Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Never had a single issue with my '12 first gen iBR. Saying that, it would be nice if you could simply pull the bucket up with your hand if a fault is detected and power cut to iBR.

+1
    I have never really given this much thought until reading this thread.

Most of the group I ride with are on newer generation Seadoos with iBR, the iBR operation is not one that comes up in ski discussions at the beach other than maybe one unit failure that was covered under warranty.

The area we ride can be bad for small floating wood chips and bark in the spring so it's not unusual to get one stuck in the pump. iBR position has never been a problem when fishing out the debris.

I guess my point is the bucket being down when shut off has not caused any problems so if it isn't broke...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman View Post
    Yamaha has the better designed system for "emergency use" for sure, although I have no idea of what happens engine wise if a hard RiDE system fault is detected in the Yamaha...

Anyone know?
    Next time I am messing with my GP1800 I may do some experiments.

I do know the entire RiDE system uses a single electrical connector that is reachable (awkward, but doable) with the seat lifted. Unplug that one connector and the entire RiDE system is no longer connected to the dash nor the ECU. A separate 2-pin plug disconnects (fused) battery power to the RiDE motor.

I am expecting/hoping that RiDE disconnection to generate a dash fault warning but to not limit engine power.
    Last edited by K447; 09-15-2020 at 10:53 PM. Reason: RiDE motor has a 2-pin separate power connector

+1
    I respect the fact that people have not had failures. Thats awesome and great to hear, i do however buy a unusual amount of skis every few years for my family of 6 and i for one have had my share of issues and i am as anal as they come with taking care of my stuff.

So for you lucky ones i am for sure happy for you, but i will tell you it absolutely sucks when it does happen to you and you are not close to the ramp where you launched.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Next time I am messing with my GP1800 I may do some experiments.

I do know the entire RiDE system uses a single electrical connector that is reachable (awkward, but doable) with the seat lifted. Unplug that one connector and the entire RiDE system is no longer connected to power, the dash nor the ECU.

I am expecting/hoping that RiDE disconnection to generate a dash fault warning but to not limit engine power.
    That would be interesting and useful info.

I wonder also what position the SD IBR gate winds up in when most faults occur, seems a SD could possibly benefit some forward propulsion by manually raising the gate (if it's not already in that position and feasible). It could mean a lot if limping a ski home with an IBR fault.

This topic is of interest to me because of the areas and distances our group rides. I like to try to be prepared!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Water4fire View Post
    I respect the fact that people have not had failures. Thats awesome and great to hear, i do however buy a unusual amount of skis every few years for my family of 6 and i for one have had my share of issues and i am as anal as they come with taking care of my stuff.

So for you lucky ones i am for sure happy for you, but i will tell you it absolutely sucks when it does happen to you and you are not close to the ramp where you launched.
    I think if you eliminated 5 of the 6 riders, your reliability would go way up.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    I think if you eliminated 5 of the 6 riders, your reliability would go way up.
    LMAO. Yes for sure, But i guess im stuck with them!

Not the case, unfortunately. When you disable RiDE, it goes into limp.

We have a customer that services a lot of surf tow jetskis in Hawaii. He tells us that Yamaha's used to be the favorite for towing surfers out to the large waves, but that all went out the window when Yamaha came out with RiDE. In those extreme conditions, the jetski MUST get out of harm's way, and quickly, and they have had nothing but drama with RiDE as it tends to stick in certain conditions and then goes into limp mode. When this happens, the ski is toast. A lot of them retrofit 2015+ skis with the 2014 ECUs, then fit mechanical levers to actuate the bucket, just like the older skis.

+1
    Honestly IMO I would gladly have a manual reverse again and give me the option like a spark to NOT have IBR/Ride.

10. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    ... When you disable RiDE, it goes into limp.

... surf tow jetskis in Hawaii. ... RiDE. ... tends to stick in certain conditions and then goes into limp mode. ...

I do know the entire RiDE system uses a single electrical connector that is reachable (awkward, but doable) with the seat lifted. Unplug that one connector and the entire RiDE system is no longer connected to the dash nor the ECU.

I am expecting/hoping that RiDE disconnection [will] generate a dash fault warning but to not limit engine power.
    What I am wondering is if the RiDE electrical connector is unplugged, what does the Engine ECU then allow?

A sudden RiDE failure on the water in high surf conditions, and NOT unplugging the RiDE motor connector, is different from a failure where the rider has the opportunity to disconnect RiDE.

What ‘disable RiDE’ method are you referring to?

What are the ‘stick in certain conditions’ that lead to a RiDE induced limp mode?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information