SL 1050 winter rebuild

My SL 1050 gave up on me on what turned into the last ride of the season. The weather was getting cold anyway. She blew the center rod bearing, it's got about half an inch of vertical play on the crankshaft. I got a great 40 hour season out of it with minimal issues, and now I know I'm in for pulling the engine this winter for a full rebuild, which I've done on my 750 before. I'm just curious about what the best option is for a new (reman) crank and top end kits to go along with it. I've used SBT top end kits in the past without issues, but I've heard mixed reviews about their crankshafts. Pwcengine.com has also come up in my recent searches, and their prices seem reasonable. Just want to know everyone's opinions on this so I only do it once and do it right. Thanks -Andy

+1
    wsm all day...pwcengines ripped me off a lot of money with incorrect and missing parts in my order and would not answer my calls or emails ...never touch their stuff again.

Wsm is amazing, i wouldnt buy anything sbt their customer service isnt great and they are known to sell crap to make money...like stators that dont even work out of the box, wsm is the favorite with most polaris guys

I highly recommend northern crankshaft in Thief River Falls MN. John has done several cranks for me and the work is top notch, much better quality than an off the shelf rebuild. Highly recommend going that way. Thanks Sean.

I say this as someone who has rebuilt at least 100 single cylinder cranks, 2 and 4 stroke so familiar with tolerances that need to be maintained.

+1
    I've used Crankworks in the past and I'm sending another one to Northern Crankshaft this week. Crankworks did a good job rebuilding but it took me a long time to get my crank back. I'll see how Northern does but they have been great to deal with on the phone so far.

It cost about $265 to rebuild a triple crank plus parts. I had my pro 785 completely rebuilt with quality bearings and all new rods at it was about $500 for everything. It's more than the $350 pwcengine is asking but I got a crank back that looked brand new.

I would recommend Northern Crankshaft just because you're closer to them and Crankworks is in Arizona. It cost me almost $100 to ship it one way there and it cost about half that to ship to Northern.

Having one rebuilt is preferable to me because I know where the crank has been and it's mine. I know it wasn't in a salt water machine, beat up, or anything. You will get what you pay for if you spend the extra money on having it rebuilt by Northern, Midwest Crankshaft, or Crankworks.

Northern Crankshaft does seem like a quality option. WSM has reman cranks for sale, but they're out of stock right now. Their price listed is $410, but it says $300 core charge, which makes sense. I called them before I knew they were out of stock and the person I talked to said the final cost would come out to $110 after I send my core back. Has anyone done this, and is it true? It seemed quite cheap to me, but if its good quality I would definitely go that route when they come back in stock. Any other input on the situation is appreciated.
    thanks

Thread Information