4 Tec ground issue help

2007 Sea Doo GTI SE 4 Tec
    I replaced a broken timing chain, put engine back together and when I hit the start button the starter will not engage. It was starting fine prior to the chain, it has 250 hours on it, seems to be well maintained and have been stored covered. It is a new battery and tests good. Jumping the solenoid does nothing, I replaced the solenoid with one from the dealer, did not help. Starter will turn if wired direct to battery. Each of the five ground connections to the block produce infinity ohms when touched to the connected negative battery post. I donít know what I am doing and a bit stuck. I will take it to the dealer next, they are 3 weeks out to start any repairs. My buddy that has been texting me thru the battery/solenoid/starter/ohms steps says I may want to get a tone and probe and trace the wiring. Which I did but either the quality of the tool or my mind isn't making progress. One thing that is nagging me also is a left over nut and washer from the rebuild. It is a smallish one that is 10mm, looks almost brass in color, and has specks of black paint like it came off the block. I have looked everywhere and cannot determine where it came from. In the meantime, any ideas on what I might try next? I have checked all connections I can see and searched thru all the forums and videos but can't seem to get to the next step. Any help if much appreciated.

Banned User
    +1
    You have a ground cable from the battery to the block. The positive side of the battery goes to the solenoid. The other side of the solenoid goes to the starter. If you tried jumping the solenoid and nothing happened, then you either have a bad cable from the battery to the solenoid, a bad cable going from the solenoid to the starter, or the ground cable from the battery to the block is bad. And reading your other post, if you didnt repair the chain guide that broke where it attached to the block, you will have problems again.

many thanks ncdoo! I will check these out tonight. On the chain guide, that looks like it will be ok from what I am seeing. Turns out it does not have an anchor point to the block, but is being held in place by the valve cover. where the chain gouged out part of the block, it looks like that won't be an issue with the tensioner and guides keeping the chain in the correct position. time will tell, but it looked pretty good. now if I can just get it to fire up and see if I got the build right. likely headed for a reman engine given my experience level but this has been an awesome diversion and education. I can finally look at a car and not see a giant mystery. getting new tools has been fun also. the best part about the rebuild has been working with clean parts, the teardown was an oily dirty mess. Very interesting and informative reading thru the forums, lot a smart folks on here.

Banned User
    +1
    There is a bracket down by the bendix thats made into the block that the guide rests against. It normally breaks when you have a chain failure. Dont know if yours broke or not but it needs to be there to hold the guide in place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20191023-073413_Gallery.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	52.7 KB 
ID:	466921  

ok wow, now that is great information. looks like the engine is coming back out is there a way to reinstall or weld the bracket back on there?

i would look at my pictures to see but they are at the bottom of the lake with my phone i dropped in there last weekend. headed out this evening to try and retrieve it...

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by doggone View Post
    ok wow, now that is great information. looks like the engine is coming back out is there a way to reinstall or weld the bracket back on there?
    Yes I've welded them back. Actually had to fabricate the piece and then weld it on. You'll need someone that's good with TIG welding.

good to know. I am in Raleigh if i brought the block to you how much, do you do that, where are you located? Found my no start issue. i had dropped the nut that holds the starter wire on when pulling the engine, must have gotten interrupted and not noted where it came from for some reason. Upon reinstallation, i unscrewed the the nut on the starter that holds the stud stable and attached the wire with it. It started up fine once i fixed that. I should have seen that there wasn't any paint on the top of that base screw. that left over nut was driving me nuts, i know there isn't anything on the machine that isn't vital. I looked and looked at the engine, but couldn't see the starter screw. oh well, you don't know what you don't know and the picture in the manual wasn't detailed enough. If i had looked online at a picture of a starter i might have figured it out. compression looked good before i fixed the starter wire, about 125 on each cylinder, might be a little better once they warm up maybe? have i already chewed up the chain guide and distributed it throughout? It fired up at full throttle as i hadn't installed the throttle cable correctly.
    Last edited by doggone; 09-14-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: unclear

Thread Information