MSX 110 check engine/scan tool need

I am new to the forum but I am going to buy some used Jet skis and I have run across a sale of three skis. They are all 2004 MSX 110ís. One will start, one wonít start right now and the other is a ďpartsĒ ski. The two that would presumably be working have a check engine light. One of them will run about thirty minutes in the water and then shut off, but will restart a few minutes later and appear to run fine. The other has a check engine light and will not start. I know very little beyond this. I have worked on my outboard and onboard motors for years and I am not afraid to tackle the problems if I can find the parts and or the diagnostic tools if needed.

Do I need the diagnostic tool/software to work on these skis?

if so where can I get it?

Will Polaris ATV dealers read the codes if needed?

Are there enough parts readily available to reliably keep these skis working for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for your help!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    much depends on what you will be paying for this set

book value is striking low

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/200...0217066/values

diagnostic tools suggested, the candoo pro ($400 for polaris only) ( sold in the forum shop link above) can be invaluable in diagnosing and monitoring

Personally, I'd advise against this as there is virtually no dealer support, but we have forum members who are experts on these skis and having a parts ski or two can be very helpful if you enjoy wrenching as much as you do riding

again, you should carefully consider if you want to join the ranks of polaris owners

Thank you for the quick response. The skis are listed for $2500 for all three, but the more I read the more I worry about getting two skis that I can’t fix. Thank you!

+1
    theses skis have their fan base, but the low book value means you gotta love em.

$1000 is for a runner, if you got all three for say $1500 then maybe you've got something there. I'd say somebody that already owns a runner would jump on the other ones for spare parts alone

Kinda like the VW beetle, they have thier fans, even with a really poor spare parts outlook

take your cash and get a runner...regardless of brand it will be less of a headache then this particular model.

I think you helped me dodge a bullet! I will continue my search for a couple of running or at least fixable jet ski’s. Any suggestions for late 90’s to early 2000’s jet ski’s to consider? I am fine with two stroke.

This is a good time of year to purchase where I live. Cooling down a lot and no one wants to be on the water.

+1
    Personally I’m pretty fond of the 97 seadoo gtx 787 for a two stroke

Pretty tricky finding a mint one these days

Kawasaki 750 or yamaha 800 also excellent

Kawasaki has discontinued ignition modules for some of their skis however

Seadoo has good aftermarket support for vitals

Avoid 951 seadoo

717 seafood are fun but underpowered

Frankly you should look for a yamaha vx 110 or Kawasaki 15f

Those are tanks but may be over your budget

Each brand has its ups and downs and it’s fans too

A good running Polaris 750 triple should not be discounted either

Find a cherry, that’s the trick
    Last edited by nmpeter; 09-22-2020 at 09:20 PM. Reason: weird editing issue

My son is selling his 96 Yamaha Wave blaster. 760 twin carb. Runs great. Has great compression. Just went through the carbs. Installed a primer. Very reliable and fun ski.

It's not a beauty queen but wouldn't take a lot to get it there. Mats, good compound, etc. Very reliable and fun ski.

In Greenville, SC. PM if interested.

+1
    For those reading this:
    “book value” on a 15-year old PWC is a bit of a joke. 9/10 jet skis that are sold are reported to the local tax collector as being sold for $300, regardless of what was actually paid. The data aggregated from this source is where “book values” come from.

In my local market, any running used jet ski that is newer than 2000 is worth $2500. A nice running, well kept, MSX 110/150 can go as high as $3500-$4500. Have I bought these for as little as $300? Absolutely, but that’s not a true representation of the common market value.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Itís all well and good until somebody tags the $4500 MSX on its trailer and while it was clearly not your fault youíll be in a long fight with the insurance company to get paid more than book value of the ski

In my market more than half of the customers trailer their skis 150 miles at 75 mph+ to our lake as temps exceed 100 daily

I have an above average amount of experience helping my customers negotiate insurance claims when there is some sort of ďincidentĒ along the way

Book value tends to be a rule that insurance companies will not budge on unless you have recent receipts showing expensive repairs or upgrades

Of course if a company pays your book value you get first Dibs on a salvage purchase

In quite a few cases the skis have come off the trailers entirely and are total losses and salvage value was so poor I wonít even take advantages of the offers

Thatís why itís a very good idea to always check your trailer hitch i
    And another towing equipment because this happens more often than anybody would believe

Having the skis stolen is another story entirely

The insurance industry does not consider any personal watercraft in the same category as a classic automobile when it comes to paying damage claims

If you have a super mint ski thatís more than 15 years old you should ask your insurance agent about coverage

I have a 2008 grand Cherokee that only has 30k miles on it I have full replacement coverage(2x book value) on it

I had to have it inspected to confirm the wear and mileage before they will issue the rider and guess what -it ainít that cheap. I seriously doubt I could replace it because finding one in similar condition is likely impossible

I always advise my customers that if they want to buy a ski and if the seller is asking book value plus the ski better need not a thing and be an absolutely mint condition with service records

Sure itís a bit of a sellers market this year but this is an exceptional year in regards to supply and demand

Thread Information