+1

1050 Ignition Update Reliability

Hey Guys. Picked up a donor machine, and scored some great parts for my SL 1050. Here is my question- it has the updated CDI(447) and stator(3 "fingers" with no windings). My machine currently does not have the update, but has no electrical issues. The update from the donor is unproven to me, although I will do all of the testing steps that I read here. Is the updated electrical pretty much bullet proof? Or does it have its issues as well? If you could give some of your opinions of what you would do in my shoes, that would be great. Right now my motor is pulled, just got my gasket set to start rebuilding. Obviously now is the time to install the update if you guys think it is worth the gamble. Donor was a 96 SLTX, don't know when the update was installed, previous owner said there were spark issues, when I pulled it apart the electric box had standing water in it, circuit board has tons of rust and corrosion. Thanks!

+1
    if there is nothing wrong with the current stator and cdi leave it alone...it could last many years...or perhaps not fail

the update kits work good, the odd time the cdi craps out but not very often

+1
    Thanks for the reply savageman. I’m hoping to get started on the rebuild this weekend. I was hoping to get a few more opinions, because of everything that I’ve read about the non updated systems failing, and thought I really scored because of the $600 price tag of the eBay updated kits. l’ll let you know how it goes!

+1
    Right now the $600 kits are not available, nearly nothing New PVL available. Might be a Covid interruption, next spring will tell.
    $600 seems to be where new PVL CDI are headed.

Gen1 had issues with the stators, seemed more pronounced in the 2 cyl.
    Gen3 has issues with the CDI's.

The stator is the hard part to change. But anything working is worth keeping.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JP44 View Post
    Thanks for the reply savageman. I’m hoping to get started on the rebuild this weekend. I was hoping to get a few more opinions, because of everything that I’ve read about the non updated systems failing, and thought I really scored because of the $600 price tag of the eBay updated kits. l’ll let you know how it goes!
    well my buddies 97 has original kit and runs fine....23 years id call that a quality part...they fail sure but they are over 20 years old

Thread Information