cut the end of the cable to shorten it, but I wouldn't do that. I (and a few others) made new brackets that mount the cable to the nozzle. Adding 3/4" more up is awesome!

Extremely doubtful that you're hitting the high 60s. You're just not used to it yet.

So I got a new GPS app that at very east shows the maximum speed that was hit. It wasn't getting a very good signal and the water was really choppy because everyone was out. Either way, in the time it was recording, I was cruising and never went WOT, maybe 3/4 throttle. Maximum GPS speed was 57mph. Going to get it on glass this week and do it again. I know the motor was bored over at very least and I'm not kidding when I say this thing is fast. I swapped and let my brother ride it for a bit while I rode his ZXI1100, and the difference is night and day...

Also, it is pouring out, but I will try to get some pictures of the engine. I did talk with the guy who sold it to the guy I traded with an he let me know a little of what is done. It was fully rebuilt, new crank, jugs, etc. Bored over ?, R&D ride plate and intake grate. He also said the pump had been upgraded by the previous owner, but couldn't recall exactly what was done. I have ridden the Honda Aquatrax 4 strokes multiple times and this ski is much faster out of the whole and top speed...

+1
    For a 21 year old design, the Ultra 150 is a pretty amazing machine. The USCG eventually told the manufacturers that they could put an end to the top speed madness or legal limits would be imposed. Top speed for stock 'Skis has been voluntarily limited since, which is why the 150 can just about keep up with modern 'Skis on the top end. However, many of the newer ones can get to top speed a lot quicker.

Don't take on a 310, or you'll end up buying one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information