Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Back tie down ideas

We have been using the old ugly inconvenient ratchet strap tech to tie down the back of our seadoos. Anyone got a slicker way to hold your beast on the trailer??

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    I take heat for this all the time.... but
    Back straps are worthless when you really need them.
    1 strap from trailer over craft back to trailer, is the best way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	haha.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	467001  

Could you send a picture of what you speak of? And how did you get my picture?

+1

75% of the time the back straps will work,
    but watching my friends ski's bounce when I drive behind them , makes me wince the whole time..
    I understand I am the outlier in this and most things but hey I have had a ski hit from behind in traffic , fucked up his grill and I had a scratch on the nozzle ..,, But if I just had the back straps the ski would have landed inside the jeep....

Name:	strap1.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	467005   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strap.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	467006  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KEYZBUM View Post
    75% of the time the back straps will work, but watching my friends ski's bounce when I drive behind them , makes me wince the whole time..
    I use two separate ratchet straps, 1 on each side, connected directly from the trailer to the tie down points on the stern of the ski. Of course, I'm not behind it and can't see what's going on, but I doubt very seriously my ski bounces off the bunks and feel confident if I were to make an emergency stop, they would hold that ski in place.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The number one way to improve how well the rear of the PWC is held down to the trailer is to use a trailer that is actually long enough to properly fit the hull.

The majority of PWC trailers I see are way too short for the hull they are carrying.

And even if the trailer is (almost) long enough, the winch post, and therefore the hull, is often positioned much too far back on the trailer.

Having a long enough trailer is not about rated weight capacity of the trailer. It is about having the trailer frame and the bunk ends extended far enough back to fully support the hull and provide proper angles for the tie down straps.

So often I see rear straps that are angled far forward at a shallow angle, not so much holding the hull down as they are merely tensioning it forward. On a hard road bounce those angled straps are not going to prevent the hull from lifting off the bunks.

This is my current trailer configuration. My previous trailer was similar. Note that the bunks extend a few inches behind the hull rear and the hull is fully supported. The ratchet straps are vertical, or nearly so.

Also, the ratchet straps I use are 2 inches wide and have a fairly high weight/load rating. They are sold as boat transom straps. These are sold under the Boat Buckle brand, the stainless steel model. Load rated 500 pounds, breaking strength 1500 pounds. Per strap.

Imagine the entire trailer and PWC load was lifted up and inverted in the air, so the hulls are hanging from the straps. Would your inverted watercraft stay in place against the bunks? Mine probably would.

Name:	AE7DC998-73A4-45DB-9F55-E014A6733BB2.jpg 
Views:	285 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	467019  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Wow Perfect. Dam you make it hard to argue..Ok and I hate being a K447 fanboy But Damit..
    The ski and trailer act as 1
    Perfect.
    dont think I have even seen it done Perfect like that,except on a 4 place trailer.
    Mine only has th1 strap to break , your has 2 ..

8. +1 by:

+1
    Another Boat Buckle fan here!

These are the small ones, which I have switched out to the larger ones.

+1

Cool

Safe to assume this guy hasn't read through this thread

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Xspook View Post

In other threads I have posted info and photos on how I recommend setting up a PWC trailer and how the winch post, bow roller and winch strap should be configured.

I do see other trailers that are properly sized and configured for the PWC that it is carrying, but that is actually quite rare. Even among experienced PWC owners that have been riding for years, often their trailer set up is just not very good.

An undersized trailer is usually the first thing I notice. If the trailer frame and bunk ends are way forward of the hull rear, you know the rear tie down is going to be mediocre at best. At the front, no safety strap, and often the bow roller is at the wrong height and the winch strap is routed incorrectly.

If the trailer is unloaded, often you can see grooves in the bunk carpet where the hull strakes have been grinding into the carpet. Which means the bunk boards are not set up to fit the hull bottom properly.

And so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information