Thread: GP760 no spark

+1

GP760 no spark

While I was out of town I let my BIL's family use my GP760. All adults (we're all in our 50's and 60's and respectful of equipment) not a bunch of kids. They all enjoyed riding it for several hours over the Labor Day weekend, taking the kids and grandkids for rides.

However, at one point 2 of the guys decided to swap from the Waverunner to the boat and almost immediately after swapping, it started losing power. My BIL who was piloting the boat towing his grand kids around on tubes said it sounded like it was running out of fuel. They towed it back to their pier and put it up on the PWC lift. Cranked just fine but wouldn't start. Dash displays were fine including the "START" message. They added fuel in case they'd run it out of fuel but still no start.

Yesterday my BIL pulled the two plugs out, grounded them and cranked it, doesn't appear to have any spark. Nothing blew out of the cylinders so wasn't flooded. Battery tests 12.8v. The only variable was when the the second dad got on the GP, he was trying to do it from the back and kept rocking it on it's side until he finally got on. No water in the hull though. I'm at a loss unless something like the coil pack just chose that moment to fail.

Thoughts? My daughter is coming out in a couple weeks and I want to have both my XL1200 (running fine knock on wood) and this GP760 running so we can chase each other around on the river and the Potomac.

2. +1 by:

+1
    Any thoughts? Put in a known good coil and still no spark. I'm figuring either bad charge coil or CDI.

+1
    You can test the ac voltage output of the charge coil. The only Yamaha 760 'no spark' issues I have ever come across were charge coils. Also just put a new charge coil in a 701 Raider recently as well.

+1
    I'm at a loss. Put in a new SBT stator assembly, known good coil, known good cdi. Still no spark. Cranks great, strong voltage at the battery. Get "start" on the display. Totally out of ideas at this point, other then i made a mistake when connecting all the wires in the circuit box.

+1
    Check ac voltage output while cranking on the stator charge and lighting coils.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Check ac voltage output while cranking on the stator charge and lighting coils.
    Is there any way to do that without disassembling the entire electrical box? The connectors are inside the box.

+1
    Nope.

Thread Information