Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    So, now we are comparing aircraft parts (highly regulated) to SeaDoo parts? LOL
    You continually miss the point, probably on purpose. Brand new highly regulated aircraft parts are bad right out of the box. You have been shown many example brand new BRP bolts are bad right out of the bag or fail due to other means. Properly reusing TTY bolts is not out of cheapness. Same as me saying blindly buying new BRP bolts is out of laziness and lack of skill. Both statements are false and you know it, just mine will result in a proper assembly every time, lol.

+1
    A build that re-uses stretch bolts will have a higher rate of head gasket failures than one using new bolts. It may not happen to you but overall the failure rate will be higher.

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    A build that re-uses stretch bolts will have a higher rate of head gasket failures than one using new bolts. It may not happen to you but overall the failure rate will be higher.
    Nonsense. This is your opinion, not verifiable with data.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Dood View Post
    Nonsense. This is your opinion, not verifiable with data.

So you're saying a bolt that was stretched will have the same clamping force the second time it's stretched even further?

These aren't space grade materials, it's probably the cheapest stuff they can get that's still usable. For all we know the materials have changed since the time they allowed re-use if stretch was within spec.

Quote Originally Posted by davus View Post
    Youíre missing the point. Iím not saying itís right or wrong to use new head bolts, Iím looking for educated responses.

One of the questions was why BRP changed their stance on it. This may not intrigue you, but it does intrigue me.
    Im curious, do BRP main bolts use similar style bolts? Asking because I dont have any experience with BRP but have rebuilt several 1.8 Yamaha's and they are no reuse bolts.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Highboosted View Post
    You continually miss the point, probably on purpose. Brand new highly regulated aircraft parts are bad right out of the box. You have been shown many example brand new BRP bolts are bad right out of the bag or fail due to other means. Properly reusing TTY bolts is not out of cheapness. Same as me saying blindly buying new BRP bolts is out of laziness and lack of skill. Both statements are false and you know it, just mine will result in a proper assembly every time, lol.

LOL....you're confusing the issues here. Aircraft parts/inspections has nothing to do with this topic of Seadoo head bolt, stock or otherwise. Aircraft parts/inspections are very expensive, and if within certain specifications can be reused, not so for the much lower cost SeaDoo parts that do not need to meet FAA requirements.

However, and again to be clear once more, if you are rebuilding a stock engine, use new stretch bolts. Never reuse the old bolts. Same for the rocker assembly stretch. Why would you reused the stock head/rocker bolts?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OutlawGPR View Post
    Im curious, do BRP main bolts use similar style bolts? Asking because I dont have any experience with BRP but have rebuilt several 1.8 Yamaha's and they are no reuse bolts.

The SeaDoo main bolts are not stretch bolts.

I think if a stretch bolt remains within the elastic zone, it can be reused. Remaining in the zone means no permanent deformation. It should be the same length, diameter as new. One that has stretched into the plastic zone, has permanent deformation and should definitely be replaced. It would be longer than the original. I reused the head bolts on my Volvo boat motor when I did the head 10+ years ago. Still running strong.

That is my opinion anyways.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    So, now we are comparing aircraft parts (highly regulated) to SeaDoo parts? LOL
    No, weíre working towards understanding the overall characteristic of a TTY bolt.

Itís useful information I think. Not necessarily because it confirms whether we should or shouldnít reuse Seadoo headbolts, but because it provides additional context to the questions I asked.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RobJ View Post
    I think if a stretch bolt remains within the elastic zone, it can be reused. Remaining in the zone means no permanent deformation. It should be the same length, diameter as new. One that has stretched into the plastic zone, has permanent deformation and should definitely be replaced. It would be longer than the original. I reused the head bolts on my Volvo boat motor when I did the head 10+ years ago. Still running strong.

That is my opinion anyways.
    Thanks. Thatís a logical answer.

Iíd love to know (specifically) what the measurements of a brand new bolt are.

Iím not saying this is slam dunk information, but it does again provide more data points.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information