2001 Polaris Virage bogs down

I have two 2001 Polaris Virage skis. I am trying to determine why one of the ski bogs down when throttling up. I have read several posts on greenhulk and find there are several folks out there who know quite a bit about these older fun machines.

First a little background if you will bear with me.

The first issue which I suspected was a possible cause was water getting inside the hull, excessively so the bilge pump could not keep up. I suspected the sloshing water in the hull was shorting out something and causing the bogging. I had a hose replaced which I believe to be the water intake to cooling system. This solved the water in the hull issue for the most part - still get some left over after a couple hours of riding but nothing close to before the hose was replaced.

The bogging problem still exists and the MFI (or MFD - not sure which to call it) is dead - no display or analog speedometer.

I hooked a volt meter to the battery and ran the ski out on the water to see what was happening. I was getting readings ranging from 14.0 V upwards toward 16-17 V when trying to go full throttle.

I have read a couple of posts which indicate the over volting could cause the bogging.
    Was thinking I should swap out the voltage regulator
    - part #4010648 - REGULATOR-S/S 1 BUTTON 505

Any thoughts / suggestion / diagnostic help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk.

Well, charging system at 16-17volts is deffinetly a problem. Most likely caused by the LR505 which is the voltage regulator.
    It mounts to the grounding bracket/strap/buss in the electrical box. I would make sure all those ground connections are clean and free of corrosion,especially the 2-3 eyelet black wires-that will be the main ground. The LR has it own ground wire with flat blade connecter.
    As far as the LR505, there are alot of cheap Chinese made parts that we have had alot of problems with.
    There are genuine Polaris LR available, like this ;https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Polaris...4AAOSw3utY56r3

That sellers name is Tom, he does offer a discount for GreenHulk members, 262-347-8509.

As far as the bogging, I would first change the LR. If not controlling the voltage properly, its posssible it is not rectifying the voltage either, having A/C voltage in the electrical system will confuse other signals.

Thanks for the reply casey67. I have opened the electrical box and found the LR505. Is there any way to check the existing regulator prior to ordering a new one?

+1
    Checking the ground as I described, otherwise you have done the only test of the regulator.

Good news! I replaced the regulator and the ski is back to normal! Thanks casey67

+1
    Oh yeah ? The bogging has cleared up ?

Yes sir!
    Also the 1/4 Amp fuse had blown which protected the MFI. I replaced the fuse and the MFI came back to life.

Thread Information