Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

FX Ride Plate Installation, bolt sealant?

I got a Jimís [Deanís Team] ride plate coming that Iím installing on my 20í FX SVHO and I wanted some clarification before I go putting it on.

Are we using sealant on the bolt holes when installing it or just unbolting the stock and bolting the new on?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EA4ACB2C-75B9-455C-ABA6-66F34A0497BF.jpg 
Views:	353 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	467394  
    Last edited by K447; 10-05-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: [Deans Team] ride plate

Infi

let us know how it works

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoffer2490 View Post
    ... Jimís ride plate ... that Iím installing on my 2020 FX SVHO ... using sealant on the bolt holes when installing it or just unbolting the stock and bolting the new on?

Look at the factory installation and use that as a guide.

On my GP1800 I removed the ride plate bolts, then ran a metric thread tap into the bolt holes to clear out the old sealant (thread locking compound?). Service manual calls for LOCTITE 572 (white) Sealant on the ride plate bolt threads.

Tip: If the new FX is configured similar to the GP1800 ride plate, pay attention to where the front edge of the ride plate seals to the transom plate and the intake grate.

GP1800 has a flat rubber seal with Ďfingersí that extend into the rear face of the intake grate. It is important that the seal be properly positioned to provide an air tight seal between all three parts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Look at the factory installation and use that as a guide.

On my GP1800 I removed the ride plate bolts, then ran a metric thread tap into the bolt holes to clear out the old sealant (thread locking compound?). Service manual calls for LOCTITE 572 (white) Sealant on the ride plate bolt threads.

Tip: If the new FX is configured similar to the GP1800 ride plate, pay attention to where the front edge of the ride plate seals to the transom plate and the intake grate.

GP1800 has a flat rubber seal with ‘fingers’ that extend into the rear face of the intake grate. It is important that the seal be properly positioned to provide an air tight seal between all three parts.
    So basically what your saying is that the bolts just need to have loctite on them. I don’t need to seal the holes around the ride plate or anything like that? I just want to make sure I don’t get a leak.

+1
    So basically what your saying is that the bolts just need to have loctite on them. I don’t need to seal the holes around the ride plate or anything like that? I just want to make sure I don’t get a leak.

no need to use any sealant.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    So basically what your saying is that the bolts just need to have loctite on them. ...
    The bolt holes for the ride plate are blind, there is no leak path to the interior of the hull.

Loctite is a brand, Loctite 572 is a sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by Loctite 572
    Medium strength thread sealant for coarse threads on metal pipes and fittings. Slow curing to allow adjustment after sealant application.

LOCTITE 572 is a white to off-white, medium strength, methacrylate-based thread sealant for metal pipes and fittings.

Suitable for coarse threads, it offers a breakaway torque of 7 Nm. Slow curing attributes allow users to adjust the alignment of fittings. Suitable for thread sizes up to M80, it is thixotropic to reduce migration after application.
    My take is that the 572 sealant is in there to limit corrosion over time along the bolt threads.
    And to provide some degree of thread Ďlockingí to keep the bolts from possibly backing out over time.

Right now on my GP1800 I have copper anti-seize on the ride plate bolt threads. I sometimes ride in salt water and the bolts were rather tight all the way out the last time I needed to remove the ride plate. Hence the thread tap cleaning and anti-seize.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The bolt holes for the ride plate are blind, there is no leak path to the interior of the hull.

Loctite is a brand, Loctite 572 is a sealant.

My take is that the 572 sealant is in there to limit corrosion over time along the bolt threads.
    And to provide some degree of thread ‘locking’ to keep the bolts from possibly backing out over time.

Right now on my GP1800 I have copper anti-seize on the ride plate bolt threads. I sometimes ride in salt water and the bolts were rather tight all the way out the last time I needed to remove the ride plate. Hence the thread tap cleaning and anti-seize.
    Sounds good

Hey i saw that ride plate on Ebay, send a picture to Jim to see if it is really one of his.

+1
    Wanted to update this if anyone is looking, this is a Deans Team plate. I sent pictures of this plate to Jim and he said this is not a plate that he did. So I sent pictures over to Deans Team and they confirmed this is one of their cuts. Will be testing this plate next week, Ill update with results.

10. +1 by:

Awesome looking forward to your test results, I shipped one to Dean this morning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information