Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Pete, I couldnt find my pressure gauge so I pulled the cover off to check the timing, and the two little dots were in the right place. Got more than I bargained for though! Just like an iced coffee shake! The oil on the dipstick is fine, but when I turned the engine over the timing chain was coming up with ooze all over it. I ended up ringing a local jetski mechanic who is going to take a look at it next week for a diagnosis. He said they dont often do headgaskets, and that it has probably been plumbed in wrong. At this stage it wouldnt surprise me. I could tackle it myself but not willing to take a chance doing my back in. Its already bad, thats why I went for cushion of air to float on! It still may happen hopefully. Will let you guys know how it goes, and I will definately post a pic of the fan spinning!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you can quickly detect a bad hole by just holding your hand over it while somebody cranks the engine compression should make it really tough to hold your hand on it. milkshake oil in that particular setup means blown engine as I doubt the engine was submerged. I was just about to suggest pulling the drive belt for the fan seeing how slowly the engine seemed to be turning over too ( suspecting bad bearing on the fan), but water in the oil and perhaps bad main bearings would account for that.

before you let somebody start spending your money, taking the engine compression is a must, so you'll have an idea of the possible expenses ( 15f engines are not cheap to repair )

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you can quickly detect a bad hole by just holding your hand over it while somebody cranks the engine compression should make it really tough to hold your hand on it. milkshake oil in that particular setup means blown engine as I doubt the engine was submerged. I was just about to suggest pulling the drive belt for the fan seeing how slowly the engine seemed to be turning over too ( suspecting bad bearing on the fan), but water in the oil and perhaps bad main bearings would account for that.

before you let somebody start spending your money, taking the engine compression is a must, so you'll have an idea of the possible expenses ( 15f engines are not cheap to repair )

good luck!

I will have another look for the tester. The fan bearings are new, so I was told. Fan belt is very tight though. With the plugs out of the engine I expected to be able to turn the fan by hand, but too damn tight. Might be playing a part in it somehow. Doesnt explain the spark though. I have new plugs ordered, will have them in a few days. Will do all the testing I can before I take it down to see the mechanic. thanks

Let me out of here......I need to go on Greenhulk!
    +1
    Did you by any chance hook up a garden hose when you attempted to start it? The procedure for the jetskis is to have the motor running before the water is turned on or there is a chance the hose can back up into the motor. This may be irrelevant depending on how your cooling is setup

5. +1 by:

+1
    and?.....

Sorry for not replying sooner. Have had the mechanic look at it. Been told it was a POS engine. Had already been pulled apart and put backtogether, most nuts and bolts were loose. Knew I was going to have troubles with it, but not expecting what I was told. Barrels are shot, and pistons are damaged as well. Getting a full rebuild done, so it should be sweet once I get it back. I WILL POST A VIDEO ONCE I HAVE ON THE WATER!! Thanks for all the advice given. There was too much going on to try and pinpoint one problem.

+1
    thanks for the closure, we sure wasted alot of time with this one seeing the damage you indicate would have been picked up on a compression test right away

seems that the "pro shop" you mentioned in your early posts sold you a pretty dirty bag of somebody else laundry, and I'd wager they knew it too. somebody just jacked that engine together if as you say all the fasteners weren't properly tightened.

You were fortunate not hurting yourself attempting to start it

I don't know of any competent shop (and I worked in all manners of repair shops both automotive and pwc) that would try to install a used engine of unknown quality, at the very least an on the ground roughscrabble compression test would have saved you (and them) a whole bunch of time/money

its going to be an expensive proposition replacing that engine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information