98 challenger 1800 twin 787, aftermarket mpems?

I have a 98 challenger 1800 with twin 787s and a bad mpem, not waking up or responding to dess or 5 presses of start button, all powers and grounds measure good, all fuses are ok.
    I am quite happy to lose dess, I will fit an aftermarket transponder immo and a switch type safety lanyard.
    I am quite happy to totally rework my loom, I have worked in electronics for decades and have done 5 car and motorcycle efi conversions using megasquirt so I am happy to create my own looms and make sure everything is waterproof, properly routed and fused etc.
    Will the aftermarket 96 787 jetski mpems be adaptable to run my 98 boat engines? This are the kind I am looking at ebay item number 254154901795 .
    I cant find any aftermarket mpems that claim to be compatible with 98 787s, but that might be because the jetskis changed earlier?
    If they are not directly compatible could i fit parts off a 96 ski to my 98 engine to make them work?
    is the difference the stators and pickups or is the difference the coils or is there more fundimental differences between a 96 ski engine and a 98 boat engine?
    Where am I best to find detailled information and schematics?
    Any findings I make I will gladly share on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by smdts View Post
    I have a 98 challenger 1800 with twin 787s and a bad mpem, not waking up or responding to dess or 5 presses of start button, all powers and grounds measure good, all fuses are ok.
    I am quite happy to lose dess, I will fit an aftermarket transponder immo and a switch type safety lanyard.
    I am quite happy to totally rework my loom, I have worked in electronics for decades and have done 5 car and motorcycle efi conversions using megasquirt so I am happy to create my own looms and make sure everything is waterproof, properly routed and fused etc.
    Will the aftermarket 96 787 jetski mpems be adaptable to run my 98 boat engines? This are the kind I am looking at ebay item number 254154901795 .
    I cant find any aftermarket mpems that claim to be compatible with 98 787s, but that might be because the jetskis changed earlier?
    If they are not directly compatible could i fit parts off a 96 ski to my 98 engine to make them work?
    is the difference the stators and pickups or is the difference the coils or is there more fundimental differences between a 96 ski engine and a 98 boat engine?
    Where am I best to find detailled information and schematics?
    Any findings I make I will gladly share on the forum.
    Were you able to figure this out? Looking to do something very similar.

Thanks!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    two stock 787 mpems are pricey and if you go that route you lose the throttle neutral lockout feature and risk serious injury if say, you start the engines with the throttles open, unless you're strong on electrics and can rewire the safety switch in line with the starter solenoids

Its been done with 717's, not so sure I've ever seen it done on a 787's

I'd suggest keep looking around for a serviceable used one

welcome aboard GH!

Thread Information