Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Why are you so concerned with this? You ride a Yamaha.

Obviously it doesn't bother us since we buy them.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Why are you so concerned with this? You ride a Yamaha.

Obviously it doesn't bother us since we buy them.
    This thread was extracted from a separate Seadoo thread discussing the new models. I thought it might be useful to have a side discussion of how iBR might be made better.

I have friends who buy and ride Seadoo. And from time to time there have been machines disabled while out on a ride by a recalcitrant iBR system. I have ridden multiple Seadoo with iBR. It works ‘fine’ (when it is working) but I have always had the feeling that it could be better.

Seadoo with IBR was ‘first’ but It seems the majority of the focus at BRP was mostly about making it less unreliable.

With the advent of RiDE from Yamaha Seadoo now has the opportunity to review what the competitor’s system might be doing different/better and implement those things that would improve iBR.

One of those things is the parked ‘engine off’ position of the pump bucket. One presumes Seadoo had their reasons for the initial design, but why stick to it?
    Why make it a special mode just to raise the iBR bucket and see inside the jet pump when engine is off?
    Why have no way at all for the rider to manually overcome an iBR failure and safety ride home on plane?

Even just strapped to the trailer, the iBR system exposes the deployed reverse bucket to damage or just interference if a tie down strap happens to press against or catch on the extended bucket.

So, what is the advantage to having the iBR reverse bucket parked in the down position?
    Other than ‘it has always been that way’ ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

That is how we do it.

We often ride in areas with zero cell signal and no coast guard services. We do carry a VHF marine radio but it is not a primary tool.

Our primary safety involves self-recovery ability and redundancy.

Not only two watercraft (if one fails or even sinks, we still have a ride back) but also two sets of most of the on-board safety gear. Anchors, long tow ropes and multiple docking ropes, paddle, hand tools, hose clamps, etc.

And each PWC has a full navigation Garmin chartplotter with detailed marine charts and depth sensor.

Each of us has an iPhone, but they are mostly used for taking pictures. Garmin marine chart app installed on each, just in case. And several weather apps.

In the photo above we are also carrying extra fuel. We did not need it on that trip but when traveling distance in unfamiliar water I wanted to ensure fuel was not going to be a worry. There were four PWC in the group, so we were carrying enough fuel for all four.

Excellent! I knew you would be on top of things! Good job!

+1
    The Yamaha RiDE and the Seadoo IBR are both in neutral when the engine starts.

The Yamaha bucket is up when the engine is off.
    The Seadoo bucket is down when engine is off.

Why does the Seadoo iBR system need to be parked in the down position when the engine is not running?

Yamaha has shown that the reverse bucket can be up when engine is off, and there is no lurching forward when the Yamaha engine is started. The bucket quickly moves to the neutral position as the engine starts.

Actually, if I pull the key rather than hit the start/off button, the IBR stays up! Will go back to neutral on start up! Or its the opposite....I forget! LOL

+1
    On my 2020 a 13mm socket and ratchet and one bolt will allow me to raise the gate - and hold it up with a zip tie - if needed. I can do from the ski. would be nice to have an easier way if it does break in the down position. Hopefully I won't have too. Enjoy.

Tim

+1
    As mention i had a IBR fault code off shore at my brothers coast house. We had 6 skis with us when it happened. I have had a few IBR’s replaced and it stinks. Anyway. My ski went into IBR fault limp mode and if you own a seadoo you know what happens!!! The dreaded 5-6mph cruise... well 5 miles out with to much current amd seas to over come the slow roll was not going to work. I was towed in by my 300tx and it was a pain in the ass. I always carry a way to pitch The in coming water line and plenty of tow rope. This far out we had to tow somewhat fast and it was not fun. But we did get back safe. Very difficult and it was only 2-3foot seas...

my wife did say she was never going out with us again, but we still do. I was just mentioning so maybe BRP CAN READ THIS and understand it has happened and will happen until the make it bullet proof. I know for sure one day it will happen to someone out Alone and that is dangerous.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by tchies View Post
    On my 2020 a 13mm socket and ratchet and one bolt will allow me to raise the gate - and hold it up with a zip tie - if needed.

I can do from the ski.

would be nice to have an easier way if it does break in the down position...
    Is this method documented somewhere?
    How to raise the iBR bucket manually while on the ski?

+1
    Is this method documented somewhere?
    How to raise the iBR bucket manually while on the ski?
    If you mean manually without power like with wrenches...it would be difficult to do if you had to be in the water moving around. Even if you got it up, if the ECU thinks you have an issue your kind of in the same spot...low power. I'm not sure if pulling the ibr fuse will let you go full power...would be interesting to see.

My general feeling/experience is that most IBR faults are the results of the harness issues/connector issues. If you harness gets submerged in salt water...it's just a matter of time before you will start having issues of one sort or another unless your very diligent about cleaning up all the connectors and apply dielectric grease as needed. Sure there are mechanical issues, but like I I'm easy on my stuff and never had an issue with an IBR on 10 skis. More of an older ski issue I'm guessing. I put that issue in the bucket I call "the next guys problem".

The IBR works really great and has been refined to the nth degree over the years. Even has adjustment mode for current while in neutral. The bucket up/bucket down thing on start has never been an issue. Usually I end up starting my ski before it hits the water on my lift and the bucket pops down...it's just not anything that ever bothered me. I'm guessing 99% of the people that clean there ski don't bother putting the bucket. Probably doesn't matter much either way...you can get the hose in there with it down.

+1
    Yamaha has the better designed system for "emergency use" for sure, although I have no idea of what happens engine wise if a hard RiDE system fault is detected in the Yammie. Limp mode?

Anyone know?

A note on unbolting the IBR actuator arm: The IBR system must first be overridden in order to align the access hole in the gate with the actuator arm bolt. (If memory serves, no?)
    Good luck with that if You are already experiencing an IBR fault.

+1
    Truthfully I couldn't care any less as to where the bucket is parked with the engine off. I do however think it's a great idea that you can jump in the water and disable it if the system fails, great work yamaha.

11. +1 by:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information