strange virage I fuel pressure

2003 virage I 800

i had no fuel pressure., i noticed the pressure reg is still attached at top of regulator assembly in the tank so I disconnected the return line and can blow thru with no restriction so I order both the oem regulator part and the kawasaki valve that has been talked about.
    I installed original oem and get just 10 psi. I check my gauge using a bike pump and both gauges read identical pressures so thats not likely the issue. I bypass injectors and just run loop from pump back into tank with gauge in line.
    Still get 10 psi. so i figure what the hell i would see what i would get with adding the kawasaki regulator. Now i get consistant 22 psi with both regulators hooked up. very strange!!! any ideas. Also when i pinch off the return line pressure goes all the way up to 50 psi so pump is not an issue.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    50 PSI sounds very high.

That is what one might get from an incorrect aftermarket fuel,pump. Incorrect meaning it probably alps draws too much current, thereby overloading the EMM driver circuit. The EMM may be throttling amp flow or struggling to run the fuel pump, too much voltage loss.

Measure the voltage across the fuel pump, between the Brown and Red/White wires. Should be quite close to full battery voltage.
    Also, does the voltage change much when you clamp the fuel return hose and cause the 50PSI pressure rise?

this appears to be the original fuel pump. i sent the emm out for rebuild. Im hooking the fuel pump directly to a battery. I would think the emm just turns the circuit on or off by completing ground and should not throttle voltages or amperage. Correct me if im wrong. thx

I called previous owner. he did infact put in a quantum fuel pump that was supposed to fit this ski. Im guessing over current was the cause of the bad emm?? Can anyone recommend a viable replacement fuel pump for a 2003 Polaris virage I 800?

+1
    That still doesn’t explain the 0 fuel pressure with the factory regulator. It sounds to me as if your regulator has failed and you will need to replace it, doing the reinforcement while you’re at it.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nabtek View Post
    ... I would think the emm just turns the circuit on or off by completing ground and should not throttle voltages or amperage.

Correct me if im wrong. thx
    The EMM uses a semiconductor to control the fuel pump motor, not a relay contact. If that EMM driver circuit overloads/overheats it can restrict electrical power to the fuel pump.

+1
    We had another member here post about utilizing the Quantum fuel pump kit, which also includes a replacement for the OEM regulator. He utilized the replacement regulator and while I don't recall the specifics, the Quantum regulator did not perform correctly. I'm speculating that is your issue. What did you utilize when you replaced the OEM regulator?

Also, it would be a good idea to measure the current draw of the Quantum pump when operating normally and when stalled (return line pinched off). The OEM pumps draw approximately 2.0 amps during normal operation.

Also, peform the mandatory "hose barb" reinforcement of the pressure regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    We had another member here post about utilizing the Quantum fuel pump kit, which also includes a replacement for the OEM regulator. He utilized the replacement regulator and while I don't recall the specifics, the Quantum regulator did not perform correctly. I'm speculating that is your issue. What did you utilize when you replaced the OEM regulator?

Also, it would be a good idea to measure the current draw of the Quantum pump when operating normally and when stalled (return line pinched off). The OEM pumps draw approximately 2.0 amps during normal operation.

Also, peform the mandatory "hose barb" reinforcement of the pressure regulator.
    This quantum pump draws 4 amps 5 when you pinch off the hose. pressure goes to 50 psi when pinched. So right now i have 20 psi at 4 amps. One would think that would be ok considering the circuit is protected with a 15 amp fuse. Im still looking at other options including buying a complete assembly. what do you all think about adding a 12 volt relay so that the emm is isolated from the 4 amps?

+1
    The current drain of your Quantum pump is within an acceptable range, in my opinion & others. Yes, that 15 amp fuse is a bit over rated.

There has been extensive conversation of adding relays and other devices to mitigate a pump with excessive current drain. There is a thread in the stickies that summarizes much of that info.

Again, it sure sounds like you have a defective regulator(s).

Your current draw would most likely decrease further if you were utilizing the OEM regulator rather than the Kawasaki. Basically, the Kawasaki is restricting the flow to regulate the pressure, creating a semi-stall condition in the pump. This leads to higher current draw and at least with the OEM pumps, will result in premature failure of the pump.

Thread Information