Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you're getting closer

the struggling you describe is the engine firing too soon, so you've got something going on, but the timing is off.

rereading your first post the plugs appear to be new. what was the story with the cam sensor?

I'd go with fresh plugs next, anyway, as I mentioned, going elsewhere right now is painful and we'll assume the shop had an idea of what they were doing., wouldn't hurt to dribble some fuel down the plug holes as you swap them out

I'd also take that opportunity to do a compression check, since we have no info on where the engine stands, could be 80-0-0-150

if still no joy, you are going to have to pull the valve cover and check the cam timing.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you're getting closer

the struggling you describe is the engine firing too soon, so you've got something going on, but the timing is off.

rereading your first post the plugs appear to be new. what was the story with the cam sensor?

I'd go with fresh plugs next, anyway, as I mentioned, going elsewhere right now is painful and we'll assume the shop had an idea of what they were doing., wouldn't hurt to dribble some fuel down the plug holes as you swap them out

I'd also take that opportunity to do a compression check, since we have no info on where the engine stands, could be 80-0-0-150

if still no joy, you are going to have to pull the valve cover and check the cam timing.

The people I bought it off put new plugs in it. I know that because they were surprised how expensive they were. I was told it was running, and have been waiting for their mechanic to call me. If I get the call great, if not I dont want to chase them. I tested the Cam sensor and it was way out of resistance tolerance, double what it should have been. Put in a new one but it didnt make any difference. I understand the reasoning for the plugs, as they could have been messed up as per A LOT of previous forum posts I have read. Are the coils ok or should I replace them, having the resistance that they do? I agree with the timing it makes sense. At least where the coil plugs are marked where they should be, I get a pop out of it now and then. When I had them swapped it just struggled to turn over. Does that mean the coils are doing their job?? I am stuck on these coils, whether they are ok or not. Plugs are cheaper than coils I suppose, and wont go astray down the track.

+1
    I don't have much to offer but moral support as I have been struggling for a couple of years trying to get the 15F engine in my decommissioned race ski running. Your symptoms sound exactly like mine. I had the hard crank and replacing the battery and starter cables fixed that but I still don't get firing. Sean and Pete are very knowledgeable and patient people so hopefully you'll see some results.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The ignition coils should be paired, one coil and set of wires goes to the outer cylinders, one goes to the inner two. They are labled and only really fit one way. Make sure they are paired correctly. Its waste spark so it doesn't matter past that as long as you have them plugged into the correct feed wires.

What plugs are in it?

Have you checked the cam timing? If you are off one tooth on either cam it will do something similar (learned that from experience)

Sean

+1
    todays over under on the no start:

Compression problem 2:1
    anything else 1:9

a video of the engine cranking will help us tell just by the sound if anything is out of order. I've shocked quite a few people telling them their problem was really a dead cylinder, but if they promised to buy me a hamburger next week, I'd actually put the gauge on to make the point directly.

as the story goes ( and yes, I always have a story) one fellow who had just finished putting an SBT engine into his ski just didn't buy into it. He put $100 down on the seat after I did , I ran inside and got the plug wrench and gauge so quick you could see on his face he knew he had already lost the bet. sure enough #2 was dead. He did eventually get the engine replaced and brought it by to get the pump rebuilt

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The ignition coils should be paired, one coil and set of wires goes to the outer cylinders, one goes to the inner two. They are labled and only really fit one way. Make sure they are paired correctly. Its waste spark so it doesn't matter past that as long as you have them plugged into the correct feed wires.

What plugs are in it?

Have you checked the cam timing? If you are off one tooth on either cam it will do something similar (learned that from experience)

Sean

I am certain the coils are wired right. The plugs were marked at some stage, a while ago by the looks of it, and the marks match up. When I swapped the coils wiring over the engine struggled to turn over. CR9EK plugs are in it, and I have ordered a new set. Just have to wait for them to turn up. In the meanwhile I will do a compression check and try to check the timing. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    todays over under on the no start:

Compression problem 2:1
    anything else 1:9

a video of the engine cranking will help us tell just by the sound if anything is out of order. I've shocked quite a few people telling them their problem was really a dead cylinder, but if they promised to buy me a hamburger next week, I'd actually put the gauge on to make the point directly.

as the story goes ( and yes, I always have a story) one fellow who had just finished putting an SBT engine into his ski just didn't buy into it. He put $100 down on the seat after I did , I ran inside and got the plug wrench and gauge so quick you could see on his face he knew he had already lost the bet. sure enough #2 was dead. He did eventually get the engine replaced and brought it by to get the pump rebuilt
    Link to trying to start it. Kept it brief. Whats the verdict?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sufferinghusband View Post
    Check the cam timing.

Sean

10. +1 by:

+1
    I wonder if that big fan has too much inertia for it to start.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sufferinghusband View Post
    if you have a gauge, please check the compression, if not go ahead and pull the valve cover to check the cam timing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information