+1

12v low and hi temp alarms

I have a Ď97 GTX with the 787. Has a new battery and cdi. I went to start it and the screen was flashing 12v low, but it turned over like it is fully charged. The ski started up and was running fine for 20-30 seconds then just shut off. Now the screen is flashing hi temp and the ski has no power now, canít attempt to start it, no clicks or beeps. Nothing.

I am guessing the temp sensor is bad, but why would the 12v low alarm be flashing when the battery is actually fully charged?

Thanks

+1
    Could be the rectifier.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrench View Post
    I have a ‘97 GTX with the 787. Has a new battery and cdi. I went to start it and the screen was flashing 12v low, but it turned over like it is fully charged. The ski started up and was running fine for 20-30 seconds then just shut off. Now the screen is flashing hi temp and the ski has no power now, can’t attempt to start it, no clicks or beeps. Nothing.

I am guessing the temp sensor is bad, but why would the 12v low alarm be flashing when the battery is actually fully charged?

Thanks
    if you are not using a top quality AGM battery you will often see a 12v low warning right after starting. The battery voltage dipped under heavy load and the logic in the emm to throw the warning is as sensitive as old dynamite

for peace of mind put a meter on the battery to see what the actual voltage is when cranking

in regards to the current issues, sounds like you have a bad engine ground, that would also be a reason for a 12v low reading. Sometimes the cables are corroded under the insulation, makes it hard to detect.

start with a quality voltmeter. check the rear electric box for water intrusion, a common reason for no starts on the 787 motors

and where exactly did this cdi come from?..its suspect too.

as always some history on the ski is really helpful

+1
    Hi,

The cdi is a new aftermarket one. The owner didnít want to spring for an oem replacement. Everything inside the rear electrical box looks good.

I put a new temp sensor on it and it starts up and runs. Still shows low 12v warning while cranking but goes away once the engine starts. It has died a couple times on the water and shows high temp and low 12v. No power to anything after that. Unhook the battery for a few minutes then hook it back up and the ski will start back up and run good for a while up to 2 hours then do the same thing again.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    From your follow up the aftermarket Cdi is faulty

Clue: disconnecting then reconnecting to power restores normal operation

As this diagnosis always meets with a dispute, check the cdi connection carefully and test the result of simulating a high temp sensor trip with the engine idling

If the test shuts the cdi down requiring a power boop you have an indisputable answer

You failed to indicate the cranking voltage so a bad ground is still in play

+1
    The owner currently has the ski. I may not see it back until the spring.

Thanks for all the ideas and help.

Thread Information