Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,184
    +1
    2,258

    Seadoo iBR, why does it (still) park the reverse bucket in the down position?

    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    ... more technology to mess up. Ever been 5miles off shore and a IBR FAULT go on and you are freaked the heck out as you can only go 5-6mph in limp mode.
    .... make your technology better. ...
    I do not understand why Seadoo persists in making the default/parked position for the iBR bucket be down. That coupled with the inability to manually raise the bucket while on the water creates a real risk that an iBR failure can strand the machine at sea.

    When a Yamaha with RiDE is shut off the Reverse bucket parks in the raised position. If the RiDE motor suddenly fails the bucket is already In the raised position.

    AND if the Yamaha RiDE bucket was to somehow get stuck in the down position, it can be manually released and raised in less than a minute. Yes, you probably have to get into the water to reach the release clip, but otherwise it is easy and quick to do. After that, no reverse or neutral, but you can ride back to shore normally.

    Is there some technical reason the iBR bucket system cannot be altered (by either Seadoo or aftermarket reprogramming) to make UP the default/parked position for the reverse bucket?


    Edit: iBR discussion posts moved out of this thread
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3098816
    Last edited by K447; 09-14-2020 at 01:28 PM.


  2. #2

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    4,821
    +1
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I do not understand why Seadoo persists in making the default/parked position for the iBR bucket be down. That coupled with the inability to manually raise the bucket while on the water creates a real risk that an iBR failure can strand the machine at sea.

    When a Yamaha with RiDE is shut off the Reverse bucket parks in the raised position. If the RiDE motor suddenly fails the bucket is already In the raised position.

    AND if the Yamaha RiDE bucket was to somehow get stuck in the down position, it can be manually released and raised in less than a minute. Yes, you probably have to get into the water to reach the release clip, but otherwise it is easy and quick to do. After that, no reverse or neutral, but you can ride back to shore normally.

    Is there some technical reason the iBR bucket system cannot be altered (by either Seadoo or aftermarket reprogramming) to make UP the default/parked position for the reverse bucket?
    it actually goes I’m neutral when you shut it off so when you start it up you don’t shoot forward. I usually move mine to the up position and leave it up so I clean easily in the pump area. I just have to remember when I start up that I don’t shoot into my bulkhead...hate when that happens. I’ve never had an ibr failure ... but I’m really easy on the brakes. I think a lot of the issue are what I would consider borderline abuse slamming the brakes on at high speeds etc over and over again. That being said I think the early motors where beasts compared to the little plastic box of parts they use now.

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,184
    +1
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    it actually goes into neutral when you shut it off so when you start it up you donít shoot forward.

    I usually move mine to the up position and leave it up so I clean easily in the pump area. I just have to remember when I start up that I donít shoot into my bulkhead....
    The Yamaha RiDE system also starts with the bucket in neutral position and the hull does not shoot forward, but the bucket is always moved to full up when engine stops. Then the bucket moves back down to neutral position when engine starts next.

    Seadoo could do the same with iBR but does not. The iBR bucket could be programmed (by Seadoo) to move to full up when the engine is stopped, and be moved back down to the neutral position when the engine next starts.

    Why Seadoo does not program the iBR bucket to park in the up position is a mystery to me. Yamaha has shown that it can be done, and RiDE works quite well. And that method has benefits that would also apply to Seadoo.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Jax,FL
    Posts
    4,821
    +1
    979
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Yamaha RiDE system also starts with the bucket in neutral position and the hull does not shoot forward, but the bucket is always moved to full up when engine stops. Then the bucket moves back down to neutral position when engine starts next.

    Seadoo could do the same with iBR but does not. The iBR bucket could be programmed (by Seadoo) to move to full up when the engine is stopped, and be moved back down to the neutral position when the engine next starts.

    Why Seadoo does not program the iBR bucket to park in the up position is a mystery to me. Yamaha has shown that it can be done, and RiDE works quite well. And that method has benefits that would also apply to Seadoo.
    I hate my ski now....thanks

  5. +1 by:


  6. #5
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,696
    +1
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I do not understand why Seadoo persists in making the default/parked position for the iBR bucket be down. That coupled with the inability to manually raise the bucket while on the water creates a real risk that an iBR failure can strand the machine at sea.

    When a Yamaha with RiDE is shut off the Reverse bucket parks in the raised position. If the RiDE motor suddenly fails the bucket is already In the raised position.

