+1

2 quarts of oil a weekend SVHO?

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum, but been around the industry for a long time, but mostly with 2 strokes but trying to stay alive in the 4 stroke era, i know how to do basics stuff like change impeller, super charger rebuilds, oil changes, ect. I used to be car tech back in the 80's so i know my way around engines, but im just trying to familiarize my self more with some common issues with these newer skis and im getting more and more request to work on them and less and less two strokes.

I have a customer who is bring me an SVHO, i believe its either a 17 or 18, he tell me that its burn through t quarts of oil every weekend he uses it (roughly 6-10 hours) obviously this isn't normal, but is there anything specific i should look for before i pull the whole engine out?

Any general direction would be great!

PS, what diagnostics systems are independent shops using? Is Can Doo Pro the best option?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Ask the owner if there is an oil sheen on the water around the hull when he idles or runs it in smooth water.

The old style ‘stacked plate’ oil coolers were known for developing leaks. The current oil coolers are much more reliable but it is possible it is leaking oil into the outgoing water flow.

also check whether there is oil accumulating in the bilge.

And the usual, compression check, oil fouled spark plugs, etc.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I see this issue is keeping you up all night

that's alot of oil being lost. checking the oil on a yamaha can be tricky, did it it come into you low on oil? Burning that much oil will be noticeable by the smell in the exhaust and possible smoke

quite often people don't follow the procedure for yamahas resulting in overfills

outside of what 447 suggested if you have to equipment, a leak down test might be telling

first thing I'd do after pulling the plugs to see if its burning oil is to pull the rubber diaper from the back and check to see if its a nasty oily mess back there from oil leaking from the cooler into the jacket

check for oil under the engine, you can put the trailer nose high(really) to see if oil starts accumulating in the back, the bilge pump would puit that in the water, hence the suggestion for checking to see if there is a slick

how many hours showing on the clock?

The candoo is an excellent system, even more so for yamahas as the license is unlimited and the support is very good.

Its sold in the forum store btw, which helps support this joint. I strongly suggest it. Might not be much help on this one

I dropped working on two strokes years ago, no money to be made on those old souls anymore. But you need a scanner to do any significant work on newer skis.

good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

Ask the owner if there is an oil sheen on the water around the hull when he idles or runs it in smooth water.

The old style ‘stacked plate’ oil coolers were known for developing leaks. The current oil coolers are much more reliable but it is possible it is leaking oil into the outgoing water flow.

also check whether there is oil accumulating in the bilge.

And the usual, compression check, oil fouled spark plugs, etc.

The guy who owns it is not very mechanical savy, so asking him would get me a big “UHHHH” lol

i had kind of assumed that it might be the oil cooler as i read on here that they did a change not to long ago and they were having issues?
    How can i confirm if it the oil cooler if i don’t see any in the water flow? would i see something when tearing it apart?
    Would i replace it with the news model version?

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I see this issue is keeping you up all night

that's alot of oil being lost. checking the oil on a yamaha can be tricky, did it it come into you low on oil? Burning that much oil will be noticeable by the smell in the exhaust and possible smoke

quite often people don't follow the procedure for yamahas resulting in overfills

outside of what 447 suggested if you have to equipment, a leak down test might be telling

first thing I'd do after pulling the plugs to see if its burning oil is to pull the rubber diaper from the back and check to see if its a nasty oily mess back there from oil leaking from the cooler into the jacket

check for oil under the engine, you can put the trailer nose high(really) to see if oil starts accumulating in the back, the bilge pump would puit that in the water, hence the suggestion for checking to see if there is a slick

how many hours showing on the clock?

The candoo is an excellent system, even more so for yamahas as the license is unlimited and the support is very good.

Its sold in the forum store btw, which helps support this joint. I strongly suggest it. Might not be much help on this one

I dropped working on two strokes years ago, no money to be made on those old souls anymore. But you need a scanner to do any significant work on newer skis.

good luck!

I’m just trying to prepare my self for when it comes in, i have a small shop and don’t like skis sitting here longer than they have to.

Will definitely do a leak down test as well as what 447 recommend.

by diaper do you mean the coupler cover?

The customer has yet to bring it by, his appointment is in a few weeks, but he says it has 45 hours on it, all fresh water use.

Do you also use the Candoo at your shop?
    Would you say its the best option for us independent shops?
    I’ve been trying to do research before investing the $2200 on the shop system, but its hard to find information on it or even compared to other systems, my main concern is both support for the system and ease of use.

Yeah we still work on a lot of two strokes, but as of late its been mostly real enthusiast that we work with so they are will to pay to get it worked on and are just grateful that we do as most dealers are either closing their doors or just refusing to work on them as well, unlike the guys who buy am old Sea-Doo for $200 and have a heart attack when we tell them how much a carb rebuild and fun line change will cost lol

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    diaper refers to a few things on skis..in this application its the stuff installed at the rear of the pump area, a bunch of 10mm bolts holds it in place. Yamaha might have stopped using that on the later model skis

My inside space is small but my place sits on an acre of land, I don't like having too much stuff on the lot either. Luckily most of my out of town customers have storage units at the lake and I have a jailers size key ring, so I do alot of pickup/delivery ( more money too)

I use the candoo, and have for many years

You can start off small with candoo and add on as you move along, you don't have to pop for the $2200.

Start with Yamaha, and add skis brands as you need. Upgrades are quick and done over the internet

The maptuner product can do some other things and is totally stand alone. candoo needs a decent pc running windows to operate

Thread Information