Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    do you happen to know the metric tap size to clean out threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Look at the factory installation and use that as a guide.

On my GP1800 I removed the ride plate bolts, then ran a metric thread tap into the bolt holes to clear out the old sealant (thread locking compound?). Service manual calls for LOCTITE 572 (white) Sealant on the ride plate bolt threads.

Tip: If the new FX is configured similar to the GP1800 ride plate, pay attention to where the front edge of the ride plate seals to the transom plate and the intake grate.

GP1800 has a flat rubber seal with ‘fingers’ that extend into the rear face of the intake grate. It is important that the seal be properly positioned to provide an air tight seal between all three parts.

+1
    . . . .
    On my GP1800 I removed the ride plate bolts, then ran a metric thread tap into the bolt holes to clear out the old sealant (thread locking compound?). Service manual calls for LOCTITE 572 (white) Sealant on the ride plate bolt threads.
    . . . .
    The bolt holes for the ride plate are blind, there is no leak path to the interior of the hull.
    . . . .
    Agreed.
    I just wanted to reiterate on this topic why both thread-chasing is a good precaution, and why the service recommended loctite (not any thick RTV/silicone aka sealants) ...

Because the bolt holes are blind, obviously sealing is not required (as mentioned above), yet more importantly, any substantial foreign material or bulk matter trapped inside the hole, could risk a rupture/crack of the blind bolt cavity once the bolt is re-fastened. Case-in-point: we have actually seen photos of one blind being completely blown off the back-side (observing from inside the hull) when that particular owner had used RTV/silicone sealant that apparently had gotten trapped ahead of the bolt.
    I think the above post meant "thread chaser" - not a thread tapper - as those are very different tools (tapper has a long graduated section of tapered thread cutters designed to gradually create new threads, while a chaser does not have this graduation, thus able to clear all threads chased.
    On the same notion, be extra careful using a chaser, and note when/if it bottoms-out, as to not mistakenly rupture the blind cavity in the process.

3. +1 by:

So an M8 thread chaser is whats needed right?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1300 View Post
    So an M8 thread chaser is whats needed right?
    Maybe m8 x 1.25 thread pitch. Can anyone confirm?

+1
    I just wanted to update this after installing. I followed Rivas instruction for their plate by using Blue Loctite on the bolts. Went out and tested it and with just the Deans plate managed 71mph on gps. Wasnt thrilled with the results so Im doing the Riva Stage 1+ flash. Mailing the ecu off today to Riva. Ive since modified the stock intake system and rerouted the hull venting tubes. Jim had a made a post noting that by rerouting the factory tubes it netted a pretty substantial gain in rpm's on a 19' fx svho that he was working on.

Thanks for the update! Do you have a link to Jim's info on rerouting the tubes?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoffer2490 View Post
    ... with just the Deans plate managed 71mph on gps.

Wasn't thrilled with the results so Im doing the Riva Stage 1+ flash. Mailing the ecu off today to Riva...
    What was the top speed before you changed out the stock ride plate?

May I ask why you are not doing the Riva ECU tune changes yourself using the MapTunerX hardware box?

Stage 1 Plus tune - will you have the required hardware upgrades to match that Plus tune?

+1
    What was the top speed before you changed out the stock ride plate?

May I ask why you are not doing the Riva ECU tune changes yourself using the MapTunerX hardware box?

Stage 1 Plus tune - will you have the required hardware upgrades to match that Plus tune?
    I dont have the Maptuner. When I flashed my rxp I used my buddies maptuner and just paid for the license. I have everything except the impeller and sponsons. Before the ride plate I squeaked out 69 on gps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1300 View Post
    Thanks for the update! Do you have a link to Jim's info on rerouting the tubes?
    Its on his facebook page.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F8EDDFD9-F202-4104-AF72-040DED76FE9F.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	467886  

thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information