    AND if the Yamaha RiDE bucket was to somehow get stuck in the down position, it can be manually released and raised in less than a minute. Yes, you probably have to get into the water to reach the release clip, but otherwise it is easy and quick to do. After that, no reverse or neutral, but you can ride back to shore normally.

    Is there some technical reason the iBR bucket system cannot be altered (by either Seadoo or aftermarket reprogramming) to make UP the default/parked position for the reverse bucket?

    Just a guess on my part, BRP would rather the ski be idled or towed back to shore as there would be no brake function in the Yammie RiDE system if there were issues, as you describe it.

  7. #6
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,184
    +1
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    Just a guess on my part, BRP would rather the ski be idled or towed back to shore as there would be no brake function in the Yammie RiDE system if there were issues, as you describe it.
    Since the disconnection of the RiDE Reverse bucket control rod is something purposefully done by the rider while they are swimming in the water, I am not seeing a huge liability problem. The rider disables their own reverse function manually, so the rider must know there is no reverse.

    If a Seadoo is disabled at sea with a balky iBR, the rider could possibly die. Bad weather or just exposure, perhaps far from shore, and no way to override the problem and get on plane to safety. Idle speeds may not be enough to make progress against head winds or wave action.

  8. #7
    Bob 1tommygunner1927's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    8,696
    +1
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Since the disconnection of the RiDE Reverse bucket control rod is something purposefully done by the rider while they are swimming in the water, I am not seeing a huge liability problem. The rider disables their own reverse function manually, so the rider must know there is no reverse.

    If a Seadoo is disabled at sea with a balky iBR, the rider could possibly die. Bad weather or just exposure, perhaps far from shore, and no way to override the problem and get on plane to safety. Idle speeds may not be enough to make progress against head winds or wave action.

    Good points.....but people do forget things. Also, if one is going to be far off shore, never ride alone and bring the proper gear/clothing, especially a radio/cellphone to contact the coast guard in case of major trouble.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,184
    +1
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by 1tommygunner1927 View Post
    ... never ride alone and bring the proper gear/clothing, especially a radio/cellphone ...


    That is how we do it.

    We often ride in areas with zero cell signal and no coast guard services. We do carry a VHF marine radio but it is not a primary tool.

    Our primary safety involves self-recovery ability and redundancy.

    Not only two watercraft (if one fails or even sinks, we still have a ride back) but also two sets of most of the on-board safety gear. Anchors, long tow ropes and multiple docking ropes, paddle, hand tools, hose clamps, etc.

    And each PWC has a full navigation Garmin chartplotter with detailed marine charts and depth sensor.

    Each of us has an iPhone, but they are mostly used for taking pictures. Garmin marine chart app installed on each, just in case. And several weather apps.

    In the photo above we are also carrying extra fuel. We did not need it on that trip but when traveling distance in unfamiliar water I wanted to ensure fuel was not going to be a worry. There were four PWC in the group, so we were carrying enough fuel for all four.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3A61F70C-7A39-4071-90C6-52245F41F007.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	467066  

  11. +1 by:


  12. #9
    Kinda of makes sense to start in nuetral... you dont start any other vehicle in drive... your logic is backwards.

  13. #10
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,184
    +1
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by StangBanger View Post
    Kinda of makes sense to start in neutral...
    The Yamaha RiDE and the Seadoo IBR are both in neutral when the engine starts.

    The Yamaha bucket is up when the engine is off.
    The Seadoo bucket is down when engine is off.

    Why does the Seadoo iBR system need to be parked in the down position when the engine is not running?

    Yamaha has shown that the reverse bucket can be up when engine is off, and there is no lurching forward when the Yamaha engine is started. The bucket quickly moves to the neutral position as the engine starts.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How do I keep IBR reverse bucket 'open' with engine off?
    By tornado34 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-27-2013, 07:52 AM
  2. WTB: Need a reverse bucket reverse gate/bucket for a 4tec boat!
    By TurbineMarine in forum Sea Doo Sport Boats
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2012, 03:02 PM
  3. Need reverse bucket for 06 Seadoo GTX limited
    By BH03 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-03-2011, 10:50 AM
  5. FS reverse bucket seadoo 4-tec
    By RXPRacer513 in forum Sea Doo Classifieds
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 09:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •