Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 88-jac View Post
    And people bringing aeroplane bolts into it ������ let's compare a 90 cent BRP bolt to a 1000 dollar plus aero bolt ��������
    Cheers mate. I think I understand your viewpoint. No need for you to provide any further input.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by davus View Post
    Dude I appreciate your angle, but again this is not all about “what bolts should in use”.....this is largely about increasing my education in why there is so much debate around reusing head bolts.

I agree that ARP studs have their place......and rightly so......but again just claiming “go with arp studs and screw the rest” was not the purpose of why I started this thread.

Cheers!

To answer the question as to why there is so much debate around reusing head bolts is simply due to NOT following the shop manual. The shop manual states:

NOTICE This assembly uses stretch screws. As the previous screws have been stretched from the previous installation, it is very important to replace the old screws by new ones at assembly. Failure to replace screws and to strictly follow the torque procedure may cause screws to loosen and lead to engine damage.

Tightening torque:
    step 1: 40 Nm (30 ft/lbs)
    step 2: apply an additional 120* rotation
    step 3: apply an additional 90* rotation

The better question is why isn't the shop manual followed for this particular item? Why would anyone reuse a stock stretch bolt (stock rebuild)?
    Last edited by 1tommygunner1927; 09-23-2020 at 10:40 AM.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    To answer the question as to why there is so much debate around reusing head bolts is simply due to NOT following the shop manual. The shop manual states:

NOTICE This assembly uses stretch screws. As the previous screws have been stretched from the previous installation, it is very important to replace the old screws by new ones at assembly. Failure to replace screws and to strictly follow the torque procedure may cause screws to loosen and lead to engine damage.

Tightening torque:
    step 1: 40 Nm (30 ft/lbs)
    step 2: apply an additional 120* rotation
    step 3: apply an additional 90* rotation

The better question is why isn't the shop manual followed for this particular item? Why would anyone reuse a stock stretch bolt (stock rebuild)?
    You didn't read the previous posts or pay attention. From 2002 to 2006, the manual states that the bolts can be reused if they are within stretch limits. They only added this verbiage in 2007. And they didn't change the head bolts in 2007, they still have the same part number as they always have been. Furthermore, many high end applications (like Mercedes) have the same type of bolts with the same procedure to measure the bolts. I have the 2007 TSB book, nothing in there talks about this.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    You didn't read the previous posts or pay attention. From 2002 to 2006, the manual states that the bolts can be reused if they are within stretch limits. They only added this verbiage in 2007. And they didn't change the head bolts in 2007, they still have the same part number as they always have been. Furthermore, many high end applications (like Mercedes) have the same type of bolts with the same procedure to measure the bolts. I have the 2007 TSB book, nothing in there talks about this.
    I have read all the post in this thread several times. I have also been consistent in my comments on this topic. Shop manuals since at least 2010 (I'll take your word it going back to 2007) state to replace the stock stretch bolts, as noted in post 62. Why do you suppose BRP changed it? Why would you deviate from it?

7. +1 by:

+1

Head Bolt reuse. Sick of conflicting stories and uneducated "Opinions"

This is one of the things I was keen to understand.

I see two possible reasons for this:

1. To increase the clamping force they changed the torque spec where the bolts are torqued into the plastic zone and there is definite deformation. Upon removal the bolt is garbage, no inspection needed. What was the first year of the 255/260 hp engines? Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

2 Due to warranty, and the time it takes to properly inspect a bolt, it is just easier for dealers to replace the bolts? Whatever is written in the service manual is what dealers go by.

Just guesses on my part.

+1
    OMG this is ridiculous!

If you want to re-use them than do so. If you don't want to re-use them than don't. If you want to know why BRP changed their procedures call BRP and ask, good luck.

Maybe they wanted to sell more bolts.
    Maybe they changed the metal used in the bolts.
    Maybe they saw increased number of head gasket failures when re-using bolts.
    Maybe the future power level jumps would exceed re-used bolt specs.
    Maybe people were not measuring them correctly, not hard to do when you're checking thousands of an inch on something that wasn't machined with precision.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
    I see two possible reasons for this:

1. To increase the clamping force they changed the torque spec where the bolts are torqued into the plastic zone and there is definite deformation. Upon removal the bolt is garbage, no inspection needed. What was the first year of the 255/260 hp engines? Wonder if that has anything to do with it?

2 Due to warranty, and the time it takes to properly inspect a bolt, it is just easier for dealers to replace the bolts? Whatever is written in the service manual is what dealers go by.

Just guesses on my part.
    2008 is the first year for the 255's, X charger, and higher rpm over previous years, not to mention the inability of dealer techs to perform professional repairs.

12. +1 by:

+1
    Ya'll don't stop now. I need to hear some more scientific professional reasons to re-use a heat cycled, stressed out $12 bolt to hold the lid on a pressure cooker. RR
    Last edited by RiverRat71; 09-23-2020 at 11:06 PM.

14. +1 by:

Anyone here have any overheating issues and have to re torque their head studs ? Did it fix it for you ?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information